Jump to content
mitten_reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

Recommended Posts

DaveFason

Shoot! I will contact today. Thanks guys!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

took out the nice camera today in hope of taking the pics of the grow-out contest frag. well the frag wasn't cooperating.

here's the rest of the tank

We have a breach!

39904040795_7350977439_b.jpg 

 

100's of SunnyD's

39904037665_eaac1b75c1_b.jpg

 

we've got an interesting situation here, so far no coral warfare.  Blame that blue one, it was the beginning of the acro obsession. sigh.

38988797120_c3485cc13f_b.jpg

 

Rastas field

38988788380_646dc16006_b.jpg

 

right-side tank; see some extra zoas I got today on the floor, they're unopened.

39904015955_2154f1b92d_b.jpg

 

left-side tank

25927119057_ed133570e8_b.jpg

 

Ric garden: the colors on these are unreal tonight.

38988758290_03960aa268_b.jpg

 

Thought this was a cool shot; 4 tiers in the making

39904150465_e79899c349_b.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Polarcollision

Cultivated Reef owes you an extra goodie. I just bought the leng Si cap. :-)

 

Sorry about the leopard. I hope she pulls through. Wrasses are less likely to be infected with parasites than other fish - so I've read. Is there any chance her mouth is injured?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
37 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Cultivated Reef owes you an extra goodie. I just bought the leng Si cap. :-)

 

Sorry about the leopard. I hope she pulls through. Wrasses are less likely to be infected with parasites than other fish - so I've read. Is there any chance her mouth is injured?

@Cultivated Reef, see above hehe. That leng si sure is pretty :-).  So is the big Bird of Paradise on the tank floor, that's another stunner that CR offers.  I'd never have another reef tank without BoP.  So is that the 'extra' piece that you were waiting for before placing the acro contest order? 

 

leopard was a goner a while ago, thanks for thinking of her tho.  I also recently lost a yellow coris wrasse. :wacko: None of the wrasses had any injury that I knew of.  I think it's was most likely due to lack of graze-able food in my tank. As you can see, I don't have any areas where microfauna can take refuge within the display area. And while I feed fairly heavy, I feed only every couple of days - that also probably contributed to their demise.  I've kept six-line quite happily in the past, so this week I placed an order at the LFS for one.  In fact, the last 6-line was so fat and happy, it became dominant over all tankmates that i had to remove it.   

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
DaveFason

Now having the same cap in my tank for a few months I am blown away with its fast growth. I swear you can see growth daily! 

 

Keep up the great work. It is paying off. 

 

-D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Cannedfish

Somebody needs to recommend this for tank of the month already!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Polarcollision
19 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

@Cultivated Reef, see above hehe. That leng si sure is pretty :-).  So is the big Bird of Paradise on the tank floor, that's another stunner that CR offers.  I'd never have another reef tank without BoP.  So is that the 'extra' piece that you were waiting for before placing the acro contest order? 

 

leopard was a goner a while ago, thanks for thinking of her tho.  I also recently lost a yellow coris wrasse. :wacko: None of the wrasses had any injury that I knew of.  I think it's was most likely due to lack of graze-able food in my tank. As you can see, I don't have any areas where microfauna can take refuge within the display area. And while I feed fairly heavy, I feed only every couple of days - that also probably contributed to their demise.  I've kept six-line quite happily in the past, so this week I placed an order at the LFS for one.  In fact, the last 6-line was so fat and happy, it became dominant over all tankmates that i had to remove it.   

 

 

Ice fire echinata. :-) though the BoP is sure nice. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Now having the same cap in my tank for a few months I am blown away with its fast growth. I swear you can see growth daily! 

 

Keep up the great work. It is paying off. 

 

-D

:lol:, @DaveFason is talking about the red one, btw, not the leng si. 

9 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Somebody needs to recommend this for tank of the month already!

you're too kind sir.  my tank is still young from acro growth perspective, things are just beginning to grow.  I still got ways to go to even be considered along other great SPS TOTMs that I look up to.  I do hope to get there one day tho.  And I swear this thing started out as a mixed reef <_<.  

 

24 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Ice fire echinata. :-) though the BoP is sure nice. 

oh yes! that's definitely on my must-have list too.  I got one from CR as part of my first frag pack two years ago. It was my first major foray into acros, suffice to say it was a hard one to be a starter acro - i couldn't keep it alive :(.  wonder if i'd do better next time around.  Will be following along on your frag for sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ninjamyst

love those rics!  hope all is well here!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00

That monti is insane. 

 

Bummer about the wrasse issues, but the tank looks amazing . 

Share this post


Link to post
HarryPotter

I have no clue how you have acros and ricordias; my rics shrivel! 

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I have no clue how you have acros and ricordias; my rics shrivel! 

Because you have 58382ut749t watts of light burning them to death. 

 

:lol:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
On 3/17/2018 at 10:25 AM, ninjamyst said:

love those rics!  hope all is well here!

Thanks!  Your ric garden is still my dream goal. I really hope things get better with your tank. 

11 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

That monti is insane. 

 

Bummer about the wrasse issues, but the tank looks amazing . 

Thanks! I’m hoping the monti will slow down a little, now that the acros are hitting their strides. 

7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I have no clue how you have acros and ricordias; my rics shrivel! 

I didn’t know that they don’t do well together?  Is it mainly parameters issue? I run my tank fairly simple - no skimmer, no media reactor. Just floss and a tiny bit of media in a bag though.  maybe that keeps the ric’s happy?

Share this post


Link to post
HarryPotter
9 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks!  Your ric garden is still my dream goal. I really hope things get better with your tank. 

Thanks! I’m hoping the monti will slow down a little, now that the acros are hitting their strides. 

I didn’t know that they don’t do well together?  Is it mainly parameters issue? I run my tank fairly simple - no skimmer, no media reactor. Just floss and a tiny bit of media in a bag though.  maybe that keeps the ric’s happy?

 

Im not sure exactly, but big beautiful ricordias just shrivel and disappear in my tank while they thrive in my uncles tank. The main difference (that I know of) is that his tank has significantly lower lighting, 4 bulbs and 22 inches deep. Mine is 8 bulbs and around 18 deep. 

 

So so that’s why I thought acros and ricoridas didn’t mix well- lighting requirements. 

 

I just do floss and skimmer as well :) Didn’t fall for that “wet water” intank scam! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
On 3/20/2018 at 11:40 PM, HarryPotter said:

 

Im not sure exactly, but big beautiful ricordias just shrivel and disappear in my tank while they thrive in my uncles tank. The main difference (that I know of) is that his tank has significantly lower lighting, 4 bulbs and 22 inches deep. Mine is 8 bulbs and around 18 deep. 

 

So so that’s why I thought acros and ricoridas didn’t mix well- lighting requirements. 

 

I just do floss and skimmer as well :) Didn’t fall for that “wet water” intank scam! 

My ric’s sit as far from the bright rays of NBR as they could possibly be. My quad actually shifted to the right side of the tank to give the acros maximum coverage.

If lighting was the issue, I think you should try yuma’s. I heard they love light, and they got some crazy colors on them these days. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

Just finished waterchange - quite possibly the nicest bubbles I’ve seen on my BTA. 

26127325667_6e7ef3a1e3_b.jpg

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer

Just caught up on the last two months!  ........

 

Things are looking tight! B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
HarryPotter
16 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Just finished waterchange - quite possibly the nicest bubbles I’ve seen on my BTA. 

26127325667_6e7ef3a1e3_b.jpg

 

 

Purty! I have never understood why some BTAs lose (or gain?) their bubbles. Mine has always had bubbles, but I know one of its many splits that I sold lost it’s bubbles in about a month, despite appearing quite happy and large. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
17 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Just caught up on the last two months!  ........

 

Things are looking tight! B)

Thanks for stopping by. 

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

 

Purty! I have never understood why some BTAs lose (or gain?) their bubbles. Mine has always had bubbles, but I know one of its many splits that I sold lost it’s bubbles in about a month, despite appearing quite happy and large. 

Thanks, i love it!  The bubbles on mine come and go. But they look the nicest when the light is heavy on the blue spectrum.  

27127565778_c721fff356_b.jpg

I hope these guys grow up to fill a rock like Rasta’s behind them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
DaveFason

There are few things that look "cooler" in a reef tank than the bubbles on a RBTA. 

 

Great work! 

-D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

Just clowning around

P3250744P3250751P3250737P3250729P3250742

 

A bit more photodump to come this evening, including contest acro frag. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
tanacharison

This tank is really nice! One of the local LFS has really nice bubble tips but I'm too afraid to pull the trigger. I'll just enjoy other reefers anemones like you!

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

This tank is really nice! One of the local LFS has really nice bubble tips but I'm too afraid to pull the trigger. I'll just enjoy other reefers anemones like you!

Thanks for stopping by!  

 

I do enjoy the BTA very much, I actually traded in a couple of clownfish way back because they didn’t want anything to do with BTA. Got this guy (or gal now), and she immediately went into it.  

 

It used to split every 3-4 months, and one of them would start to wander around. Those were nervous times. 

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

Good thing contest acro isn’t the red planet, I can’t get one to grow to save my life - this frag is over two years old  ?.  If this was my first acro, I would probably have given up.

P3250782

 

Another acro that hasn’t grown for me in two years?  The strawberry shortcake in the foreground, and it’s solid pink when it isn’t supposed to be. ? 

P3250733

 

Two of my three-frag side order from the acro contest.  I’ve been very selective with my zoas, as I just want fields of classic names. Now adding utter chaos and blondie to my sunny D’s and Rastas fields.

P3250687

 

Nice view of the red dragon

P3250734

 

Putting SPS on the sand bed?  Not a problem for this BOP when @DaveFason‘s NBR quad cranking out the light it needs  

P3250747

 

This Fiji yellow leather has been brown for a long time. Not sure what causes the recent color infusion. Now I just need that neon yellow glow all over. 

P3250781

 

I really want one of these irregular bumps to turn into the Leng Sy “spires” one day. 

P3250726

 

Here’s what the tricolor palawanensis, aka big red, looks like under all blue, not too shabby I must say.

P3250794

 

Oh and here’s the contest frag

P3250717P3250682

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef

Ahhh, that leng sy is so awesome...just ordered one with my contest frag!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...