Coral Vue Hydros

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, Zuma said:

Thanks, that is a Nanoboxreef hybrid by @DaveFason

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

micoastreefing over on the microlados competition thread.... 

EA328F71-68E9-4334-987B-812058BB9725.gif

Hmmm, I doubt it. @Cannedfish is the guy everyone will be gunning for. 😃

27 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I love that look... so much sexier than a regular ATI retro! Did you decide on bulbs yet?

It is a very nice looking fixture, it’s still in Dave’s shop though - that’s just a preview. :ninja: 

2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Damn.

😃 now I really got no excuse if the microlados isn’t throwing branches at the end of the contest. Gotta catch up with your 10-gallon growth machine

2 hours ago, Travis said:

giphy.gif

😁 thnx. 

• Like 1
On 5/24/2018 at 7:17 PM, TheBig053 said:

micoastreefing over on the microlados competition thread.... 

EA328F71-68E9-4334-987B-812058BB9725.gif

I literally just spit a little of my water out laughing. 😛

-D

mitten_reef

Coral war update:

5/8/18 - green slimer made the first move.

28114904858_df1d10f6fd_b.jpg

5/31/2018- the plana said not so fast my friend  

42485533591_d60b21597f_b.jpg

Contemplating on putting these two further apart. @Cannedfish, even in the dark, it looks like these two acros gained some growth over 3 weeks that I wish my contest frag can get in the same span. 

One more fts before the new light arrives. 

41583280835_ce9b40b51b_b.jpg

Also thinking new light = scape reno/update. Gonna try to regain a bit more open space, getting rid of clutters, hopefully without sacrificing too much of the growth gotten so far. 

Went in to LFS the other day, they got a gold torch minicolony (3+heads) for $280!!!😭 why must it be so expensive?  @StinkyBunny, Is the Aussie gold torch typically wall-type? cuz there’s no way I can ask them to split this one - there’s no branches to cut, just one thick continuous stem. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
37 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Australian Gold Torch is usually a branching one and goes for about $30 per head. 

I thought so about the branching part.

But I definitely saw them going anywhere between 75-100 per head, even online vendor like AquaSD had them up for $100 per head recently.  We’re talking about the solid yellow-gold, right, not gold streak? Cuz I’d buy it at $30 per head on the spot, that’s impulse buy kinda price 😄.

• Haha 1
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I thought so about the branching part.

But I definitely saw them going anywhere between 75-100 per head, even online vendor like AquaSD had them up for $100 per head recently.  We’re talking about the solid yellow-gold, right, not gold streak? Cuz I’d buy it at $30 per head on the spot, that’s impulse buy kinda price 😄.

Not sure we are talking about the same species. This is the one I’m referring to:

D1220520-3D5E-41E1-908E-3DB5C261D51C.jpeg.2376a4d6a274b0f29c4b2a38faf82721.jpeg

• Wow 1
mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Not sure we are talking about the same species. This is the one I’m referring to:

D1220520-3D5E-41E1-908E-3DB5C261D51C.jpeg.2376a4d6a274b0f29c4b2a38faf82721.jpeg

Um yeah, that’s the one I actually want! And yeah, the price I’ve been seeing is $75-100 per head never heard of $30 per head before. 

House of sticks had that one on their site for a while, and it’s $99.99 per head. 

Edited by micoastreefing
Add HoS price
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Um yeah, that’s the one I actually want! And yeah, the price I’ve been seeing is $75-100 per head never heard of $30 per head before. 

Perhaps I have been out of the loop for too long but I’m pretty sure that I paid $30 per head. 4 years ago I grabbed one with 5 small heads for $80. I can check with my LFS and let you know if price have changed since my last purchase. 

If it’s true, these must be super HOT at the moment. 🤨

Probably one of the nicest torches of them all. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Just gutted out the entire bottom tier of Big Red, pruned some BoP, and major trimmed on Rastas rock. What’s the going rate for Rasta trade-in? 

The tank looks much more open, but the BTAs are pissed and hiding still. So that could change.  I didn’t wanna attempt to remove A BTA, both were planted in pretty firmly. 

Next up, get that cup of ric’s outta there and build a new ric garden on a single piece of rock. That’s for tomorrow, maybe. Enough messing with the tank for one night. 

41604028305_96a135b349_b.jpg

• Like 4
mitten_reef
On 6/1/2018 at 11:49 PM, teenyreef said:

Nice progress!

On 6/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, dpoltsdsu said:

Looking great!!

On 6/2/2018 at 1:15 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Nice work @micoastreefing, it looks better balanced now. Those monti caps were beasts! 

Thanks everyone.  I'm pretty happy with it the results.  there was a minor casualty with the leng sy cap, a ~1x2 in sliver broke off near the other green monti, but can hardly tell from FTS.  Oh, and the leather went bye bye on the same trip, I'm all in with SPS - so no more messing around with the darn leather and its purported toxins.  

Even happier still, I traded in all my unwanted corals to my new best friend (new LFS).  Got myself a nice ~3 x 3 in mini colony of Acro 😀. The guy said it'd retail for $200 for him, I thought it was a pretty fair price, given what I'd have to pay for shipping if I got something similar online. It has a beautiful white-ish base with purple/blue corallite tips all over, the polyps started to peek out last night.  I should probably take a picture of it before it changes its color in my tank 😅.  

I'm glad I went to this LFS, as I don't like dealing with cash sales to individuals.  I wish there are more nano-reefers in west michigan/Grand Rapids area.  The local sale and trade group on FB is also fairly quiet with the exception of a few "garage" vendors.  No knock on them, a lot of their stuff just aren't all that appealing to me.

• Like 2
mitten_reef

The new, supposed-to-be-$200-retail, acro (mini) colony.  I would not spend that kind of money on one - but hey it’s free fromtrade-in’s 😃

42556936922_9eba02377f_b.jpg

Red dragon survivors looking a little overly pink in this iPhone pic. I even saw polyps the other night! :happydance:

41707125235_34077a8714_b.jpg

• Like 2
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Does the mini colony have any color?

It’s a bit bland under my current temporary set up. And I tried to mess with the white channel to compensate for blue.

But the corallites have purplish blue tips with white base at the LFS, think ice-fire echinacea coloration. Really need to not use the iPhone for this one. 

mitten_reef
On 6/5/2018 at 10:55 PM, HarryPotter said:

Does the mini colony have any color?

true to form, my tank can't keep that creamy white base for long.  a hint of green is showing up throughout - a good thing, as long as the tips stay the color they were from LFS.  Speaking of the shop, they have the 4-foot AquaticLife Hybrid, mixed with 3 radion XR15pro on their main display - just wow 😍.  Now I see why some T5 veterans like yourself swear by your T5's. 

Hopefully, new light arrives this weekend, nudge nudge @DaveFason.  So I can take some pics with a real camera, AND the porthole from @Cannedfish.  

• Like 3
Cannedfish
5 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

true to form, my tank can't keep that creamy white base for long.  a hint of green is showing up throughout - a good thing, as long as the tips stay the color they were from LFS.  Speaking of the shop, they have the 4-foot AquaticLife Hybrid, mixed with 3 radion XR15pro on their main display - just wow 😍.  Now I see why some T5 veterans like yourself swear by your T5's. 

Hopefully, new light arrives this weekend, nudge nudge @DaveFason.  So I can take some pics with a real camera, AND the porthole from @Cannedfish.  

I think we can all agree that 'porthole' as a word leaves a funny taste in your mouth. It's kinda like 'moist.' God forbid you get your porthole wet that would be...dammit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Polarcollision
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Oh, that’s just fabulous! Interesting the point made about light intensity causing the vertical growth habit. It’s response is more like a plant than expected! Wish they went into trace elements a little more, I signed on to NR today in search of my Triton test results. It was low on some trace elements so I thought I’d double the additive while I’m refilling dosing containers today. Regardless, very timely article! Thanks so much for sharing.

Your Leng sy cap frag is well on its way to a beautiful colony. Nice arching bowl shape there. Happen to know or guesstimate your par? I would guess you’re right in the sweet spot the article mentions, possibly on the lower end of the range based on the shape of the mini colony arc. I so want the light intensity affect to be true. Mostly because I just absolutely adore the pillars growing out of the curly leaves in ‘the’ famous image of the original. Which tells me I want it placed at 600-1000 par. I’m almost giddy over here in hope and anticipation. 6 years. 6 years I’ve wished for this coral. Thank you again for sharing and thank you @cultivated reef for carrying this coral line!

• Like 1
mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Oh, that’s just fabulous! Interesting the point made about light intensity causing the vertical growth habit. It’s response is more like a plant than expected! Wish they went into trace elements a little more, I signed on to NR today in search of my Triton test results. It was low on some trace elements so I thought I’d double the additive while I’m refilling dosing containers today. Regardless, very timely article! Thanks so much for sharing.

Your Leng sy cap frag is well on its way to a beautiful colony. Nice arching bowl shape there. Happen to know or guesstimate your par? I would guess you’re right in the sweet spot the article mentions, possibly on the lower end of the range based on the shape of the mini colony arc. I so want the light intensity affect to be true. Mostly because I just absolutely adore the pillars growing out of the curly leaves in ‘the’ famous image of the original. Which tells me I want it placed at 600-1000 par. I’m almost giddy over here in hope and anticipation. 6 years. 6 years I’ve wished for this coral. Thank you again for sharing and thank you @cultivated reef for carrying this coral line!

pagelayout_quad_9-27_08.jpg

Well, you just made me have to go look this up.  😛  mine was sitting roughly 6", maybe a little more, from the fixture in that 400-640 zone.  The rim had flattened out slightly while the new light is being built, seems to corroborate the RB article.  In which case, the new light should give me even more power to give this guy a good blast of PAR.  I was already near maxed out on my blue (90%) and UV (95%) channels with the old quad fixture.  

@DaveFason, I don't suppose you could measure the PAR @ 6" from fixture for me before shipping it out?  Saw on another thread that you need to get a new battery for the PAR meter or something... 

• Like 1