Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

second_decimal

seriously though.. everything looks awesome.  how do you like bare bottom? i am sort of having second thoughts and am contemplating going back to substrate.. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

seriously though.. everything looks awesome.  how do you like bare bottom? i am sort of having second thoughts and am contemplating going back to substrate.. 

it's been great, and I like it a lot.  BUT i miss all my sand dwellers, nasarius snails are some of the coolest critters, pistol shrimps (I tried a few in here, they all disappeared, not even any clicking noise), my YWG always looks a little lost and confused, but he makes his home under the cover of the ricordea rocks.  so yeah, there'll be some sand/substrate in the next tank.  I actually have a bag sitting around from when I thought I was gonna put it back into this tank.  

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

it's been great, and I like it a lot.  BUT i miss all my sand dwellers, nasarius snails are some of the coolest critters, pistol shrimps (I tried a few in here, they all disappeared, not even any clicking noise), my YWG always looks a little lost and confused, but he makes his home under the cover of the ricordea rocks.  so yeah, there'll be some sand/substrate in the next tank.  I actually have a bag sitting around from when I thought I was gonna put it back into this tank.  

So funny thing, I have a nasarius snail and my tanks bare bottom. I thought he was dead for the longest time until i saw him the other night. No idea where he goes but he's alive and well without sand. I've had him for a year maybe longer.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Not the best fts just finished scraping the glass. 
fts 6/15/2020
B13712E5-4C2A-4F95-BA14-610F51E25E55.thumb.jpeg.c37dec0a60b2fc5f3088c5874b386f79.jpeg

And I get crap for blue pics................. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4
ECLS Reefer
22 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Ok fine. Here’s a slightly better one, maybe?

9A96C1C8-4E52-4072-AE00-702D70A9366C.thumb.jpeg.b60bf14790ab598a646c01caeef77dd7.jpeg

What’s the rather phallic giant green one on the left? 🤭🙈

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3
13 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Green Slimer probably.................. :slap: you call yourself a reefer................... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

😂

56 minutes ago, spectra said:

Green Slimer probably.................. :slap: you call yourself a reefer................... :rolleyes:

😂 yup, green slimer. 
Tbh, until this shot, i haven’t noticed how much thicker it has grown compared to the rest of the sticks.
I’m always jealous of big reef tanks with showpiece green slimer anchoring the background. Can’t wait for this guy to grow up!!

Edited by mitten_reef
My phone has a habit of changing reef to reed, wtf.
  • Like 3
ECLS Reefer
46 minutes ago, spectra said:

I’m still a baby reefer, can’t expect me to know all the names of designer SPS!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Its not a designer SPS it an old school coral that almost anyone can grow..........its kind of the green star polyp of the SPS world...............

• Like 6
Snow_Phoenix
8 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

If it makes you feel any better, I originally thought it was a green staghorn. :unsure:

• Like 3
mitten_reef
33 minutes ago, spectra said:

Its not a designer SPS it an old school coral that almost anyone can grow..........its kind of the green star polyp of the SPS world...............

This 👆. Supposed to be one of those indestructible acros, that get recommended most to beginners. Yet you could hardly find a nice example in most reef tanks. Maybe because it needs a lot of room to show it’s true beauty (it also doesn’t have all the fancy rainbow colors that people go gaga about these days); and it grows fast once it is big.  

@markalot had a nice giant green slimer in his 150G at one point. 

here’s a couple of shots from an Instagram guy I follow.  you can see by its size, why it isn’t a particularly exciting specimen for nano world. 

23 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

If it makes you feel any better, I originally thought it was a green staghorn. :unsure:

The slimer is a type of staghorn so you’re right 👍. Staghorn is a basic descriptive name for any acros with thick, open branch structure, just like “tabling acros” are for cluster, flat shaped. It gets particularly slimy when disturbed, cut , or out of water, hence the name.  

• Like 6
Snow_Phoenix
38 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

The slimer is a type of staghorn so you’re right 👍. Staghorn is a basic descriptive name for any acros with thick, open branch structure, just like “tabling acros” are for cluster, flat shaped. It gets particularly slimy when disturbed, cut , or out of water, hence the name.  

I honestly didn't know that - thanks for the info! 

I've seen tiny - and I mean tiny green slimer frags at ~2" here. But the color is very drab - nothing like the bright shade of green I'm seeing in your thread. But then I've come across these huge chunks of green, purple and red 'staghorns' of up to 15" tall, with multiple branches. The colors on those are very bright. I had no idea they were the same or even similar type, because it doesn't look alike at all, even when both 'frags' are compared side-by-side. 

That's the wonderful part of this hobby - I'm still constantly learning new things, and it's amazing that even years into it, I run into something I'm not at all familiar with. :happy:

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

This 👆. Supposed to be one of those indestructible acros, that get recommended most to beginners. Yet you could hardly find a nice example in most reef tanks. Maybe because it needs a lot of room to show it’s true beauty (it also doesn’t have all the fancy rainbow colors that people go gaga about these days); and it grows fast once it is big.  

here’s a couple of shots from an Instagram guy I follow.  you can see by its size, why it isn’t a particularly exciting specimen for nano world. 

Yes the GS is a have to have coral if you ask me......…...

I need to get a nice starter piece once I figure out issues with the tank...……….

• Like 1
mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I honestly didn't know that - thanks for the info! 

I've seen tiny - and I mean tiny green slimer frags at ~2" here. But the color is very drab - nothing like the bright shade of green I'm seeing in your thread. But then I've come across these huge chunks of green, purple and red 'staghorns' of up to 15" tall, with multiple branches. The colors on those are very bright. I had no idea they were the same or even similar type, because it doesn't look alike at all, even when both 'frags' are compared side-by-side. 

That's the wonderful part of this hobby - I'm still constantly learning new things, and it's amazing that even years into it, I run into something I'm not at all familiar with. :happy:

You can see the blue stag in the back of that pic.  

The wider-view half tank shot here also shows acroporas in various growth forms very well; growth forms are species-specific, as in genetically they’re preprogrammed to grow in certain ways.  In that example, there are a few open branch (green slimer and blue stag), closed branch (the teal-ish one in the middle), bushy (the ones that form roundish clusters), and tabling (many), all in that shot.   
This is what makes it so hard to buy a straight 1-2” frags, without seeing the colonies to understand their shape and space requirements. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
10 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yes the GS is a have to have coral if you ask me......…...

I need to get a nice starter piece once I figure out issues with the tank...……….

I’m sure you won’t have a hard time finding one locally. but if you can’t, just let me know. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

That tank was epic. And that slimer almost grew out of the water in his tank.  Hated it when he chopped that thing up. He did have a bucket full of "frags" though😂 

• Haha 1
second_decimal
2 hours ago, spectra said:

I was able to kill mine in no time at all. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
18 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Me too🤣

This one is definitely my second try on the green slimer. I think I killed my first one too, that or traded it, cuz it didn’t grow up to look anything like what I expected at the time. 😅

• Like 3
3 hours ago, spectra said:

Always gotta kill someone's excitement 🙄

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I just got a GS last night. So when I read this, I was like YES!!!

7 hours ago, second_decimal said:

And then I read this. Now I'm like damn. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2