Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

green slimer - in full fluffy mode 

#iphoneshake - can’t help it. 

8D917700-466C-4DB0-A401-63EC92846AC0.thumb.jpeg.ef601084b5d06b970dd1581e54b79799.jpeg

43FA564F-6D87-40A2-863E-7D8BB6A621A6.thumb.jpeg.a087dcc3c5a69eec23babff31d841855.jpeg

Photo nerd that I am, I actually have an extra camera tripod now and stick my phone on that so that I don’t shake it or show racehorse breathing (ever notice how you breathe FASTER when you’re trying to

hold still)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Beautiful tank. 

Do you think the tripod for the phone makes a big difference? I feel like my fiance would make fun of me (more than she already does) for taking pics with a tripod. 😛

• Haha 2
On 8/18/2020 at 8:29 AM, mitten_reef said:

No, I haven't dusted roids directly over them, but the tank does get some roids broadcast for acros in the evenings.  It's part of "waking up routine" for those pesky sun corals you got me hooked on.    

@mitten_reef may I ask what your full feeding routine is? Would love to know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SaltyTanks said:

@mitten_reef may I ask what your full feeding routine is? Would love to know.

I'm not keeping any specific schedule, but I do feed regularly, pretty much daily.  

the solid food rotation daily includes (but never in any order, I just grab whatever i feel like for the day): frozen mysis (one cube), new life spectrum pellets (a big pinch) and LRS nano (a thumb nail size chunk).  

I do 10 mL of phyto and Aquavitro Fuel, on alternating days, roughly. 

two tiny spoon of reef roid everyday, there was a pic of that somewhere in the last 5-10 pages, the tiny spoon that came with red sea calcium test kit. sometimes I throw in a cube of hikari rotifer, just to switch things up.   

hope that's what you're looking for for the answer.  I've been told that I might be feeding a little too light, my N and P tests did confirm that.  The current routine has been going on for about a month, and I'm now seeing slight increase in algae.  and my glass could probably use a weekly cleaning, instead of once every two weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I'm not keeping any specific schedule, but I do feed regularly, pretty much daily.  

the solid food rotation daily includes (but never in any order, I just grab whatever i feel like for the day): frozen mysis (one cube), new life spectrum pellets (a big pinch) and LRS nano (a thumb nail size chunk).  

I do 10 mL of phyto and Aquavitro Fuel, on alternating days, roughly. 

two tiny spoon of reef roid everyday, there was a pic of that somewhere in the last 5-10 pages, the tiny spoon that came with red sea calcium test kit. sometimes I throw in a cube of hikari rotifer, just to switch things up.   

hope that's what you're looking for for the answer.  I've been told that I might be feeding a little too light, my N and P tests did confirm that.  The current routine has been going on for about a month, and I'm now seeing slight increase in algae.  and my glass could probably use a weekly cleaning, instead of once every two weeks. 

Great, thanks!  That’s exactly the answer I was hoping for.  What has your P04 been testing at with this routine?  Do you spot feed any specific corals?  

• Like 1
On 8/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, SaltyTanks said:

Great, thanks!  That’s exactly the answer I was hoping for.  What has your P04 been testing at with this routine?  Do you spot feed any specific corals?  

Next time I test, I'll post and tag you.  I don't test my nutrients often.  

I do spot feed the sun corals, sometimes the acans. with mysis.  And most recently, started spot-feeding this guy with reef roid. By far, the most interesting thing to watch in the tank in a while - 2 min compressed to 15 sec.   

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Looking worlds better already.

sadly the bright orange one has gotten worse.  it is more reactive to food than before, but the tissue loss increased since the last time I posted. No loosed end damage or anything like that quite yet, but it def doesn’t look good. 😓

F7FB3744-5EC6-49D9-8A1D-63EA7783C327.thumb.jpeg.bbdf6b80342bac3d5c935c2e5874afeb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Aw man, that stinks. But your other one looks like its out of the woods. Not sure how much light its receiving right now, but as a last effort id plop it in a low light/flow area. Maybe even under the shading of rock. Ya never know! 

• Like 1

Have you thought about shading it more ?! Maybe on the sand bed or under the frag rack on the sand bed  ? 

I know you don't need my suggests,but gut load it with amino's and some chunky foods like lps max or something meaty. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Aw man, that stinks. But your other one looks like its out of the woods. Not sure how much light its receiving right now, but as a last effort id plop it in a low light/flow area. Maybe even under the shading of rock. Ya never know! 

25 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Have you thought about shading it more ?! Maybe on the sand bed or under the frag rack on the sand bed  ? 

I know you don't need my suggests,but gut load it with amino's and some chunky foods like lps max or something meaty. 

Thanks guys. Nice idea.  
The reason I kept it on the rack is because I was afraid that the hermit may “smell” the fresh damage (when I initially broke the skeleton) and come finished it off.  I don’t know if it’s worth risking it at this point either, probably more risky now than a few days ago when most of it was still showing a nice ring of flesh. At this point, I’m just gonna let it be, feed it when I feed the other one and hope for the best. 

• Like 1
On 8/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, Reefkid88 said:

On 8/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Well, I changed my mind. I put the scoly on the tank floor in the back corner. We’ll see how it fairs over the wknd. 

on another news: water change yield the more likely cause of recent algae increase (vs increased feeding), from my overflow chambers.  😅 

E922A90D-CDC2-4DC0-8245-3389FE16EB83.thumb.jpeg.6e8200f4c39f8866c03571fd4c99ed23.jpeg

I think NR should have a dirtiest water challenge, 😂  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Well, I changed my mind. I put the scoly on the tank floor in the back corner. We’ll see how it fairs over the wknd. 

on another news: water change yield the more likely cause of recent algae increase (vs increased feeding), from my overflow chambers.  😅 

E922A90D-CDC2-4DC0-8245-3389FE16EB83.thumb.jpeg.6e8200f4c39f8866c03571fd4c99ed23.jpeg

that’s what you call dirty? 😂

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

that’s what you call dirty? 😂

I like this, show me yours....I bet yours is pretty gnarly, not having any filtration and all that, plus gravel vac, whoa.  I have no gravel, so nothing that needs to be vacuumed out other than the back chambers. 

• Like 2
Frag Factory
7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

It's not that bad, you can still see the bottom...

This was a 3 gallon water change on my old 7 gallon system 2 weeks after buying a frogfish and power feeding him 😐

IMG_20180810_144853.thumb.jpg.76c520ee4be0b7d51bff1486edd4902f.jpg.c2850045e107ca8ad6b5c7b81f2a1629.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
7 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

It's not that bad, you can still see the bottom...

This was a 3 gallon water change on my old 7 gallon system 2 weeks after buying a frogfish and power feeding him 😐

IMG_20180810_144853.thumb.jpg.76c520ee4be0b7d51bff1486edd4902f.jpg.c2850045e107ca8ad6b5c7b81f2a1629.jpg

R u sure you can see thru that muck?  😂

I guess I've been lucky. Even when I pulled out a TON of GHA the other week, the water itself was still clean. I blast the rocks and stir the sand a few times a week though. That helps. 

50294108608_9cab2f6e89_b.jpg

• Like 3