inTank Media Baskets

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef
2 hours ago, samnaz said:

did the quad survive the spill?

Yup, it did come back alive.

But it’s back at nanobox right now. I’ve asked @DaveFason to turn it into something with a little more power and coverage, so I don’t have to deal with multiple fixture over the tank any more. 😁

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

screw acros.  let's all go softies

Funny you said that, I was just thinking of removing all of the unattractive acro frags and donate/trade them in at LFS.  Might be interesting to try a SPS-heavy tank with limited number of acros. I want a milka stylo and/or bubblegum digi, but no place for either right now.  I’m thinking about re-scaping the tank when the new light arrives, wanna wait to see the arrays placement over the tank first then figure out the rockwork after. 

On the purchase front, there was a swap locally this past wknd.  I just bought 5 more ric’s and an nps gorgonian, gonna give it one more go. 

• Like 1
ninjamyst
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Funny you said that, I was just thinking of removing all of the unattractive acro frags and donate/trade them in at LFS.  Might be interesting to try a SPS-heavy tank with limited number of acros. I want a milka stylo and/or bubblegum digi, but no place for either right now.  I’m thinking about re-scaping the tank when the new light arrives, wanna wait to see the arrays placement over the tank first then figure out the rockwork after. 

On the purchase front, there was a swap locally this past wknd.  I just bought 5 more ric’s and an nps gorgonian, gonna give it one more go. 

Same here.  I been trying to think of corals to replace the high flow high light area over my dead acros.  

• Like 1
mitten_reef

The red dragon still has two surviving frags. 

The Green slimer seems to be taking coral war to the next level - ran into its neighbor, and just decided to take over the neighbor’s branch, usurping would be a good word for this behavior by the slimer.

28114904858_df1d10f6fd_b.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef

A care package arrived today courtesy of @Cannedfish, it’s a camera porthole viewer!  Thank you @Cannedfish for your personalized note.

My photography may or may not improve with the new gadget, as my skills remain questionable.  But at least I can say I try 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
HarryPotter
41 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

A care package arrived today courtesy of @Cannedfish, it’s a camera porthole viewer!  Thank you @Cannedfish for your personalized note.

My photography may or may not improve with the new gadget, as my skills remain questionable.  But at least I can say I try 😄

Oooooo lemme see! PVC and acrylic? 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Oooooo lemme see! PVC and acrylic? 

28287616868_d5d3478f3e_b.jpg

Looks like it. This thing is massive, 4” across, made for a pro-grade camera?   Plastic protector film still on. 

@HarryPotter, extra props if you can guess the wood type/species on the table - hint, it’s a relatively unwanted type of barnwood. 

• Like 1
Cannedfish
53 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

28287616868_d5d3478f3e_b.jpg

Looks like it. This thing is massive, 4” across, made for a pro-grade camera?   Plastic protector film still on. 

@HarryPotter, extra props if you can guess the wood type/species on the table - hint, it’s a relatively unwanted type of barnwood. 

Yup had to make it big enough in case someone wanted to use the DSLR. Probably could’ve done a better job with my finish work (or finish work at all, but let’s be honest finish work isn’t an ingredient in an old fashion), but I’ll leave that to @HarryPotter when he decides to create an infinitely better and more complex version. But you can’t beat free!

• Like 2
mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Yup had to make it big enough in case someone wanted to use the DSLR. Probably could’ve done a better job with my finish work (or finish work at all, but let’s be honest finish work isn’t an ingredient in an old fashion), but I’ll leave that to @HarryPotter when he decides to create an infinitely better and more complex version. But you can’t beat free!

I think it is great! I would have ended up with a much worse end product, if I ever attempted this - which I probably wouldn’t have tried to begin with.  Thank you very much!  And yeah, free!

HarryPotter
11 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Hee hee- free is gooooood! 

There is so much scrap here, and big-ass lathes. Tempting 😆

Cannedfish
12 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Hee hee- free is gooooood! 

There is so much scrap here, and big-ass lathes. Tempting 😆

If you do go all Jimmy Neutron on this, I was to be first in line for the HP super-mega-awesome porthole 2.0 (the obvious name).  Also any ideas on fabricating a bracket to mount two AI Primes from a gooseneck (so each can pivot and the bracket looks good)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
HarryPotter
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

If you do go all Jimmy Neutron on this, I was to be first in line for the HP super-mega-awesome porthole 2.0 (the obvious name).  Also any ideas on fabricating a bracket to mount two AI Primes from a gooseneck (so each can pivot and the bracket looks good)?

What diameter is a mega porthole? Lol

I can make you all sorts of stuff if you send a drawing. Tapped too. Pretty accurate, so measure twice ;). The more machining practice the better.  

Earlier i I made a “Swiss cube”, drilled/reamed from all sides with 12 thou space in between holes. It looks better in person, and I didn’t polish it yet.  

uZQoJaj.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
44 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

What diameter is a mega porthole? Lol

I can make you all sorts of stuff if you send a drawing. Tapped too. Pretty accurate, so measure twice ;). The more machining practice the better.  

Earlier i I made a “Swiss cube”, drilled/reamed from all sides with 12 thou space in between holes. It looks better in person, and I didn’t polish it yet.  

uZQoJaj.jpg

polish that up, and it'd be a very cool desk accessories, keep a few pens in there, or just random paperweight.

Cannedfish
44 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Glad to see things turning around. Finishing your new toy. :D

He needs it quick so I can finally nominate him for tank of the month! I figure the tank needs a few weeks to rebound from the light swimming experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
8 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

He needs it quick so I can finally nominate him for tank of the month! I figure the tank needs a few weeks to rebound from the light swimming experience. 

thanks for a vote of confidence.  But really, this tank is gonna need a lot more time to recover.  I think your tank had zoomed pass mine, regarding coral health and overall fullness of the tank - while I've been pretty much bumbling around in the dark, pun intended.  Oh and with your doser keeping things steady, your SPS growth is gonna take off.