Coral Vue Hydros

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I think I bumped up the blues/violet to 85% a week or so ago.  I'm bumping it again to 90% now.  Light is about 5" above the rim. 

Almost all acros are happy as ever, except the wild pink millie/prostrata.  I have multiple pieces placed throughout the tank; the one closest to the surface has bleached tips, while the lower ones have started to show more pink.  Don't think it was related to light tho, as the tips had been white for longer than the light increased, but not "growth white".   Need some photos to document these. 

Hmm - nutrient related? I know you were low nutrient for a while, could be the impact from prolonged exposure to low PO4/NO3?

mitten_reef
1 minute ago, pokerdobe said:

Hmm - nutrient related? I know you were low nutrient for a while, could be the impact from prolonged exposure to low PO4/NO3?

haha, too many factors to pin down - new import acclimation, light, nutrients, also placed in a direct trail of where the alk dosing would blow passed.  I thought it was alk-related tip burn due to low nutrients earlier.  but my alk had been slowly drifting down to 7 and below, to the point that I added another minute to the doser last week.  I could pop it off its location and see if it'll show any sign of recovery.

The other pieces from the same colony (I broke i up into a few 2"+ chunks) are doing well throughout the tank, so I'm still Ok if this one doesn't recover.   

mitten_reef

You think there will be some algae popping up in the center of the ring soon?

Finally popped the sunset Monti frag Off the tank floor, and I’m left with a circle where the snails can’t get to. Pretty stark contrast to the rest of the bottom glass, on how much snails keep things clean in here. 

257F82C9-F63F-4A8E-B831-5196274EFF07.thumb.jpeg.d3e6e6d52cbd9a350ca16fe4306f681a.jpeg

• Like 2
mitten_reef

I think my torch is undergoing head-splitting.  The tentacles are bunching up weirdly.  It was a very large, single-mouth/single-head frag at the time of purchase. 🤞. let’s check back after the weekend. 
5F516AFA-F762-4BF8-AC35-A958D730069D.thumb.jpeg.379c1d161666d3caafea2936d10850f5.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I think my torch is undergoing head-splitting.  The tentacles are bunching up weirdly.  It was a very large, single-mouth/single-head frag at the time of purchase. 🤞. let’s check back after the weekend. 
5F516AFA-F762-4BF8-AC35-A958D730069D.thumb.jpeg.379c1d161666d3caafea2936d10850f5.jpeg

That's exactly what mine did. It takes awhile but I'd say since I've had mine it's easily doubled in size. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Looking like it. They take FOREVER to finish with a true flesh split. Settle in!

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Looking like it. They take FOREVER to finish with a true flesh split. Settle in!

They split almost wall like. Aussie torches are just way chubbier than indos haha 

• Like 2
mitten_reef

Growing out PC Rainbow on the tank floor, cuz why not? 🤷🏻‍♂️  One of the many perks of a shallow tank. 
6BBBA525-196B-4312-BB7F-132B10C3A8E9.thumb.jpeg.e40c489c150060a614d72f25c3ab7330.jpeg

this has grown from just an encrusted base of a frag plug. I clipped the actual frag to mount on the rock 3 months ago. 

• Like 5

That stuff doesn't like high light so will love it down there...…...

I made the mistake of having it towards the top...……..didn't turn out well at all...…...

• Like 1
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

I made the mistake of having it towards the top...……..didn't turn out well at all...…...

Interesting, the mounted frag is mid way up the tank right next to my Oregon tort, and it loves it there too. 

also I cut these yesterday. 

6B19AC9F-3CAD-4FD0-8F75-7EED8266908A.thumb.jpeg.78223cac1ab01811c585179886f7a86c.jpeg

because they were rubbing with the green slimer sprouting up right below them - didn’t want any coral warfare.  Pic below is after the cut, showing the two green slimer branches shooting up toward the dragon.  I would really hate to have to relocate the main piece, we’ll see what the slimer does the next few weeks. 

D5CC8284-D787-462F-801C-5516EDB65E4F.thumb.jpeg.182fd82441d9d91f5c9e3c6818c7a87a.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Growing out PC Rainbow on the tank floor, cuz why not? 🤷🏻‍♂️  One of the many perks of a shallow tank. 
6BBBA525-196B-4312-BB7F-132B10C3A8E9.thumb.jpeg.e40c489c150060a614d72f25c3ab7330.jpeg

this has grown from just an encrusted base of a frag plug. I clipped the actual frag to mount on the rock 3 months ago. 

I get better color out of PCR when it's in the lower light areas of my tank, so bottom is probably perfect. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spectra said:

Interesting... 

My pc rainbow is on the top and my lights are pretty high set. 

It's encrusted a ton and growing new branches of all colors. Truly becoming a full rainbow colony. 

Everyone's reefs are different I guess 🤷‍♂️

If you see my graph. My UV and Royal Blue are at the same percentage. Peak is about 75%. 

My T5s don't too to much because they're actinics but I think my next bulbs will be blue +. Or maybe 1 blue + and one actinic

Screenshot_20200318-082706.png

Sticks!.jpg.70cc4355c9f9cbcfca870ef316bfb3fa.jpg

• Like 4
On 3/7/2020 at 11:56 AM, mitten_reef said:

Thanks!  That’s super tempting. I just DMd you on Instagram. 

Go for it 😀

On 3/7/2020 at 11:56 AM, mitten_reef said:

Thanks!  That’s super tempting. I just DMd you on Instagram. 

Go for it 😀

• Haha 1
mitten_reef

Gotta say, no clue what they’re saying, but this account is pretty darn awesome to follow to see what “colonies” really mean, whether it’s the giant bommies or a field of acros.  Enjoy. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Gotta say, no clue what they’re saying, but this account is pretty darn awesome to follow to see what “colonies” really mean, whether it’s the giant bommies or a field of acros.  Enjoy. 

This makes me want to buy a 6'x6' cube, plant 2-3 acros down and stock it full of chromis. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
11 minutes ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

ASD Rainbow looks like it is starting to encrust as well! Looking good!

Starting to lay down base! Lost some orange tho, weird.
The acid trip is still bright neon, but have some really tight flesh around the base, almost STN like, the polyps are still around.