Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

So. Who’s been practicing their sidewalk art skillz?  What does a reefing daddy draw for sidewalk chalk session...8CE2F0CB-9219-4FA3-8689-02E3B52B150B.thumb.jpeg.9b96168c60beab7796b6bbd4438ebce0.jpeg

Screenshot_20200617-161356_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

So. Who’s been practicing their sidewalk art skillz?  What does a reefing daddy draw for sidewalk chalk session...8CE2F0CB-9219-4FA3-8689-02E3B52B150B.thumb.jpeg.9b96168c60beab7796b6bbd4438ebce0.jpeg

Dang thats one huge clownfish....................and I think you need more concrete if your going to put Dory in there..................

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
13 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

This is me when someone tells me I need at least a 6ft tank because a tang swims miles everyday in the wild.

399560369_Screenshot_20200617-2153202.thumb.png.64daf76b78b87470217b9849098c1621.png

Just don’t put a tang in your 40 breeder, and you won’t get a visit from the tang police. 😄. I think the idea has a lot more to do with long term animal health and well being. Big fish >> big space >> more room for it to roam >> closer to its natural environment.  

• Like 1
mitten_reef
11 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

Needs at least 6ft, in the wild they swim for miles everyday

12 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Seriously that’s not enough space for a hypo tang. You need a larger side walk.  

12 hours ago, spectra said:

Dang thats one huge clownfish....................and I think you need more concrete if your going to put Dory in there..................

14 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

You gots skillz 

14 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Screenshot_20200617-161356_Gallery.jpg

thanks all!  And I think maybe I need to upgrade to driveway chalking like @FISHnChix  - more room for the tang 😂.....except my driveway is crap, not smooth like that 👆.

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

And I think maybe I need to upgrade to driveway chalking like @FISHnChix  - more room for the tang 😂.....except my driveway is crap, not smooth like that 👆.

Did your neighborhood do the sidewalk chalk thing? When the lockdown went into effect all our neighbors kids did inspirational chalk art on the sidewalk or driveways. Was pretty cool bc gave the kids something to do by drawing and also going on walks checking out everyone's stuff. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
35 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Did your neighborhood do the sidewalk chalk thing? When the lockdown went into effect all our neighbors kids did inspirational chalk art on the sidewalk or driveways. Was pretty cool bc gave the kids something to do by drawing and also going on walks checking out everyone's stuff. 

I don't think we had anything like that.  We had the "bear hunt", where teddy bears or other stuffed animals are placed in the front windows of homes - that was fun for a week or so.

our soon-to-be-3 toddler just loves playing with the chalk, easy for me to keep her entertain for an hour or so with just chalking outside.  She draws in her own separate area and will join me to fill in the color where I need them - she's getting pretty good at coloring inside the lines.   

• Like 5
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I don't think we had anything like that.  We had the "bear hunt", where teddy bears or other stuffed animals are placed in the front windows of homes - that was fun for a week or so.

our soon-to-be-3 toddler just loves playing with the chalk, easy for me to keep her entertain for an hour or so with just chalking outside.  She draws in her own separate area and will join me to fill in the color where I need them - she's getting pretty good at coloring inside the lines.   

Dang got excited for a second thought I read beer hunt.............:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
mitten_reef

Something new

A785A7CE-3141-4DC0-BAB7-5BCFF25C55F7.thumb.jpeg.2113e0fb3ac5f6345885c963f71b7dea.jpeg

just in case you wonder how big this thing is; the vinyl tile patterns are 5.5” x 5.5” with the 1/2” thick grout lines.  

had to grab it off the CL as soon as I saw it. 

• Wow 2
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Something new

A785A7CE-3141-4DC0-BAB7-5BCFF25C55F7.thumb.jpeg.2113e0fb3ac5f6345885c963f71b7dea.jpeg

just in case you wonder how big this thing is; the vinyl tile patterns are 5.5” x 5.5” with the 1/2” thick grout lines.  

had to grab it off the CL as soon as I saw it. 

so what is it ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

so what is it ?

5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Is it living?

No sadly it’s a dead rock, been dry for a while.  But it is a giant branch rock that might become the center piece of the new tank. 

• Like 2

Ah so it was a rock and coral grew on it. Now dead. 

Well hopefully that’s not a bad omen for the new tank 😳

My local dealer is getting in a new batch of rock tomorrow.......will see what I like maybe. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef

a couple of acros has started to look unhappy/weird/different last week, especially with tight tissue around the bases.  Last night I saw some early sign of stn, so I did an alk test.

6.2 & 6.4!  😅 oops 🙊 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2
mitten_reef

For the record:

Updated the dosing schedule last night.  Currently dosing 6 times a day 

12 am - 2 min

4 am - 2 min

8 am - 2 min

12 pm - 1 min 

4 pm - 1 min

8 pm - 1 min

we’ll see how it changes in a few days. No water change planned this wknd. 

mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Hope it works for you. Always something. Having a reef certainly keeps us busy.

1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

Hopefully you caught it in time o fix things back to happy

Thanks, it should be ok.  I think I’ve seen enough of these early signs to do the test quick enough to make changes/adjustments. It also came just 10 days after the last alk check being between 7-7.5 range, which makes it a little surprising at how much it’s dropping. 
Def one of those things where you wish you can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the tank. Nope alk has to change. 🤷🏻‍♂️  
on the other hand, it is nice to be able to  observe the coral growth with some tangible proof. 

• Like 2