SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

I'll go against the grain. I dislike it when things try to encrust the sandbed or overflow. Makes fragging and controlling the direction of growth difficult. 

I'm with @pokerdobe on this one. I think corals encrusting the bottom glass of my tank would drive me nuts. 😅 Plus I am just a huge fan of sand. Love that natural look.

Honestly I'm sure it'll look great either way though!

• Like 3

Sounds like 3 votes for sand; 2 votes for bare; and who knows what @Ratvan is cheering for....

I'm partial to having sand myself, just felt like it already crusted enough to the point that it started to look cool. And I kinda liked the no sand maintenance the last few months.

I’m just not quite sure how I would reintroduce sand, especially now with clam in the tank. Don’t wanna deal with the potential new sand uglies either. I only have a whole bag of live sand, so I can’t add a little bit at a time like I would if I have some clean dry sand around. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Sounds like 3 votes for sand; 2 votes for bare; and who knows what @Ratvan is cheering for....

I'm partial to having sand myself, just felt like it already crusted enough to the point that it started to look cool. And I kinda liked the no sand maintenance the last few months.

I’m just not quite sure how I would reintroduce sand, especially now with clam in the tank. Don’t wanna deal with the potential new sand uglies either. I only have a whole bag of live sand, so I can’t add a little bit at a time like I would if I have some clean dry sand around. 

I get my own category? Nawww

Add sand with the Soda Bottle Trick? 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/12/2019 at 4:44 AM, Ratvan said:

I get my own category? Nawww

Add sand with the Soda Bottle Trick? 

That is one sweet trick my friend. 

My ricordea photo winning prize arrived this afternoon. Can’t wait to use some of this tool to help with my re-scape!!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Pulled the torch out just now. It was not looking good. Oh well, now just hoping the cristata is not affected by whatever it is that took down the other one. It was doing so well, I wonder if a clown decided to go rub on it or something. It looked physically beaten up from what I saw last night. 

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Pulled the torch out just now. It was not looking good. Oh well, now just hoping the cristata is not affected by whatever it is that took down the other one. It was doing so well, I wonder if a clown decided to go run on it or something. It looked physically beaten up from what I saw last night. 

What torch was it ?

Well was going to post this in my thread but....................picked this up today...............

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

What torch was it ?

Well was going to post this in my thread but....................picked this up today...............

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

Nice. Doesn’t look like the microhammer you sent me, Rasta?

This one died out of the blues. 

C3B7383C-0AEB-4D14-9157-8256571C42D1.thumb.jpeg.930d1157a1aaaa41bfe887b0810c65d2.jpeg

• Wow 1
50 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Nice. Doesn’t look like the microhammer you sent me, Rasta?

This one died out of the blues. 

C3B7383C-0AEB-4D14-9157-8256571C42D1.thumb.jpeg.930d1157a1aaaa41bfe887b0810c65d2.jpeg

Yep rasta....................3 heads maybe and splitting....................from my local dealer so..............................

What were they asking your way ?

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Pulled the torch out just now. It was not looking good. Oh well, now just hoping the cristata is not affected by whatever it is that took down the other one. It was doing so well, I wonder if a clown decided to go rub on it or something. It looked physically beaten up from what I saw last night. 

Your torch luck is my zoa luck recently. They’re all melting. Only ones still kicking are my ASD Leps and Nirvanas.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
10 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Your torch luck is my zoa luck recently. They’re all melting. Only ones still kicking are my ASD Leps and Nirvanas.

lame......................you melted my shit.................:lol:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Yep rasta....................3 heads maybe and splitting....................from my local dealer so..............................

What were they asking your way ?

$250? I think. Damn, not sure if I wanna know how much you paid. But do share 😂

Sure glad I picked up the cheap one two weeks ago, and not any of the $100+/head options. 

15 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Sure glad I picked up the cheap one two weeks ago, and not any of the $100+/head options. 

$100/head is a steal, soon, $400/head will be a steal.

Clowns in a reef tank:

BAD IDEA!!! A clown hosing any LPS is a really bad thing. There's all sorts of bacteria in their slime and when they poke the skeleton through tissue while rubbing on it, you have introduced a bacterial infection that usually spells the end for the hosted coral. With the prices that these corals are fetching, if you have a clown, it's a roll of the dice and sooner or later you're going to roll snake eyes.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

$100/head is a steal, soon, $400/head will be a steal.

Clowns in a reef tank:

BAD IDEA!!! A clown hosing any LPS is a really bad thing. There's all sorts of bacteria in their slime and when they poke the skeleton through tissue while rubbing on it, you have introduced a bacterial infection that usually spells the end for the hosted coral. With the prices that these corals are fetching, if you have a clown, it's a roll of the dice and sooner or later you're going to roll snake eyes.

Yeah two wknd ago, the guy was offering me the rasta torch ($250) and what he said are a multi head of pineapple torch (same ballpark price, can’t recall), it had a hint of yellow. Yeah, I told him I gotta start back at basics with euphyllia as my luck hasn’t been good with them lately.  

The clowns never go near the torch area as far as I know, that’s why I left the frag on the opposite side of the tank. I came up with a second “theory” this morning. 

I often use the Red Sea dosing cup to feed and dose. It’s possible that I forgot to rinse the cup after the last alk dose. When I went to mix up reef roid, I end up squirting high-alk food liquid right into the torch. But never know.  🤷🏻‍♂️  

All good points on clowns tho. It’s fun to watch them host things other than nems. But they can do some serious damage to the corals. 

On another news:

the scape v2.0 is in full swing. I’m thinking of removing ALL of my original rocks in the tank.  There’s only one rock structure from my original transfer left in here, so not as dramatic as it may sound.  But that step rock that I put together a while back will go through some changes too. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I paid 150 for it..........

• Wow 1
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

I paid 150 for it..........

Must be nice to buy direct from importer/wholesaler.  My guy just text me his potential holiday import, looks good a great price, acro colonies cheaper than liveaquaria. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Must be nice to buy direct from importer/wholesaler.  My guy just text me his potential holiday import, looks good a great price, acro colonies cheaper than liveaquaria. 

He told me he got  good deal on them direct from Australia.........plus gives me good breaks on things..........looking at getting a bigger UV and he just sells it to me for what he pays from the distributor............no mark up is nice.........he even screen shots the item to me with the price..........

• Like 1