Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

On 9/2/2020 at 6:57 AM, pokerdobe said:

Mittens, you've started a new trend here at NR. We'll call it the 'dirty bucket challenge.'

Now to really make it millennial/genz, we'd have to get people to drink it. 

No no no. Eating shit was allll genz. Leave us whiney millennial out of that. 😤

• Haha 3

Been busy, but need to log this for the record...

Alk dKh 7.0 this morning - this is an hour after a 2-minute dose, which means on the 'low' side would be below 7 again. 

bump the doser another minute: now up to 12 minutes a day (~18 ml), 6 times every 4 hour, 2 minute each.    

and photo to go with the post so it’s not full of boring words

September FTS

58A5C011-7C51-47D0-B295-F4023353D84A.thumb.jpeg.3ce5d4ae123d94464cff4f780493e7cb.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Alk dKh 7.0 this morning - this is an hour after a 2-minute dose, which means on the 'low' side would be below 7 again. 

bump the doser another minute: now up to 12 minutes a day (~18 ml), 6 times every 4 hour, 2 minute each.    

September FTS

58A5C011-7C51-47D0-B295-F4023353D84A.thumb.jpeg.3ce5d4ae123d94464cff4f780493e7cb.jpeg

Why is your doser set up for minutes instead of a volume? I’m curious. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Why is your doser set up for minutes instead of a volume? I’m curious. 

it's a BRS 1.1ml/min doser (as I call it, a dumb doser, one speed fits all, as dumb as it gets).  When I first ran the 10-min calibration on it, I kept getting 15 ml total volume - that's where the 1.5ml/min of dose volume came from.  The exact volume is somewhat irrelevant as long as the consistency is there, tbh.  But good point, perhaps my pump is slipping?  could be worth a check, but my alk reservoir seems to drain down at the same consistent rate as I would expect it to based on the schedule on the timer.

On to the timer, the doser is connected to a digital timer, that can be programmed for one full minute interval.  Thus, I can only add (or substract) in one-minute increments.  every 4 hours, I have the timer comes on for 2 minutes, i.e. 4:00-4:02 am, then 8:00-8:02 am, then 12:00-12:02 pm etc. 

It's ultimately easier for me to keep track of the dosage based on what the timer tells me than to really drill down to the exact volume given to the tank, since it's a nice round number.  😄  

The setup is very low tech now that my nanobox light is gone, pretty much everything runs on digital timers.....NOTHING requires me to pull my phone out when i'm next to the tank.... 😅 well, other than to snap some behind the scene photo updates and send to @Cannedfish and @pokerdobe, they're my highly-specialized (and bad for the wallet) consultants/therapists for my acro-holicsm.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

it's a BRS 1.1ml/min doser (as I call it, a dumb doser, one speed fits all, as dumb as it gets).  When I first ran the 10-min calibration on it, I kept getting 15 ml total volume - that's where the 1.5ml/min of dose volume came from.  The exact volume is somewhat irrelevant as long as the consistency is there, tbh.  But good point, perhaps my pump is slipping?  could be worth a check, but my alk reservoir seems to drain down at the same consistent rate as I would expect it to based on the schedule on the timer.

On to the timer, the doser is connected to a digital timer, that can be programmed for one full minute interval.  Thus, I can only add (or substract) in one-minute increments.  every 4 hours, I have the timer comes on for 2 minutes, i.e. 4:00-4:02 am, then 8:00-8:02 am, then 12:00-12:02 pm etc. 

It's ultimately easier for me to keep track of the dosage based on what the timer tells me than to really drill down to the exact volume given to the tank, since it's a nice round number.  😄  

The setup is very low tech now that my nanobox light is gone, pretty much everything runs on digital timers.....NOTHING requires me to pull my phone out when i'm next to the tank.... 😅 well, other than to snap some behind the scene photo updates and send to @Cannedfish and @pokerdobe, they're my highly-specialized (and bad for the wallet) consultants/therapists for my acro-holicsm.  

I just wondered- minutes of dosing instead of volume given kind of blows my medical mind. 

• Haha 2
On 9/10/2020 at 6:37 AM, mitten_reef said:

September FTS

I love the look of the orange/green flat encruster in the foreground. What’s the plan, are you going to make room for it as it pushes into zoa & shriom territory? I hope so 🙂 

• Like 1
On 9/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

I just wondered- minutes of dosing instead of volume given kind of blows my medical mind. 

Lol, volume dosing with an extra step would certainly be a nightmare in practice...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, SaltyTanks said:

I love the look of the orange/green flat encruster in the foreground. What’s the plan, are you going to make room for it as it pushes into zoa & shriom territory? I hope so 🙂 

Unfortunately, the encrusting sunset monti will likely have no home in the new tank (whenever that is set up). In the meantime, it will continue to spread on the floor of this tank unimpeded. It is almost a perfect encruster for a barebottom

tank, almost, because it’s so darn bright and steal the show from everything else. 😅

15 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Lol, volume dosing with an extra step would certainly be a nightmare in practice...

On 9/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

if we’re gonna get super technical, medicine is dosed by milligram or microgram of effective ingredient, right?  In reality, the best measurement to track, would be M-eq, which equates to roughly the direct “weight” of the carbonate you’re adding to the system, regardless of the volume.  Most alk additive show/list what 1mL provides, as far as Meq/L, which also show roughly how concentrated their liquids supplement is.  #nerdtalks

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Unfortunately, the encrusting sunset monti will likely have no home in the new tank (whenever that is set up). In the meantime, it will continue to spread on the floor of this tank unimpeded. It is almost a perfect encruster for a barebottom

tank, almost, because it’s so darn bright and steal the show from everything else. 😅

if we’re gonna get super technical, medicine is dosed by milligram or microgram of effective ingredient, right?  In reality, the best measurement to track, would be M-eq, which equates to roughly the direct “weight” of the carbonate you’re adding to the system, regardless of the volume.  Most alk additive show/list what 1mL provides, as far as Meq/L, which also show roughly how concentrated their liquids supplement is.  #nerdtalks

Actually it depends on the medication. We do have to calculate the volume of doses for nanogram/microgram/milligram/and gram, but some stuff, especially electrolytes or elements come in meq, like bicarb especially. Potassium, phosphate, sodium- all those in meq. And most are standard meq/ml so that you give only so much volume for the right dose of meq. So my dose pumps deliver volume and I dose out liquid replacements which on the label state I’m replacing such and such for so many meq per ml. What your pump is doing requires an extra step of conversion, figuring the amount of time for a given dose. And we occasionally have to do that to figure how much time it might take our med to reach the patient due to length of tubing or whatnot. But we prefer the simple math of dose per volume. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jservedio said:

This tank just keeps getting more and more incredible. I hope you are brushing up on your photography skills for your ToTM photos!

at the moment?  I'm brushing up on my dino battling skills....nothing major.  spotted some snotty bubbles toward mid last week and after a long wknd away.  From testing the other night, N~0.25 and P~0.01.   I've been raising nutrients (via Aquavitro Fuel 20-30ml a day), and adding extra bottled bacteria (AV Remediation 20ml daily).   last night was the first evening without any bubbles.  The bacteria product is only added to increase microbe diversity. but the name just happens to be just so.  

• Like 2

fending off dino while keeping the lights on isn’t for the faint of heart. The only clean section of glass yesterday. Two weeks and I’m seeing some improvement, finally, 🤞.  
Decide to clean the return pump and the gyre yesterday to improve flow throughout the tank. Spy anything new? 

5E7A5EE4-1DD3-4B7D-9EB6-70239CA9E2A4.thumb.jpeg.740132273a9af45cc96774daef276148.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

fending off dino while keeping the lights on isn’t for the faint of heart. The only clean section of glass yesterday. Two weeks and I’m seeing some improvement, finally, 🤞.  
Decide to clean the return pump and the gyre yesterday to improve flow throughout the tank. Spy anything new? 🕵️♂️ 

5E7A5EE4-1DD3-4B7D-9EB6-70239CA9E2A4.thumb.jpeg.740132273a9af45cc96774daef276148.jpeg

😫 Hate dinos, glad I was able to get through mine fairly quick. Back to battling GHA and cyano💪🏽. Your tank looks awesome still

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Decide to clean the return pump and the gyre yesterday to improve flow throughout the tank. Spy anything new? 

What’s new? It’s a literal FOREST of sticks 😳

• Like 4
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Spy anything new? 

I see frags... on frags on frags on frags. Is it the clam? But the clam's been in there awhile, hasn't it? 🤔

It's not that turban snail, is it? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2