Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Threw the nanobox on the Kessil arms, just to check them out. Not gonna lie, much sexier than ATI. 

also don’t have any timer outlet with 3-prongs to run the ATI during the week 🤦🏻‍♂️.

2A4F0E44-4093-431D-A39D-124345F7439A.thumb.jpeg.d33c58e1831b7b264358e937950cef5d.jpeg

• Like 7
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Threw the nanobox on the Kessil arms, just to check them out. Not gonna lie, much sexier than ATI. 

also don’t have any timer outlet with 3-prongs to run the ATI during the week 🤦🏻‍♂️.

2A4F0E44-4093-431D-A39D-124345F7439A.thumb.jpeg.d33c58e1831b7b264358e937950cef5d.jpeg

Oh wow! Looks great man :smilie:

• Like 2
22 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Well you need to get that ATI looking sexy :lol: add some LEDSs and anodize it.................

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well you need to get that ATI looking sexy :lol: add some LEDSs and anodize it.................

Sounds good. But not likely, or more like never. 🤣.  Maybe I’ll save that idea for my dream tank. 

• Sad 2
19 hours ago, spectra said:

I may add LED in the future, but custom paint and anodize, ain’t got no disposable income for that stuff. 

But i got some $ for a new equipment. I haven’t been happy with flow in my tank, felt like I tried too hard to be on budget. So I’m gonna give this little gyre a go. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

I may add LED in the future, but custom paint and anodize, ain’t got no disposable income for that stuff. 

But i got some $ for a new equipment. I haven’t been happy with flow in my tank, felt like I tried too hard to be on budget. So I’m gonna give this little gyre a go. 

Was debating one of those but just ended up running 2 40s in the new tank...…...trying to find something that attaches to 3/4 glass is a PITA...…...

On 10/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, --chris-- said:

Looking great!  Is that a (encrusted) frag rack in the lower right corner?  😄 

Yup. It’s working its way up the wall currently.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh wow! Looks great man :smilie:

Thanks!

2 hours ago, spectra said:

Was debating one of those but just ended up running 2 40s in the new tank...…...trying to find something that attaches to 3/4 glass is a PITA...…...

Yeah I think this is good up to half-inch glass. #bigtankproblem, one day I’ll know how that feels.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

found a old APC outlet timer to run the ATI, highly recommend these guys (APC 4-outlet timer) for those who run 'dumb' lights.  Despite the less exciting coloration (less pop) on the corals, I'd say both my tank and I are liking the T5 effect so far.  Acros PE are out more than I've ever seen with LED - maybe it has something to do with the more broad spectrum of light?  

Also ATI has an article (link) on "burning-in" lamp, it was written as part of their dimmable fixture recommendation.  basically, 8-10 hours a day to make up at least 50 hours at full intensity.  easy enough with the on/off nature of my 'dumb' fixture.

• Like 2

looking through some old photos, the last time my tank resembled a nice full reef tank was March 2018 😞  

IMG_2862.thumb.jpg.3ec84404f298188ca322afc0e4c54a38.jpg

Transitioning to acro-heavy tank has been a long and slow journey.  I also lost majority of the sticks from above during the last 18 months through various hiccups and missteps - not the monti, I gave those away to the LFS, rock and all.  When the BTA walked into the powerhead, that was another bad day for the tank.   

I can only hope that the next few months, now that summer is over with, will bring some new positive changes to the hot mess that I have right now.

I should probably do another full tank shot soon for the first post/page.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

looking through some old photos, the last time my tank resembled a nice full reef tank was March 2018 😞  

I feel the same, except it was more like fall 2017. Hope we can both get our reefs back where they once were!

• Like 4
On 10/8/2019 at 5:08 PM, mitten_reef said:

Your sticks are gonna love the gyre generator.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, kimberbee said:

I feel the same, except it was more like fall 2017. Hope we can both get our reefs back where they once were!

Thanks Kimber!  Have fun at RAP. We kinda cancel our trip last minute 😢

9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Your sticks are gonna love the gyre generator.

Yeah that little gyre moves a lot of water. I’m running just that now and it’s only set to 30% max.  

• Sad 2
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks Kimber!  Have fun at RAP. We kinda cancel our trip last minute 😢

That sucks, but same here. I'm having some back issues this week, and though I was hoping I'd feel better by today, I'm not. I can't walk around for more than a few minutes at a time. 

• Sad 3
5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

That sucks, but same here. I'm having some back issues this week, and though I was hoping I'd feel better by today, I'm not. I can't walk around for more than a few minutes at a time. 

I hope you feel better soon, I think I saw that in the lounge. 

On the plus side, it’ll be a nice Fall day here in west Michigan. 😊 some yard works can be done. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I’m running just that now and it’s only set to 30% max.  

When you need to REALLY clean your tank, turn it up full speed and the crud will go right down the weir.

4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Have you tried acupuncture? I swear by it when my back gives me fits. Slamming into the ground when I was young has taken its toll on me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Needles? No thanks!! 🤣

You barely even feel them, they're super fine needles. I'm not a fan of needles either, but that little pinch is worth it to get rid of the unbearable pain.

got tired at looking at the rat's nest of cords (3 of which are to power the Sunpower, ugh).   I felt like I just got rid of all the powerhead cords to add the light cords back in.  

I decided to put Nanobox back up; and now I've achieved an OCD reefer dream!  one single cord per all 5 essentials - return, heat, ATO, light, flow.  That's it! 

putting the doser back online soon, so that will add one more, but still pretty good.  

• Like 7
Tom@HaslettMI
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Took some frags to the store today. Made $50 in credit. End up spending $60 more on top of that 🤦🏻‍♂️

Whatcha get?

A new clownfish, a torch, a Yuma, a giant yellow gorgonian, a few new red/orange hermit crabs.   

Clownfish went in in for a pairing move with my current one right the way, it was a big relief for me. 

Pics soon. 

• Like 6