Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Tom@HaslettMI

Weren’t you considering a larger tank recently?  Here’s my recommendation... 

get the bigger display and use the current tank as a sump/frag tank. Win-win. 

I also echo @Matteo on getting frag rack out of the display. 

Tom

• Like 3

I see a red sea in your future :lol: hell if you were out here there everywhere...………. seems people are getting out and a few good deals on smaller ones. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Don’t have a sump just IM 30L AIO, kinda why I need more space. 

Yes, I get the maintenance point. But if the secondary purpose is for having redundancy, why would you wanna plumb them together?  If the system failed, they’d all fail, vs a separate standalone system. 

Yeah, thought about a simple 20 long, definitely no HOB.  I think I need more floor space and volume than that to justify additional chore efforts. 

Why no HOB? 

You're gonna sump your frag tank? 

mitten_reef
32 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Weren’t you considering a larger tank recently?  Here’s my recommendation... 

get the bigger display and use the current tank as a sump/frag tank. Win-win. 

I also echo @Matteo on getting frag rack out of the display. 

Tom

Yeah, around the holidays. But eventually it was scrapped, until the next house. 

26 minutes ago, spectra said:

I see a red sea in your future :lol: hell if you were out here there everywhere...………. seems people are getting out and a few good deals on smaller ones. 

Yeah, I wish. There aren’t any used Red Sea around here 😞 .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
mitten_reef
1 minute ago, Matteo said:

Why no HOB? 

You're gonna sump your frag tank? 

Tunze 3163 internal filter is what I have in mind. Never owned a hob, but know that it definitely won’t fly with the mrs. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Tunze 3163 internal filter is what I have in mind. Never owned a hob, but know that it definitely won’t fly with the mrs. 

Roger that. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yeah every month at least one pops up. 

TBH I think I like Waterbox more however

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Matteo said:

Well there made in the same factory............its all a chinese factory.............and well right now good luck getting a tank new :lol:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 hours ago, Matteo said:

I love my waterbox. It's such a nicely built tank and the all in one you just can't beat. I love being able to hide everything in the back.

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well there made in the same factory............its all a chinese factory.............and well right now good luck getting a tank new :lol:

Interesting, i didn't know that actually. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I love my waterbox. It's such a nicely built tank and the all in one you just can't beat. I love being able to hide everything in the back.

Interesting, i didn't know that actually. 

Not 100% sure but I think the RS, WB, IM, Cad Lights and am sure a few more are all made in the same factory..............all those tanks are made in China so unless there are a few factories................

My local guy told me that right now tanks are just not available.............

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Not 100% sure but I think the RS, WB, IM, Cad Lights and am sure a few more are all made in the same factory..............all those tanks are made in China so unless there are a few factories................

My local guy told me that right now tanks are just not available.............

That's crazy! Well good thing I have a 75 gallon tank 🤣

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's crazy! Well good thing I have a 75 gallon tank 🤣

Well with the virus it pretty much shut everything down............. He was getting emails saying if it doesnt show in stock dont order............... I know he had the new big red sea tank in his shop and was going to set it up as a display.........well customer asks to buy one and well cant get one so out the door it went...............

• Like 3
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, spectra said:

Well with the virus it pretty much shut everything down............. He was getting emails saying if it doesnt show in stock dont order............... I know he had the new big red sea tank in his shop and was going to set it up as a display.........well customer asks to buy one and well cant get one so out the door it went...............

Shiit this whole virus thing is gonna disrupt some serious economy. 
@patback, you’re in HVAC right?  We got a project that a chiller got delayed cuz all the control boards were coming out of China, even if the actual physical parts are built here. Have you seen anything like that on your side?

2 hours ago, spectra said:

Not 100% sure but I think the RS, WB, IM, Cad Lights and am sure a few more are all made in the same factory..............all those tanks are made in China so unless there are a few factories  

Yeah, they all look the same now.  If they’re not built at the same shop, they’re probably down the street from each other - where all the assembly and construction “innovations” have been shared/begged/borrowed/stolen.  

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

@patback, you’re in HVAC right?  We got a project that a chiller got delayed cuz all the control boards were coming out of China, even if the actual physical parts are built here. Have you seen anything like that on your side?

Yeah, they all look the same now.  If they’re not built at the same shop, they’re probably down the street from each other - where all the assembly and construction “innovations” have been shared/begged/borrowed/stolen.  

I heard that about washing machine parts just tonight- someone ordered a new washer and dryer but it’s back ordered because the parts come out of China

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I haven't seen anything like that yet, but then again I am in service and not installs.  Hell, parts take long enough as it is.  I dont see why viruses wouldnt make it twice as long. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you end up going the frag tank route, I am taking mine down in preparation for my move this year.  It's acrylic 20 x 18 x 8 I think with two rack trays.  Paid $200 for it.  You can have it for $100.  Comes with MJ1200 pump.  

• Wow 3
mitten_reef
9 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

If you end up going the frag tank route, I am taking mine down in preparation for my move this year.  It's acrylic 20 x 18 x 8 I think with two rack trays.  Paid $200 for it.  You can have it for $100.  Comes with MJ1200 pump.  

Thanks!  That’s super tempting. I just DMd you on Instagram. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, spectra said:

Oh really? I just reeeeeally like waterboxes lines and seals. I also think their stands are a bit nicer. They also are almost 1/2 the price of red sea too... 

Yeah I ain't upgrading for a minute 😭 

Low key someone local offered to trade me their Sr80 for my Nuvo since they wanted to downsize and consolidate..

Thought about it hard but too much of a hassle right now and my light is a two foot light and the sr is 4ft.

I probably won't upgrade till fall winter next year if I do

• Like 1
17 hours ago, spectra said:

Wait! Did someone back out of the 900xxl or whatever it's called? 

I know they ordered it and set it up in the store by the wall but I thought it was going somewhere? 

7 hours ago, Matteo said:

Wait! Did someone back out of the 900xxl or whatever it's called? 

I know they ordered it and set it up in the store by the wall but I thought it was going somewhere? 

The customer who ordered it went with a 10' tank instead............going to build a stand for it..........so someone else bought the 900 last saturday........

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
51 minutes ago, spectra said:

The customer who ordered it went with a 10' tank instead............going to build a stand for it..........so someone else bought the 900 last saturday........

Wtf. What do they do? Lawyer? Doctor? Dirty cop? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, mitten_reef said:

Yes, I get the maintenance point. But if the secondary purpose is for having redundancy, why would you wanna plumb them together?  If the system failed, they’d all fail, vs a separate standalone system. 

Added water volume for additional redundancy. Plus, I've never been able to run a frag tank that's as well maintained and in line with parameters as my display. 

But that's probably just a personal limitation. I often found myself completely neglecting the frag tank, forgetting to top off, not doing w/c, etc. At the end up the day, the frag tank was an ugly mess that never took off. Just a bunch of browned out acros and discolored zoas due to neglect. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
On 3/8/2020 at 10:46 PM, pokerdobe said:

Added water volume for additional redundancy. Plus, I've never been able to run a frag tank that's as well maintained and in line with parameters as my display. 

But that's probably just a personal limitation. I often found myself completely neglecting the frag tank, forgetting to top off, not doing w/c, etc. At the end up the day, the frag tank was an ugly mess that never took off. Just a bunch of browned out acros and discolored zoas due to neglect. 

I'd probably feel the same if I were to have a sump-based system.  right now it just feels like it'd be nice (in theory/dreamland) to have separate system for redundancy. Why am I so concerned about system-level redundancy?  @HarryPotter can probably tell you about his encounter with AEFW that wipes out all the acro colonies in his Reefer 350 (hence, not much activity on his journal lately) - a frag system plumbed into that display wouldn't do anyone any good.  

It looks like the clam got a little beat up over the weekend, while we were away - those dang fish, and i'm quite sure that it's the pygmy angel that led the attack - stupid fish.  

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I'd probably feel the same if I were to have a sump-based system.  right now it just feels like it'd be nice (in theory/dreamland) to have separate system for redundancy. Why am I so concerned about system-level redundancy?  @HarryPotter can probably tell you about his encounter with AEFW that wipes out all the acro colonies in his Reefer 350 (hence, not much activity on his journal lately) - a frag system plumbed into that display wouldn't do anyone any good.  

Fair enough. Pros and cons to everything. 😄 My dreamland has multiple 6' frag tanks plumbed to my display lol. 

Did you end up turning up your lights at all? How're the acros responding?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
mitten_reef
10 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Fair enough. Pros and cons to everything. 😄 My dreamland has multiple 6' frag tanks plumbed to my display lol. 

Did you end up turning up your lights at all? How're the acros responding?

I think I bumped up the blues/violet to 85% a week or so ago.  I'm bumping it again to 90% now.  Light is about 5" above the rim. 

Almost all acros are happy as ever, except the wild pink millie/prostrata.  I have multiple pieces placed throughout the tank; the one closest to the surface has bleached tips, while the lower ones have started to show more pink.  Don't think it was related to light tho, as the tips had been white for longer than the light increased, but not "growth white".   Need some photos to document these. 

• Like 2