Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

On 8/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, mitten_reef said:

Tank is looking much better these days. Phew 😅. Back to raising light level this week. 

Thought I should add some photos to go with this...yes, I’m replying to myself. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A tornado just touched down nearby - lost power again 🤦🏻‍♂️. Based on the gut feeling during, it might be a while before it got repaired. 

still need to survey outside for any wind damage to the house. 

• Sad 5
  • Wow 4
Just now, mitten_reef said:

A tornado just touched down nearby - lost power again 🤦🏻‍♂️. Based on the gut feeling during, it might be a while before it got repaired. 

still need to survey outside for any wind damage to the house. 

Hopefully everything is ok.  🤞🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Our main feed got ripped off of the house. I guess I’m buying a generator tomorrow morning. 

Holy cow, that's intense! Fingers crossed that everything ends up being okay. >< Do you have a battery backup or anything going in the meantime?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

What do you have for tonight?

28 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Holy cow, that's intense! Fingers crossed that everything ends up being okay. >< Do you have a battery backup or anything going in the meantime?

Our hot water is gas. So I’m dunking a container of hot water into the display as a mean for heat. And will be scooping and pouring every few hours to aerate. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Our main feed got ripped off of the house. I guess I’m buying a generator tomorrow morning. 

Holy Shit............hopefully nothing else goes south on you...............

We are lucky power is all underground for us.........

But will say a genny is something to have no matter what.......I have a small one just in case.......if need be can go to work and get a big one........

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Our hot water is gas. So I’m dunking a container of hot water into the display as a mean for heat. And will be scooping and pouring every few hours to aerate. 

That sounds like a long night. Aren’t you in Michigan? I know tornadoes do happen as far north as Canada but you never really think about it coming from the south end of Tornado Alley

11 hours ago, spectra said:

Holy Shit............hopefully nothing else goes south on you...............

We are lucky power is all underground for us.........

But will say a genny is something to have no matter what.......I have a small one just in case.......if need be can go to work and get a big one........

a coworker came to the rescue this morning with his 2 kW generator, with 2 outlets.  one line went down to the tank, and another one went to the kitchen.  

11 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That sounds like a long night. Aren’t you in Michigan? I know tornadoes do happen as far north as Canada but you never really think about it coming from the south end of Tornado Alley

yup, it was a long night.  we're in west michigan, have been here for 5 years, the tornado siren had gone off on us about 3 times.  so once every couple of years on average (but that is specifically to our town too).  In general, MI do get tornadoes annually somewhere.  I don't know if or how often we get the full twisters, but definitely wind force/strength.  

As a general tank note, the dunking hot water container worked. I woke up at 1am to refresh the hotwater tupperware.  the water in that container is 72F this morning 7:30am.  

• Like 5
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Aww man sorry to hear about the tornado :sad:. Hope you get power up soon. How is your house? No damage I hope..

house is fine, with the minor exception around the power main feed and the meter at the corner that got ripped away from our house.  The trees are fine.

just waiting to hear when they can reconnect us.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

house is fine, with the minor exception around the power main feed and the meter at the corner that got ripped away from our house.  The trees are fine.

just waiting to hear when they can reconnect us.

Good to hear the house is fine. Hopefully they get you reconnected soon though.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Good news. Power is back!

bad news the internet is still out. #firstworldproblem 😬

That's awesome 👍 how did the tank fair?

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's awesome 👍 how did the tank fair?

All in all, everything seems well. I had a generator from a coworker running for part of the day, guessing about 3-4 hours, it ran out of gas while I was at the office.  So the tank probably went without power for another hour or two in the afternoon.  Corals don’t seem stress, fish seem fine. Thanks for asking 😁

No light though the nanobox wouldn’t come back on, threw an orbit IC over the tank for now.  not sure what magic trick I need to do to get it to run without internet. Sent a message out to @DaveFason for some help/directions.  

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
26 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

All in all, everything seems well. I had a generator from a coworker running for part of the day, guessing about 3-4 hours, it ran out of gas while I was at the office.  So the tank probably went without power for another hour or two in the afternoon.  Corals don’t seem stress, fish seem fine. Thanks for asking 😁

No light though the nanobox wouldn’t come back on, threw an orbit IC over the tank for now.  not sure what magic trick I need to do to get it to run without internet. Sent a message out to @DaveFason for some help/directions.  

So glad it all worked out for you. Some scary shit for sure. I remember those days when I lived in IL. We don't get good storms like that much in CT.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

I hadn’t check this thread for awhile... I’m glad the tank weathered the power outage!

What’s the status on the purple sponge?

Tom

It floated around a while, then got stuck on/under something that caused significant deterioration of tissue, so I decided to toss it.  

On the good news front, the duncan I got from you is sprouting at least a few baby heads right now.    

• Like 2