Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

BearTheSquare
On 7/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, mitten_reef said:

Let’s play a game of where’s Waldo, more like where’s Rasta? 😂

08B275CE-00A5-4018-83BA-C74208995AD2.thumb.jpeg.91b3ff5e9f79a9e8ded2e9f35c17b3e3.jpeg

That’s about what my zoa gardens turning into lol. I’ve been thinking about chopping back my scrambled eggs, but I like their colors too much and have never fragged anything off a rock before. 

• Like 3
On 7/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, mitten_reef said:

please tell me this means the OP survived the crash.

08B275CE-00A5-4018-83BA-C74208995AD2.thumb.jpeg.91b3ff5e9f79a9e8ded2e9f35c17b3e3.jpeg

Vey nice looking. Trying to get a garden going myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

So I don’t think you need either of these two, or you probably won’t have a hard time finding them near you.  But, yes, dibs to you. 
These two are must have’s for me: JF Beach Bum and the WD...

13692A30-0815-4519-9AA3-D63A420E17E5.thumb.jpeg.152665c0bffdfea1c43af402928222cf.jpeg

Such classics! That SCOP to the left looks fantastic as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

So I don’t think you need either of these two, or you probably won’t have a hard time finding them near you.  But, yes, dibs to you. 
These two are must have’s for me: JF Beach Bum and the WD...

13692A30-0815-4519-9AA3-D63A420E17E5.thumb.jpeg.152665c0bffdfea1c43af402928222cf.jpeg

Nice! My WD died in my crash lol. 

There's actually sort of a lack of nicer encrusting montis around me - or maybe I've never looked hard enough because I've never had much luck with them... which really sucks since they look so nice. 

So yes, dibs. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

So yes, dibs. 

if they take off at the rate of SCOP, you'll be the first one I call.

3 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Is the 30 gonna become a frag tank permanently when you setup the new one? sorry if I missed that somewhere.... 

nope, one tank rule.   the transition might be slow-going at first.  it seems the rocks will get wet this wknd, but not the new tank.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

if they take off at the rate of SCOP, you'll be the first one I call.

nope, one tank rule.   the transition might be slow-going at first.  it seems the rocks will get wet this wknd, but not the new tank.

I am a one reef guy too. FW different story. Do me a favor and keep frag racks out of the new one 🥰😘

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

My philosophy is one tank is best tank.

• Like 2
mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I am a one reef guy too. FW different story. Do me a favor and keep frag racks out of the new one 🥰😘

zero frag rack!   I'm putting together a frag table out of the shelf rocks, that will sit in the back corner of the tank.  I'll try to have it look like a floating platform, because let's be real I'll need a place to park frags whether incoming or outgoing - probably aim for about 6 to 8 frag capacity so it won't look overly large.    

5 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

My philosophy is one tank is best tank.

I can totally be on board with this, except you just started a frag tank as your second.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

zero frag rack!   I'm putting together a frag table out of the shelf rocks, that will sit in the back corner of the tank.  I'll try to have it look like a floating platform, because let's be real I'll need a place to park frags whether incoming or outgoing - probably aim for about 6 to 8 frag capacity so it won't look overly large.    

I can totally be on board with this, except you just started a frag tank as your second.  😉

got em

On 7/17/2020 at 7:39 PM, mitten_reef said:

please tell me this means the OP survived the crash.

Have your zoas been morphing at all? Most of my zoas are of the speckled and choas variety so as soon as they come in contact with other zoas the ones bordering have slight different coloration. 

I assume its like how cross pollination works with daisies and flowers? could be talking out of my ass here too 😄 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

probably aim for about 6 to 8 frag capacity so it won't look overly large.    

6 to 8 frags on a rack at a time pshhhh.. let me be the first to call bullshit on this one🤣... once its running I give it 3 months before the frag racks are back in the tank lol.. 

You ever consider having a light and frag racks in the sump??

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

6 to 8 frags on a rack at a time pshhhh.. let me be the first to call bullshit on this one🤣... once its running I give it 3 months before the frag racks are back in the tank lol.. 

this guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

If i can purge (sell/trade/giveaway) what I think I can, this tank move will be a major consolidation and removal of all not-panned-out acros, I'll have 0 frag to start.  And the future frags will likely not accumulate at the same rate coming in.  No, I haven't considered in-sump frag area.  

3 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Those r sum reel nice frags yous got thur, partner!

we shall see how they do.  

• Like 2

in sump frag area could be kinda cool.......... Just get a cheap amazon led or AI prime.... hmmmmm

I like this idea for next build.... 

dont forget the sump fish! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I'll have 0 frag to start. 

Says the guy who bought new frags for the new tank before it's even wet!!!!😂😂😁..

I am excited to see how this new tank fills in.. never really followed any tanks that have the much branch rock.. cursious to see how you like it.. did you have another tank you had seen as inspiration or is the scape just something you have been envisioning?🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Says the guy who bought new frags for the new tank before it's even wet!!!!😂😂😁..

Let's just say the deal is too good to pass up.

5 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I am excited to see how this new tank fills in.. never really followed any tanks that have the much branch rock.. cursious to see how you like it.. did you have another tank you had seen as inspiration or is the scape just something you have been envisioning?🤔

yeah the branch rock will be interesting to scape (that's mostly done), the next challenge is coral placement.  It's just something that sparked when I found the branch on craigslist.  having big branches allow many more acros to be placed closer to each other, without having their base run into each other when they start encrusting (say when I put one on each branch tip, for ex).  Also this is sort of the inspiration, I love how open the lower portion of the tank looks and things sprawl out at mid-tank level; his tank is at a much larger scale 😅.  

• Like 3
mitten_reef

Ok after a full-ish day in the tank. WD is a little less shy. Beach bum is doing its thing, just glows. 
top down with only the two Blue+ on. 

F407E106-DFF2-492E-B91F-0A1A4F820B5C.thumb.jpeg.dd77ce3444a57fd80f1998e21d647187.jpeg

front shot

5B19078B-289C-4A70-9A04-AE82116A1094.thumb.jpeg.bf34be5d9c405e9befd8ebb9ba2a4895.jpeg

with all the colorful frags and the zoas garden down below, this is easily the most colorful corner of the tank 🥰🥳

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
11 hours ago, BearTheSquare said:

That’s about what my zoa gardens turning into lol. I’ve been thinking about chopping back my scrambled eggs, but I like their colors too much and have never fragged anything off a rock before. 

I love the scrambled eggs. Luckily (maybe?), mine are all encrusted on the tank bottom. So hopefully when I go to clear it out, they’ll just “peel off”. 

11 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

Vey nice looking. Trying to get a garden going myself.

Yeah try to start with even amount. The aren’t many rastas mainly because it was added last after everyone else had established. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

6 to 8 frag capacity so it won't look overly large

You tell yourself what you need to....

I have capacity for about 60 frags and they're usually close to full most of the times. 

• Haha 1