Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

On 12/4/2019 at 8:45 PM, spectra said:

Private seller ?

No, the same guy I got the Millie from. I went back to him to grab the tenuis colony.  894EA4C4-DDD8-466F-B196-E0E06D1D3493.thumb.jpeg.b0cccf1efae91f42f1b4d84bc1cce61b.jpeg

Man, my iPhone gives me crap pics today. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The sun corals both black and orange aren’t looking too hot.  Did a water change last night for the first time in over two weeks. So let’s hope that all the new additions perk up a little bit this weekend.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

The sun corals both black and orange aren’t looking too hot.  Did a water change last night for the first time in over two weeks. So let’s hope that all the new additions perk up a little bit this weekend.  

I'm sure you have it somewhere but how often and how large are your water changes usually? 

Currently I do weekly 5g changes on my IM but I'm thinking maybe pushing it to every two weeks.. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Hopefully they settle in. Some varieties are more delicate than others. My Black Suns seem much tougher than my orange ones when it comes to being touched. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I'm sure you have it somewhere but how often and how large are your water changes usually? 

Currently I do weekly 5g changes on my IM but I'm thinking maybe pushing it to every two weeks.. 

5 gallon wc usually.  I’m somewhere between once a week or two weeks. Sorry, no exact schedule here. I’d say they’ve been about half and half depending on how I feel 🙄

12 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Hopefully they settle in. Some varieties are more delicate than others. My Black Suns seem much tougher than my orange ones when it comes to being touched. 

Thanks, they both seem to be in a little rougher shape than I had wanted them to be. If they don’t survive one week, I may ask lfs for a replacement if he has extra left. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I’m bored, and my re-scape effort hasn’t gone anywhere. 

Trying to figure out where to put the 3 new colonies. 

Rescape that frag rack outta my way 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I will come over and rescape for you. Gonna need a few beers first and some other creative juices... And BAM perfect scape. 

I'll need travel expenses reimbursed... 👀

• Haha 2
WindyCityReefer.
3 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I will come over and rescape for you. Gonna need a few beers first and some other creative juices... And BAM perfect scape. 

Stop by Ann Arbor too!

• Haha 2
On 12/6/2019 at 5:03 PM, WV Reefer said:

Rescape that frag rack outta my way 😄

Soon. Promise. 

On 12/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, Matteo said:

Sounds tempting but no expense account for your effort. 

Oh, one of the colonies STN over the wknd. Gonna have to frag it to save it tonight. It was showing some peeling tissue the day after I added it.

Will test alk tonight just to be sure. But all other corals are ok.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Soon. Promise. 

Sounds tempting but no expense account for your effort. 

Oh, one of the colonies STN over the wknd. Gonna have to frag it to save it tonight. It was showing some peeling tissue the day after I added it.

Will test alk tonight just to be sure. But all other corals are ok.  

hopefully works when you frag it.............I had a big one start then fragged it but all frag just kept on going.............ended up with a bunch of little white sticks...........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Welp the one circled in red is a goner. There might be a branch or two that still hadn’t shown sign of any STN/RTN.

The flesh just kept on peeling on the pieces that I fragged on Sunday night.  👎🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️  

6314D9C4-C112-4097-93BA-C503C4178584.thumb.jpeg.6a38e036c48b9eb75ffbb4dd90b67577.jpeg

Others look pretty good, can’t complain. 

Anyone want to recommend sinking pellet fish  foods? I feel like trying something different.  

• Sad 3
WindyCityReefer.

Bummer, sorry to hear! Hoping the remaining pieces bounce back,

I am a big fan of New Life Spectrum pellets (original blend) and have been using it for years. Plus they sink rather well so you do not have to worry about most of the pellets making their way to the surface skimmer.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I hope the sun corals work out for you!!

The black ones opened up a bit. But I was told that you need to “train” them to be opened during day time too. 😒

49 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Have you tried the potassium salts? I might have some samples at the shop. The girl that takes care of my acros swears by it.

R u saying as adding potassium or that Seachem Virbant Sea salt, that has elevated potassium?  Been on RS blue bucket, tbh, I don’t see it being any better the RS coral pro for my purpose. 

43 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Big colonies are hard to move and keep in general. I find that they seem to be more sensitive than aquacultured frags. 

Yeah, I’m thinking that transports got the best of it. 

1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

Big colonies are hard to move and keep in general. I find that they seem to be more sensitive than aquacultured frags. 

I transship 6+" colonies all the time with VERY few losses. I might lose 6 colonies a year.

20 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

R u saying as adding potassium or that Seachem Virbant Sea salt, that has elevated potassium?  Been on RS blue bucket, tbh, I don’t see it being any better the RS coral pro for my purpose. 

Yeah, I’m thinking that transports got the best of it. 

No, the potassium coral dip. I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

I transship 6+" colonies all the time with VERY few losses. I might lose 6 colonies a year.

No, the potassium coral dip. I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

What do you do to keep losses so low? I've had questionable results with large colonies, mainly maricultured ones.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:27 PM, mitten_reef said:

Trying to figure out where to put the 3 new colonies. 

Guess I now only have two colonies to deal with. Doing an extra water change today because of all the melted tissue of the dead colony. Fishing out the dead skeleton too. 

• Sad 2