SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

So you ended up buying one bulky coral instead of bulks of frags...nice loop hole.  That's crazy price for a colony of of that size.  How did you even glue it???

So I’m thinking of breaking it up and fan it out a little bit. Is that a bad idea?  I can probably make 2-3 branches having them point 60-90 degree apart. Right now it’s kinda one long running branch.  

5965535A-1CF2-45AC-A88D-6A359176731C.thumb.jpeg.3c834d22c314e1aa84ca5d55d233f5e0.jpeg

21 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

at least wait till it settles in?  but if you are upgrading to a bigger tank later, i would just keep the colony as-is.  

I second this, leave it alone, let it grow, then frag it after a while in the new tank.

• Like 2
On 12/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, mitten_reef said:

So my wife said if I can refrained from bulk purchasing of corals this week/wknd, Santa 🎅 will bring me a new tank this holiday season. 

welp, after a long, tank-shopping conversation with my wife, we decided on.....

not getting one wah wah wah....

TBH, I'm not that crazy on the tank in that price range, cuz I'm still gonna end up with a 3-foot display.  She also doesn't want to put it upstairs in the living room.  so it'd still have to go to the basement, and it will be really hard to move 100+ lbs of glassbox down into the basement through a narrow stairwell.  

oh well, now I have more money to go back to LFS and get the rest of the acros colonies that he has left, 😂 yay.

Sorry to bug you through DMs for reefer feedback, @HarryPotter @ninjamyst  @metrokat 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

TBH, I'm not that crazy on the tank in that price range, cuz I'm still gonna end up with a 3-foot display.  She also doesn't want to put it upstairs in the living room.  so it'd still have to go to the basement, and it will be really hard to move 100+ lbs of glassbox down into the basement through a narrow stairwell.  

oh well, now I have more money to go back to LFS and get the rest of the acros colonies that he has left, 😂 yay.

Sorry to bug you through DMs for reefer feedback, @HarryPotter @ninjamyst  @metrokat 

MOAR corals!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
WindyCityReefer.

Late to the game, but a new fish tank?! That would be awesome! 

I am all caught up now. Love the new milli - planning on fragging me a piece? 😁

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Well did not want to say it but I was thinking the same on the 3 foot wide...........every time I have upgraded i have always gone wider...........

Have also dragged big tanks down stairs...........not fun............

Now go get those corals..............:wink:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

Late to the game, but a new fish tank?! That would be awesome! 

I am all caught up now. Love the new milli - planning on fragging me a piece? 😁

certainly!  let's plan to meet up at the lansing swap in January.  send me a pm or a text, I think we have phone numbers somewhere in our pm conversation.  

2 hours ago, spectra said:

Well did not want to say it but I was thinking the same on the 3 foot wide...........every time I have upgraded i have always gone wider...........

Have also dragged big tanks down stairs...........not fun............

Now go get those corals..............:wink:

yeah, i'm getting older and wiser like you 😉, and possibly, just possibly, a little lazier?  yeah upgrade is not really an upgrade when it's not a bigger dimension.  the WB Frag tank was the only tempting option ultimately as a future coral propagation and grow-out tank.   

• Like 2

The best bang for the buck in a 3' tank is the Deep Blue 57 rimless. I have 2 of them and they're one of those tanks that grows everything. Look around on Facebook or Craigslist, I got one for $200 and another for $150.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

The best bang for the buck in a 3' tank is the Deep Blue 57 rimless. I have 2 of them and they're one of those tanks that grows everything. Look around on Facebook or Craigslist, I got one for $200 and another for $150.

that's dimension is basically the same RSR 250, DB just has the ugliest center overflow known to mankind 😞.  Actually there's a 75 rimless DB/Seapora, with a basic eshop sump, on a custom poplar wood stand on local FB right now for $1100.  I click on the post every time I go into marketplace hoping the price will drop 🙂   

• Like 2

welp, just picked up 3 more colonies (2 acro, one sun!! - @banasophia omgomgomg!!!) and 3 more frags (2 acros, one yellow branching porites)....

I have a problem. 😅

I also just realized that chasing brand name corals is a little bit ridiculous.  when less than the price of a <1" nub of certain "high-end" acro, I can get 3 colonies!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

welp, just picked up 3 more colonies (2 acro, one sun!! - @banasophia omgomgomg!!!) and 3 more frags (2 acros, one yellow branching porites)....

I have a problem. 😅

I also just realized that chasing brand name corals is a little bit ridiculous.  when less than the price of a <1" nub of certain "high-end" acro, I can get 3 colonies!!!  

Yayyy!! Can’t wait to see some pics! ☀️☀️☀️

Just now, banasophia said:

Yayyy!! Can’t wait to see some pics! ☀️☀️☀️

LFS kept calling it dendro.... but def a tubastrea - actually 2! one orange and one branching black.  super excited!   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

LFS kept calling it dendro.... but def a tubastrea - actually 2! one orange and one branching black.  super excited!   

dendro is like 5x more expensive...so if it's truly a dendro and you got it for the price of regular sun coral, SCORE

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

One of my favorite LFS sells orange dendros also, and they are different from suns. They open more during the day than suns, but are just as pretty. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

they're all closed...so must be sun. 

Someday, when my tank isn't dying like it currently is, I may get a colony of those dendros from my LFS when he has them. He had one colony with about 8 heads for $80. However, my tank is in dire straights at the moment and I can't figure out why yet, so definitely won't be adding anything until I DO manage to get it sailing straight again. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

that's dimension is basically the same RSR 250, DB just has the ugliest center overflow known to mankind 😞.  Actually there's a 75 rimless DB/Seapora, with a basic eshop sump, on a custom poplar wood stand on local FB right now for $1100.  I click on the post every time I go into marketplace hoping the price will drop 🙂   

If you're not averse to an AIO then an RSR250 is OK. I don't have an issue with the overflow, I don't like the damn overflows on my 80g tanks. you could silicone some of that flat rock to it to disguise it. We stacked Ohko dragon stone around the overflow on M's 80g planted tank, the only way you can see it is to really look, the water goes over the top and around the sides.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

Feed the sun coral....................been looking for a nice chunk myself..............

Oh 150.00..................

Hot damn! You’re right on! Felt a bit like I stole from the guy

the sun isn’t looking too hot up close. Let’s see if it likes my tank. 

• Like 3