SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef

44 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well i know who to call when I add T5's to the Kessil 😄

aquatic life and giesemann both make nice T5 hybrid. They’re bring-your-own-led style. 

15 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

What did you settle on for bulb combo?

two blue plus in the front, coral plus middle back, then another blue plus. They were carryover from when I tried out the Sunpower a while back. 

7C4CE800-9271-4D64-80E1-1FA48747E45F.jpeg

C9E0A69A-30DD-4072-8EDB-59580F2BD770.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

aquatic life and giesemann both make nice T5 hybrid. They’re bring-your-own-led style. 

two blue plus in the front, coral plus middle back, then another blue plus. They were carryover from when I tried out the Sunpower a while back. 

7C4CE800-9271-4D64-80E1-1FA48747E45F.jpeg

C9E0A69A-30DD-4072-8EDB-59580F2BD770.jpeg

I don't think I can get those in the UK without parting with my left nut. I'll shop around though thanks

• Like 2
mitten_reef
54 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I don't think I can get those in the UK without parting with my left nut. I'll shop around though thanks

Haha, I lost an arm and a leg chasing light fixtures. Even when I got them all for a deal/steal thru second hand purchases, it still hurts a little to think how much was spent strictly on lighting solutions of this tank. 😂🤯

• Haha 2
mitten_reef

came home and the fixture fans won’t come on.  the led was about to hit peak midday, it got nice and toasty.  good thing I unplugged the T5s before headed out for errands.  fml. Back to the old fixture for now until I can be sure that the new one is fully functioning again 

• Sad 1

hmm is the heatsink not big enough to support the led's without the fans? I have never turned my fans on in years on my hybrid although I don't run an acrylic shield on it either. It probably shortens the lifespan of my t5 bulbs but I like the silence.

How hot does your heat sink get? 

The middle of mine gets to be pretty damn toasty. 

I can leave my hand on it but it's pretty damn hot. 

I know leds run hot but should I be worried? I have like 4 fans in the fixture but could probably do some rewiring and moving around to help with more airflow. 

I'm just not sure what the Nanobox arrays can handle. 

Should the heatsink be only warm at the most? Because like I said. It's hot..but everything seems dandy? 

mitten_reef
24 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

hmm is the heatsink not big enough to support the led's without the fans? I have never turned my fans on in years on my hybrid although I don't run an acrylic shield on it either. It probably shortens the lifespan of my t5 bulbs but I like the silence.

16 minutes ago, Matteo said:

How hot does your heat sink get? 

The middle of mine gets to be pretty damn toasty. 

I can leave my hand on it but it's pretty damn hot. 

I know leds run hot but should I be worried? I have like 4 fans in the fixture but could probably do some rewiring and moving around to help with more airflow. 

I'm just not sure what the Nanobox arrays can handle. 

Should the heatsink be only warm at the most? Because like I said. It's hot..but everything seems dandy? 

Just the led? Probably ok without fans  with 4 T5s? Those tubes run really hot comparatively speaking. 
i think it’s wiring issue somewhere. The white channel didn’t come on earlier (fixed with a quick jiggle at bluefish connector).  The problem is that I can’t fix this fixture until I figured out the bluefish that came with it; otherwise I had to take down the other nanobox to borrow bluefish from there.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Just the led? Probably ok without fans  with 4 T5s? Those tubes run really hot comparatively speaking. 
i think it’s wiring issue somewhere. The white channel didn’t come on earlier (fixed with a quick jiggle at bluefish connector).  The problem is that I can’t fix this fixture until I figured out the bluefish that came with it; otherwise I had to take down the other nanobox to borrow bluefish from there.

Ohh no I have 4 t5s on as well. 4 nanobox pucks and 4 T5. No fans...several years now.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
49 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ohh no I have 4 t5s on as well. 4 nanobox pucks and 4 T5. No fans...several years now.

How toasty does your sink get people?! 

I need to know 👀👀👀👀

I ran 8 pucks on mine with no fans...............fans were on only when the 6 T5s were going...............

Oh and my sink only gets warm when I turn on the hot water................ @Matteo :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
3 hours ago, Matteo said:

I need to know 👀👀👀👀

The current nanobox hybrid isn’t too hot with the fan running, way less temp than what was blowing out from a 4-bulb Sunpower T5.  Just never knew how hot it’d be without fan. 

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It probably helps that your fixture is “opened”. These hybrid bodies are fully enclosed even the heat sink is capped off with two cover plates (in blue below), the underside has an acrylic splashguard covered the whole thing. So the fan is needed to move the heat out of the fixture for sure. I supposed I could run it without the cover plates if the fans are dead. 
15043636-EDBB-4FFC-9934-D67E4D7E519C.thumb.jpeg.7fa2cf972698108314ffeacedd1ad48c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

I ran 8 pucks on mine with no fans...............fans were on only when the 6 T5s were going...............

Oh and my sink only gets warm when I turn on the hot water................ @Matteo :biggrin:

I really think the T5s are the one that need the fans the most. 

• Like 3

yeah the T5s get hot.............although my new fixture on the 750 has no fans and look at Pokerdobe his fixture is the same way...........

• Like 2

I think I'm good to go then. Overall fixture doesn't stay too hot. "Heat sink" 😛 gets pretty toasty in the middle but like normal electronic toasty.

If I didn't have fans the fixture wouldn't do great for long I think. May need to reopen and see if I can get some more air still... 

But if it ain't broken kinda thing 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

yeah the T5s get hot.............although my new fixture on the 750 has no fans and look at Pokerdobe his fixture is the same way...........

They’re open-tube design with sealed sockets, right? Vs Sunpower’s click-n-twist sockets, which require a splashguard. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

They’re open-tube design with sealed sockets, right? Vs Sunpower’s click-n-twist sockets, which require a splashguard. 

No the ones I have are click n twist but do have a small splash guard over the first 5” or so on the ends. About 4’ of bulb is exposed. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Random note:

The green slimer has never been fluffier than the past two days. I’ve had a hard time keeping the stems and base fluffy in the past. 
5A10912E-BDA3-4F7E-AEFA-699AC85B988E.thumb.jpeg.f93fe151dc77715bc61528d8150355d1.jpeg

Decided to check what alk might be to bring on such fluffiness.  Alk is at 7.0 tonight an hour after 1-minute dose. Which probably means on the low side, I’m below 7.0 for parts of the day.  Add an extra 1-min dose to the timer. 

new alk schedule. 
8.00-8.01 pm

12:00-12:01 am

4:00-4:02 am

8:00-8:01 am

2:00-2:01 am

total 6 mins a day; this is on the BRS 1.1 ml/min doser, running more around 1.5. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Matteo said:

I need to know 👀👀👀👀

Burn ya if you touch it but LEDs seem to be able to get pretty damn hot and be okay. A quick look at cree shows 185 degrees. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Random note:

The green slimer has never been fluffier than the past two days. I’ve had a hard time keeping the stems and base fluffy in the past. 
5A10912E-BDA3-4F7E-AEFA-699AC85B988E.thumb.jpeg.f93fe151dc77715bc61528d8150355d1.jpeg

Decided to check what alk might be to bring on such fluffiness.  Alk is at 7.0 tonight an hour after 1-minute dose. Which probably means on the low side, I’m below 7.0 for parts of the day.  Add an extra 1-min dose to the timer. 

new alk schedule. 
8.00-8.01 pm

12:00-12:01 am

4:00-4:02 am

8:00-8:01 am

2:00-2:01 am

total 6 mins a day; this is on the BRS 1.1 ml/min doser, running more around 1.5. 

You have me debating getting a Bluetooth doser for my alk as well..... 

• Like 2
mitten_reef

Thinking of setting up a frag tank to move all the frags from the main display. 

• Pros?
  • cons? (extra $$ is the obvious here, but what else?)
  • pitfalls/issues to be aware of? (Wifey’s consent is obvious here 😅, but trying to make a budget conscious setup for sure)

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

• Pros?
  • pitfalls/issues to be aware of? (Wifey’s consent is obvious here 😅, but trying to make a budget conscious setup for sure)

It depends if your plumbing it into the main display or not.  I am going to set up a 50 gallon lowboy in a year or so when I can frag everything.  I want to be able to frag everything so I can have a backup of every piece and then hopefully only frag from those.  

cons is that it’s a whole new system to care for unless you plumb it into the display.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

• Pros?

PLEASE. 

Get those ugly ass bulky ass blocking display ass frag racks out of there! 

Make your frag tank as simple as possible. 

15g breeder, hob filter, heater, simple light for the sake of growing and not aesthetics, egg crate, simple circulation pump. 

Using the used market I best you could do this all for under $150 all day 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
31 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

It depends if your plumbing it into the main display or not.  I am going to set up a 50 gallon lowboy in a year or so when I can frag everything.  I want to be able to frag everything so I can have a backup of every piece and then hopefully only frag from those.  

cons is that it’s a whole new system to care for unless you plumb it into the display.

Don’t have a sump just IM 30L AIO, kinda why I need more space. 

28 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I've gone this route before. Don't do it unless it's all plumbed together. 

Yes, I get the maintenance point. But if the secondary purpose is for having redundancy, why would you wanna plumb them together?  If the system failed, they’d all fail, vs a separate standalone system. 

26 minutes ago, Matteo said:

PLEASE. 

Get those ugly ass bulky ass blocking display ass frag racks out of there! 

Make your frag tank as simple as possible. 

15g breeder, hob filter, heater, simple light for the sake of growing and not aesthetics, egg crate, simple circulation pump. 

Using the used market I best you could do this all for under $150 all day 

Yeah, thought about a simple 20 long, definitely no HOB.  I think I need more floor space and volume than that to justify additional chore efforts. 

• Like 1