Coral Vue Hydros

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef

I’d like to give a shoutout to @Tom@HaslettMI for his generosity. I got his used/spare refractometer in the mail last night. Thanks again Tom!

The s.g. reading came out to 1.023-1.024. So the tank wasn’t too far off, if anything it’s slightly low. 

• Like 3
On 3/21/2019 at 7:24 AM, DaveFason said:

I did not read everyones responses but be careful of some dosing products. I found certain ones increased my SG. 

This is worth buying IMO. Take a break from purchasing corals and get one. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwaukee-digital-seawater-refractometer.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexLwjBpUDHJwwWVwz1JS7uom7vYoiLKtTFYJrSB956UwcwP_cBfzQ4hoCMZ8QAvD_BwE

This is all I use...........best hundred bucks I ever spent..........

Think of all the money put into livestock.........its worth spending money on one of these.

• Like 4
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Think of all the money put into livestock.........its worth spending money on one of these.

There is no coming back from this. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Agree! Worth every penny!!!

• Like 3
Tom@HaslettMI
9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

I’d like to give a shoutout to @Tom@HaslettMI for his generosity. I got his used/spare refractometer in the mail last night. Thanks again Tom!

The s.g. reading came out to 1.023-1.024. So the tank wasn’t too far off, if anything it’s slightly low. 

Glad I could help. Your tank reef has inspired me for a long time. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
On 3/23/2019 at 3:53 PM, Polarcollision said:

Check out the vertical pillar of growth starting in the middle of my second leng sy

099759F9-9EF5-4562-A38D-054953C7DF70.thumb.jpeg.cdea4a1b558c02ff931f82b8e878ffb0.jpeg

Cool!!  Is it a little lower in the tank?  I might try a piece somewhere so it plates out flat like that, instead of steep wall. 

On 3/23/2019 at 4:39 PM, spectra said:

On 3/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, A Little Blue said:

There is no coming back from this. 

On 3/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, banasophia said:

Agree! Worth every penny!!!

You three are 100% correct, can't argue with the logic.  Sometimes, sensible/logical choice just seems to elude us reefer's minds.  But I'll be looking into one of these electronic device in the near future.   

On 3/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Glad I could help. Your tank reef has inspired me for a long time. 

Wow, you're putting it too kindly.  I'm quite surprised I've been able to "keep it simple" for this long.  

On another note, checked in on the torch last night.  One head was too far gone - blew a light puff of water (turkey baster) at both heads to see if they still react, one of them just spewed a plume of goo and there was nothing left inside the skeleton after that.  the other head seems to be holding on.  

• Like 4
Polarcollision
9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Cool!!  Is it a little lower in the tank?  I might try a piece somewhere so it plates out flat like that, instead of steep wall. 

Right!!! So excited—that’s the main draw to the leng sy for me—all those random pillars. Its mid-water directly under an LED puck, AND about 2” from a powerhead hidden behind its rock. Flow runs like a near miss behind it. It grew flat from the other location deep in shadows.

• Like 1
mitten_reef

The torch is all gone 😓

Hindsight, I should start with a basic Euphyllia to test the tank’s compatibility with them. Oh well. Live and learn, slightly expensive lesson tho 😭

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
tanacharison
44 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

The torch is all gone 😓

Hindsight, I should start with a basic Euphyllia to test the tank’s compatibility with them. Oh well. Live and learn, slightly expensive lesson tho 😭.

Despite the one coral loss your tank still looks amazing. Makes me miss the sand...

mitten_reef
43 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Despite the one coral loss your tank still looks amazing. Makes me miss the sand...

Thanks!  I figured if it was on its way out, I wasn’t gonna change much of what I was doing to piss off the sps. Especially, after knowing that it was physical trauma from the shrimp that caused the initial decline. The tank has been rock steady for the first 3 months of the year so far - 1/4 of the way thru my “steady 2019” tank goal. 

Your coralline coverage on the bottom is pretty cool, I would trade my sand in for that 😄. Thinking about doing a small bare patch with mystic sunset monti on the bottom. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

need to apply the Marie Kondo method to this tank.....

the frag rack, frag tiles, and all the unplaced frags in general are getting on my nerve.....

Will be away from the tank for a long wknd, let's see what I feel most excited to see in the tank when I get back.  😱, what if I'm excited about nothing, nah, that's not likely.

32474404637_56984e03ea_b.jpg

• Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...
mitten_reef

Added another 5% bump on all colors channels to 65% (white at 6%).  The tank has been on this setting for about 2 weeks at this point, and the acros are looking better daily.  Some exciting colors are starting to show up again.  Altho my oregon tort is decidedly "rich" teal, instead of blue 😅.

At this rate, we're just gonna skip right over the April photo updates and wait til May.  the decluttering project has not gotten very far - in fact, it got nowhere since my last post, haha.  But had promised a couple pieces to a new good home.     

• Like 3
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

to sell??

Yup, just gonna clip off a few decent frags and start them on a new, smaller rock.  While having overgrown corals is a good problem to have, it sucks when the tank is so small 🤷🏻‍♂️.  And now I won’t be able to get a new tank for a few years, went and got a second car.  I wanna try to focus more on growing acros, they grow a bit slower for me, and easier to sell if they do take off.  

• Like 3
WV Reefer
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Yup, just gonna clip off a few decent frags and start them on a new, smaller rock.  While having overgrown corals is a good problem to have, it sucks when the tank is so small 🤷🏻‍♂️.  And now I won’t be able to get a new tank for a few years, went and got a second car.  I wanna try to focus more on growing acros, they grow a bit slower for me, and easier to sell if they do take off.  

It sucks when you have to start chopping.......that left side is perfect.  But it can also be a chance to switch things up a bit and do new things.  

• Like 1
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It sucks when you have to start chopping.......that left side is perfect.  But it can also be a chance to switch things up a bit and do new things.  

Yeah, the monti island has been my pride and joy for the past 2-3 years. It even inspired me to start the monti lovers thread at one point.  

But it has outgrown its home, and I don’t have time to sell small frags here and there. I still plan to keep at least one frag of each variety, but will monitor their growth better this time around. 

• Like 2
Polarcollision

I should read earlier posts before I post. LOL. I’ve already gushed on your leng sy so I guess I’m coming back for seconds. Nice monti island!

mitten_reef

A series of two unfortunate events this morning:

1. I manually activated the dosing pump and forgot about it for about an hour(?, it turned itself off eventually). 

2. The results of that caused the rainbow BTA to go on a walk, right into the power head. 

Alk is around 10 dKH, can’t do much with water change until I get to LFS. I only have RSCP on hands, and that will more likely to raise the alk. Did 5 gallons wc anyway cuz the water was getting a bit cloudy, not sure if it was alk or BTA smoothie that actually caused it.  

So much for a good stable 2019. 

🤞🤞

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1