Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

So when you have a 6 months old and can't do a whole lot of anything else on NYE, you go and take pictures of your nano reef.  

Also checked the alk, it had been raised to around 6.5 as of tonight over the last 10+ days or so. :happy: We're getting there, would like it to be around 7.5-8. 

Tonight is all top-down shots, didn't clean the glass yet.  Here we go:

Left side:

25549938628_b87cae9ebe_b.jpg

Right side (starting to see various colors other than brown:haha::

39419953591_c7a060414f_b.jpg

Couple shots of the rBTA

24554068637_67311c8f19_b.jpg

39419951601_c8a9d1b93c_b.jpg

SunnyD continues to GROW and GLOW

24554063067_331640ac0d_b.jpg

Same as the Rastas, only about half of the polyps are open

24554064957_60649af583_b.jpg

Some close-ups:

Blue acro.  I'm a bit iffy on the contrasting back drop of starburst cap, now that the cap is growing out a bit.

39419952671_9aceeb18ae_b.jpg

ORA Bird of Paradise with a very nice Acan (IMHO)

24554063887_cef33d0e20_b.jpg

Superman digi starting to show some growth

24554067827_e84ea1be7a_b.jpg

An acro pack, very happy that the far right one is gaining some colors since the move to a new tank, even though it's mostly green right now :D

24554066317_89915d731d_b.jpg

Red Dragon: this one has been gaining some growth momentum.

24554069877_dd58bed019_b.jpg

And of course, my most favorite coral in the tank is gaining its metallic sheen once again! 

24554070797_94dd362ff1_b.jpg

Hope everyone has a very fun (and safe) new year's eve celebration and bests to all in 2018!

awesome pics!!  love all the caps

• Like 1
Polarcollision

love your update. :wub: All corals are glowing and growing. Mind sharing your potassium levels? I have a theory... 

If your Leng Si Cap ever does this, I'm going to be so grateful to you for helping me find a coral I've wanted for 5 years! 

leng-sy-cap-original-picture-300x300.jpg

• Like 1

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

8 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Looking good!

Thanks! I really liked your scape, I'm gonna have to see what I can do with all existing rocks and attached corals.  It's gonna be a slow process.

8 hours ago, samnaz said:

Tank looks fantastic as always! happy new year!

Thanks. I can't wait to see your tank.  Any idea if you might go to the Lansing swap at the end of the month? 

7 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

awesome pics!!  love all the caps

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you cuz your photos are always top notch. 

5 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

love your update. :wub: All corals are glowing and growing. Mind sharing your potassium levels? I have a theory... 

If your Leng Si Cap ever does this, I'm going to be so grateful to you for helping me find a coral I've wanted for 5 years! 

leng-sy-cap-original-picture-300x300.jpg

I'm noticing some trends here. Recent posts on your thread are all about water chemistry. I've been follow along because that should be my goal for 2018.  I've been doing very little to monitor the parameters so far.  I've been keeping it very simple - regular water changes, and I started regularly dosing Ca/Alk mid-2017 manually.  As far as potassium, I can't tell ya, never tested and don't have a test kit for it yet.  Maybe Red Sea Reef Colors Pro kit should be my next test kit to buy.  I'm also secretly hoping that my leng si cap will be the "real deal" and grow the spires fingerscrossed.  You'll know about it if it does :D.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

I personally love the contrast in the sunburst and blue acro. Tank is looking wonderful. Any headway on mounting the light to the new tank?

Thanks Dave!  I'm leaning toward staying with the tank-mount rack now. I like the convenience of sliding it back-and-forth.  I have not owned any hanging fixture, so not sure how convenient it is to get it out of the way during maintenance and photos.  So I've been trying to find AI 36" classic rails, which apparently there aren't many left out there in the retails.  Or I can get very similar, perhaps identical, rails cut-to-length from 8020.net for much better price than AI.  I was also debating about adapting AI HMS system - it'd be the cleanest look, but that gets pricey.  I have not made much headway, still very in exploring options phase, haha.  So I guess, short answer is no.      

• Like 1
Polarcollision
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

I'm noticing some trends here. Recent posts on your thread are all about water chemistry. I've been follow along because that should be my goal for 2018.  I've been doing very little to monitor the parameters so far.  I've been keeping it very simple - regular water changes, and I started regularly dosing Ca/Alk mid-2017 manually.  As far as potassium, I can't tell ya, never tested and don't have a test kit for it yet.  Maybe Red Sea Reef Colors Pro kit should be my next test kit to buy.  I'm also secretly hoping that my leng si cap will be the "real deal" and grow the spires fingerscrossed.  You'll know about it if it does :D.

What salt do you use? I can find out that way :-) I personally did not like the red-sea test kits, especially the iron, iodine, and potassium tests. I did stumble upon Salifert's potassium test kit that is super easy to use. Now I might switch over to them from ELOS, though their pH test kit is harder to read than ELOS's

• Like 1

Beautiful! I have a love/hate relationship with monti caps. They are so beautiful especially once they start to grow out like yours, but then they cover everything up :rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Polarcollision said:

What salt do you use? I can find out that way :-) I personally did not like the red-sea test kits, especially the iron, iodine, and potassium tests. I did stumble upon Salifert's potassium test kit that is super easy to use. Now I might switch over to them from ELOS, though their pH test kit is harder to read than ELOS's

I’m a devoted Red Sea coral pro salt fan. If one day I get to an automatic dosing system, I may switch to blue bucket. Thanks for the heads up on the test kits. I’ll look into Salifert. 

57 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Beautiful! I have a love/hate relationship with monti caps. They are so beautiful especially once they start to grow out like yours, but then they cover everything up :rolleyes:

Thanks teeny!  I agree on the space issue that they take up. According to markalot, once the acros get happy, they should pull in more growing supplements than monti’s; that should slow down the monti’s a little. 

41 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Yeah, but if that's a Leng Si... shade away. There's always NPS stuff LOL!

Haha, I like that logic!  So I got mine from @Cultivated Reef. I’m convinced that I see some areas that might started to bump up, all the color tones are pretty much right on.  I tagged CR once to ask about the original colony, but didn’t get a response. So let’s try again here ?.  

I think I read on reefbuilder that Leng Si cap likes MH light (gotta go back to find that article). MH probably puts out a bit more purple/UV end of the spectrum. My other thought is to increase my violet channel % to be higher than blue channel.

Polarcollision

You have no idea how much I want that to be true. Look at this crazy thing!

From reefbuilders, "The shape of the Leng Sy cap can be very flat, smooth and foliaceous in moderate light, as the coral spreads out to catch as much light as possible. In higher light the Leng Sy Cap stays more compact, and begins to develop more detail and surface ridges, and a pronounced, convoluted purple edge. In very high light, the coral stays even more compact, with the lead growing edge becoming a deep purple and starts breaking up into multiple and almost folding growth margins. There is a tipping point of lighting conditions which stimulates the Leng Sy Cap to develop its telltale nodules and branchlets which themselves can also develop a purple tip."

capspic.jpg

image.png.aa209b25e9b47be6c0825a4c3e6ae5cd.png

• Like 3

ugh, over just two days between NYE and this evening, Alk dropped from 6.5 to 5.6.  I guess I can't forget to dose daily now. 

every time I think I should take some pictures, the yellow wrasse is already asleep.  Wrasses are so weird that they go to bed when the lights are still full-on. Of course it helps that they sleep under the sand.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:17 AM, micoastreefing said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Thanks! I really liked your scape, I'm gonna have to see what I can do with all existing rocks and attached corals.  It's gonna be a slow process.

Thanks. I can't wait to see your tank.  Any idea if you might go to the Lansing swap at the end of the month? 

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you cuz your photos are always top notch. 

Yes I’m going, can’t wait. It’ll be my first swap :-) are you going?

4 hours ago, samnaz said:

Yes I’m going, can’t wait. It’ll be my first swap :-) are you going?

leaning on yes, just have to check with the Mrs. I have a couple of ppl that inquired about a red dragon frag ( for trade and sale) - and that seems to be the best venue to meet, rather than risk shipping it right now. 

Trying iPhone video.

Introducing, Banana, the yellow coris wrasse.  I named my Yellow Watchman goby, Mango - so I decided to stick with the fruit theme :D.  And in the end, a little bit of swaying PE on my not-so-pretty acro.

@Christopher Marks How can I embed Flickr video to play within the post? 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/r-n-r_w/27721854619/in/dateposted/

3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Trying iPhone video.

Introducing, Banana, the yellow coris wrasse.  I named my Yellow Watchman goby, Mango - so I decided to stick with the fruit theme :D.  And in the end, a little bit of swaying PE on my not-so-pretty acro.

@Christopher Marks How can I embed Flickr video to play within the post? 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/r-n-r_w/27721854619/in/dateposted/

Nice! Love that new Banana (solid name btw.) A very cool wrasse.

I've named a lot of my tank inhabitants after food too. :lol:

FTS

39499895022_eb2ef5ce5f_b.jpg

Left Side:

27753727189_ca11ca8938_b.jpg

Right Side:

39499920162_22936d010f_b.jpg

Ric Garden in-the-making:

27753618509_1a0a6ec39d.jpg27753622899_b5a312e15a.jpg

I thought this is a pretty nice shot of my two colonies:

24662156477_0ba5105475_b.jpg

I started to see a few colors on this one again:

39499934322_8665702238_b.jpg

And here's a closer-up, with blue polyps out!  

39530163161_040ba2dcc6_b.jpg 

fingerscrossed

27753853929_1607c27889_b.jpg

And look who's no longer camera-shy:

27753870709_0d6a52e825_b.jpg

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Beautiful! I miss my yellow coris wrasse. That's a leng sy monticap, isn't it? 

Thanks @teenyreef  Aww, I think I saw that he jumped recently, right?  Sorry for your lost.  So far this one had not been the nicest to the snails, saw him pecking at them all evening so I decided that I had to feed the fish some food before it injures all my snails.  How was yours, behavior-wise?  I thought yellow wrasse is supposed to be timid and not wrasse-hole like six-line's. 

As far as the cap, this is what I have http://cultivatedreef.com/product/item-151/  I'm hoping that it is the true legend.  The stock/colony image from CR is pretty flat plating, I have mine directly under one of the LED array for quite some times now, so it's been growing quite upward.    

• Like 1

I finally caught my yellow wrasse and sent him to the sump.  He's a bully to all my other fish besides the clowns and he has killed over $30 in snails.  I am tempted to get a smaller one to try again.  They are so pretty.  But assholes.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I finally caught my yellow wrasse and sent him to the sump.  He's a bully to all my other fish besides the clowns and he has killed over $30 in snails.  I am tempted to get a smaller one to try again.  They are so pretty.  But assholes.  

One more reason to stick to the game plan when going to LFS. Impulse buys usually don’t turn out so well. ??‍♂️  Thanks for sharing the wrassehole story, I’ll definitely keep an eye out then.