Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Reflecting on the wknd:

92875DAC-B86B-4327-99B2-23E9E4761816.thumb.jpeg.f62d18aa77e49d86fb5535cdc014985d.jpeg

And doing my best @Cannedfish impersonation with zoas photos. I can never get them quite as crisp as those zoas he’s been posting lately. 
E23FFACF-7814-40A0-861B-07E05F0E52B9.thumb.jpeg.68f11455d6d3e198b76b5ed220f0699f.jpeg

Honestly, I'm shocked with how clean your glass is? What, did you have company over? JK, the photos look great. The only reason I take macro pics of my zoas is, because unlike your big beautiful mounds of polyps, my colonies are less like a "colony" and more like a ship wreck that happens to be on a new continent... haphazard at best, sad in every other sense. Really, hyper zoomed macros is just my half-assed attempt to put lipstick on the pig otherwise known as my tank. But never-mind! Zoas-4-lyfe. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

First feature(?)/repost

Instawha???🤔🤔🤔🤔

Hey so was just creeping on your tank photos.   besides your return pump you only have the one gyre for flow???

• Like 1
mitten_reef
Just now, FISHnChix said:

besides your return pump you only have the one gyre for flow???

yeup, IceCap Gyre 1K and it's only maxed out at 40% on random mode right now.  It has enough flow to bounce water off the other side of the 3-foot tank with all that corals and rocks in the middle.  👍 Now that my phone can take decent pic with the T5s, maybe I can do more video.  

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

yeup, IceCap Gyre 1K and it's only maxed out at 40% on random mode right now.  It has enough flow to bounce water off the other side of the 3-foot tank with all that corals and rocks in the middle.  👍 Now that my phone can take decent pic with the T5s, maybe I can do more video.  

Nice.

Yea I got a gyre knock off.  Makes a lot of flow but seems like with my scape there are areas of lower flow. I do run a mp10 that blows behind my rocks. I think I need one more that I can have blow lower across the front of my tank..

• Like 1

Looks like your DSLR white balance is shifting tint toward green, especially the all-bulb pics.  If you can manually shift tint back toward magenta then I think the gold & yellow on the torch & zoas will hit the mark. 

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
50 minutes ago, SaltyTanks said:

Looks like your DSLR white balance is shifting tint toward green, especially the all-bulb pics.  If you can manually shift tint back toward magenta then I think the gold & yellow on the torch & zoas will hit the mark. 

thanks!  I just thought that my manual settings might have hamper the aperture or something that stop the light coming in (dark-ish image, increasing exposure also ended up with blown out brightness on the corals).  With LED fixture, I crank up the light intensities for photos, but can't do the same for T5 (kinda stuck where it is). 

I've been using color-temp-based WB, might have to dig around to see if i can change settings based on spectrum.  If not, might try a few auto-mode, then pick the best ones, compare and copy the EXIF to enter into manual mode for future consistency.    

• Like 1

I think DSLR's should still let you manually set your white balance even when shooting in an auto exposure mode.  For the brightness variation, maybe when shooting manual your ISO is set auto and you're using a different exposure metering mode than your full auto mode setup uses?  What camera do you use?  Not sure if canon/nikkon have this same feature, but Sony lets me adjust white balance temp and then further adjust temp & tint.  Here's what that looks like in camera for me...warmest color temp (9900k) and then I further shift warmer and tint away from magenta (toward green).  Since my Radion AB+ color setting looks terribly unpleasing to my naked eyes (purple'ish hue / too much magenta) but well balanced for getting both fish and coral colors to pop in pics and I personally like the daytime all whites on look, so I aim for my sand to look neutral white.  Here's how much green tint you have in your scrambled eggs.  All that said, iPhones take really great point & shoot pics these days and I'd be very happy posting your iphone gold torch pic and generally all your tank pics as my own:)

IMG_0726.thumb.jpg.62cfb440b135b2418f1665967edda4ea.jpgIMG_0728.thumb.jpg.134f9c6a7f76ab55233d937e5caa8b0c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Reflecting on the wknd:

92875DAC-B86B-4327-99B2-23E9E4761816.thumb.jpeg.f62d18aa77e49d86fb5535cdc014985d.jpeg

And doing my best @Cannedfish impersonation with zoas photos. I can never get them quite as crisp as those zoas he’s been posting lately. 
E23FFACF-7814-40A0-861B-07E05F0E52B9.thumb.jpeg.68f11455d6d3e198b76b5ed220f0699f.jpeg

Those zoas looks great! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, SaltyTanks said:

I think DSLR's should still let you manually set your white balance even when shooting in an auto exposure mode.  For the brightness variation, maybe when shooting manual your ISO is set auto and you're using a different exposure metering mode than your full auto mode setup uses?  What camera do you use?  Not sure if canon/nikkon have this same feature, but Sony lets me adjust white balance temp and then further adjust temp & tint.  Here's what that looks like in camera for me...warmest color temp (9900k) and then I further shift warmer and tint away from magenta (toward green).  Since my Radion AB+ color setting looks terribly unpleasing to my naked eyes (purple'ish hue / too much magenta) but well balanced for getting both fish and coral colors to pop in pics and I personally like the daytime all whites on look, so I aim for my sand to look neutral white.  Here's how much green tint you have in your scrambled eggs.  All that said, iPhones take really great point & shoot pics these days and I'd be very happy posting your iphone gold torch pic and generally all your tank pics as my own:)

IMG_0726.thumb.jpg.62cfb440b135b2418f1665967edda4ea.jpgIMG_0728.thumb.jpg.134f9c6a7f76ab55233d937e5caa8b0c.jpg

This is basically what I do with my camera. 

I let the camera set the custom white balance by pointing it at the tank. Once it's saved I then go and edit it into a better color like you did in the graph.

• Like 2
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, SaltyTanks said:

Will try to look around in the camera’s settings. The camera is from 2008 it doesn’t quite have all of the modern day bells and whistles of a dslr. 😅 and yes iPhone does a lot better with T5s. 

On another note: more pictures!

E728C171-F4B6-43A6-A9ED-44977794EADE.thumb.jpeg.0e44484f96469b8be8d9e1f35c588cf7.jpeg

68CEC0B2-38BE-4AAD-AB98-720C20929E74.thumb.jpeg.3241e3e11458e29a773e69298572688a.jpeg

233D62E1-382F-4CFA-B9EE-1237FC5EB84D.thumb.jpeg.907ff654dcb49adb0bc0151da774a49d.jpeg

• Like 5
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Will try to look around in the camera’s settings. The camera is from 2008 it doesn’t quite have all of the modern day bells and whistles of a dslr. 😅 and yes iPhone does a lot better with T5s. 

On another note: more pictures!

E728C171-F4B6-43A6-A9ED-44977794EADE.thumb.jpeg.0e44484f96469b8be8d9e1f35c588cf7.jpeg

68CEC0B2-38BE-4AAD-AB98-720C20929E74.thumb.jpeg.3241e3e11458e29a773e69298572688a.jpeg

233D62E1-382F-4CFA-B9EE-1237FC5EB84D.thumb.jpeg.907ff654dcb49adb0bc0151da774a49d.jpeg

Same here I’m reading these comments going whaaaaat?? Your camera can do what?? 😳😳 Mine is from 2009. Maybe I need an upgrade 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Elizabeth94

Gosh I'm so jealous of that pink lemonade! My little stick isn’t fuzzy like that, but color is good and its working on encrusting. Hmmm

• Like 1
debbeach13

I am losing my mind. I am assuming the pumps and filters were off. When that video started. I felt like I was walking through a forest at night. Don’t ask me why but that’s what I thought if. Awesome thanks 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I am losing my mind. I am assuming the pumps and filters were off. When that video started. I felt like I was walking through a forest at night. Don’t ask me why but that’s what I thought if. Awesome thanks 

You’re not. All flows were off during that video. Is it like walking thru the forest because my camera was bouncing up and down? 😂

51 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Gosh I'm so jealous of that pink lemonade! My little stick isn’t fuzzy like that, but color is good and its working on encrusting. Hmmm

just keep at it. I think pokerdobe mentioned that his encrusted forever before shooting up branch.  

mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Did I see an aptasia................. :unsure:

aiptasia-free for a few years now, zero-0 🤗!

Last aiptasia I saw was back around when I started out the Cadlight34 transfer (that’s 2017 ish), and haven’t seen any since. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

aiptasia-free for a few years now, zero-0 🤗!

Last aiptasia I saw was back around when I started out the Cadlight34 transfer (that’s 2017 ish), and haven’t seen any since. 

just giving you shit.................... tank looks great wish I could grow sps................not sure wtf is going on still..............

• Haha 1