Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef
26 minutes ago, spectra said:

Its when it hits 13 when you have issues......................:lol: ask me how I know...................... :sad:

lost a handful of SPS to one of those before, not fun.  oh that’s also when I lost my nice bta.  Alk spiked, nem got pissed and went walking right into the power head.  Turned into a giant water change bonanza. 

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

lost a handful of SPS to one of those before, not fun.  oh that’s also when I lost my nice bta.  Alk spiked, nem got pissed and went walking right into the power head.  Turned into a giant water change bonanza. 

Been there and it sucks..................

mitten_reef

It now looks absolutely nothing like what it used to look like. It looks like the fluorescence kinda faded into solid reddish pink. It does look like something is developing with the branch tips and the edges of the corallites.

A shot here from LFS phone camera:

ED159E32-00FB-4DEA-AECE-CE526996F558.jpeg.e3eceed4f70e428f3e8756f03c377f37.jpeg

then when it first got to my tank, also phone camera:

2C4F5DE8-C594-4660-A10F-F0CEE0F5B324.thumb.jpeg.241349c4809d838bda8ff7ad0f98ee4d.jpeg

This is just another one of those things to keep in mind when you get a mariculture coral; they will likely shift and change under your tank condition from the true natural environment.   The other thing is that they tend to be less forgiving to fluctuations in the beginning and could easily go RTN on you. As noted before, I lost one of the 3 branches that came on the cluster fairly shortly after I put it in the tank (I also tried to cut two frags from that one, so may contributed to its demise). 

• Like 8
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

looks better now IMO than before.  

4 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I agree, but I am a sucker for pink and red. 

Thanks guys. I’m not complaining. just giving some anecdotal account on wild/mariculture pieces and their penchant to change once get in your tank.  Maybe I wish that it has some fluorescence, just a little 😁. But it’s a white light stunner right now, that’s for sure. 
And that deep pink is actually pretty unique, none of my pink/red acros have similar color tone at all. 

• Like 5
second_decimal
39 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks guys. I’m not complaining. just giving some anecdotal account on wild/mariculture pieces and their penchant to change once get in your tank.  Maybe I wish that it has some fluorescence, just a little 😁. But it’s a white light stunner right now, that’s for sure. 
And that deep pink is actually pretty unique, none of my pink/red acros have similar color tone at all. 

I couldn’t agree more. Apart from photography equipment and skill, touch up etc. the color changes of a particular coral from tank to tank are Sometimes astounding 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
56 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Maybe some day one of my red ones will grow enough to frag

• Like 1

Its the same with zoas.............everyones tank is different so they morph all the time...........

and yes the acros do change..........I saw a real nice bright yellow acro the other day at the local dealer...........asked what do you think it will change to as it wont stay yellow........... :lol: he said maybe green or close to............

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, spectra said:

Its the same with zoas.............everyones tank is different so they morph all the time...........

and yes the acros do change..........I saw a real nice bright yellow acro the other day at the local dealer...........asked what do you think it will change to as it wont stay yellow........... :lol: he said maybe green or close to............

dang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

For those of you who are on multiple forums: I'm creating a second home for my tank build.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mitten_reef-im30l-soon-to-be-wb-frag-55-2.732999/

1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

Shame! Shame! 😂😂

shame-gif.gif

a lot of mixed reaction....i thought many people are already on multiple forums.......🤷‍♂️  I'm just branching out, will still be around. NR is practically the homepage on my browser....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

a lot of mixed reaction....i thought many people are already on multiple forums.......🤷‍♂️  I'm just branching out, will still be around. NR is practically the homepage on my browser....

Wait so I can reply with drivel there too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
mitten_reef

The tank trimming/cleaning out/consolidating continues prior to tank transfer, I should be able to put together one more decent sps pack (4-6 diff pieces) for any of you guys/gals who have been following/interacting on this thread.  LFS is on hold on taking in my frags due to him anticipating a move to a bigger space (yeah, interesting biz move in covid time but he seems to be doing ok/well on service side).  reply here or hit me up with pm.

Edited by mitten_reef
offer spoken for...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
59 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

How big is this tank? 

It’s 36” long and 13” tall to the rim. Kinda like having 3 x IM10 stacked side-by-side. 
IM Fusion 30 Long, ~30 gallon. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

first set of photos under T5s - let's start with gold torch  

all 4 bulbs:

4AAEBA42-9B39-41B9-80C1-99F748845FC2.thumb.jpeg.f2ba921316874e8dc75e04b7b8a78c05.jpeg

just 2 BluePlus on:

7CA49D23-97F6-433C-8626-435279F448D4.thumb.jpeg.0d00d8dc69e6ad57b69443c0031c5fc7.jpeg

Here's an iPhone pic I took a week or so ago.  It looks a little brighter than in real life, but it's closer to real life than the DSLR above.  I may start shooting DSLR in auto mode and see if it would capture lighting better than my manual mode that i've been doing.  some of the pics shot today also done in auto mode (i think the Blueplus photo above is one of the auto ones).

15A32855-8BF9-41F2-9443-559EFE77DA2F.thumb.jpeg.0921ceebcd17a3559534563dfdb064cf.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1