ReefCleaners.org

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

ECLS Reefer
13 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Cleaned the glass tonight - color explosion. We’ve got a new full tank shot. 

iphone w/ Lightroom app - 7/24

63084893-7837-4A5D-9B75-1FBFAC28621F.thumb.jpeg.5b40eec5eab7da552c95d13e7b058f8c.jpeg

Wow it’s so full!! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
29 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Here’s Fts from April for comparison. Safe to say the tank took off this past couple of months.

200A62BC-424C-45F8-AE21-DD9FDA617623.thumb.jpeg.aff04deb98e133db4d473764a227a57b.jpeg

Wow yes it’s filled in a lot!

• Like 2
On 7/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, mitten_reef said:

I think the nutrients from extra feeding have been helping with adding colors to many things, inlcuding the algae on the rocks. 🤷🏻‍♂️  
Win some, lose some. 
@pokerdobe, here’s the pc rainbow. 
699EA2FA-E853-4EAD-8D71-653E1EB075DD.thumb.jpeg.1dc665eb7050a3c0d3dc5aa4fcf0b685.jpeg

Looks like that's taking off real good. What's your par?

• Like 4
mitten_reef
48 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Looks like that's taking off real good. What's your par?

Umm, still never measured par.  But it’s about 8” from the 4-bulb T5 fixture. 

39 minutes ago, Matteo said:

noice mate!

thanks. 

so coralline has looked a little off lately, less than a week. Drab color and brown splotches, I thought surely from extra algae due to increased feeding. But since i just didn’t feel settled about it, I decided to test alk 😅, everything is alk’s false.   Welp, we have alk at 9.8 this afternoon, right before another dose scheduled to be added.  This has accumulated/increased over time, so I’m not exactly concerned.  Gonna let it slowly ride down, and cutting the doser by one minute for the time being. Also wc day today. So a lot happening, will probably re test sometimes Tuesday or Wednesday. 

while I’m at it, I decide to see why alk is high despite so much growth. Calcium turned out to be low, 300 ppm!!  Mag is elevated, 1600, but it supposedly doesn’t bother anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think calcium might be limiting alk uptake due to its low concentration.  Anyway, if you don’t test often like me, be sure to test your water at the first sign that things don’t look right. No one knows your tank better than you. 

• Like 5
mitten_reef

sooo, added about 20 mL of Ca last night to try to make up, along with the usual 5-gallon water change.

This morning, i counted at least 5 acros sending out, what I'll call "growth rings", along their respective encrusting edge.  This "growth ring" is where the coral sends out chemical signal to nuke nearby coralline, or even algae, prior to them spreading their encrusting base.  take a look around your tank, I'm sure you'll see an example of what I'm referring to here around actively encrusting corals. 

suffice to say, they may have been starved of calcium....   sometimes it's kinda fun to screw up (as long as it's not terribly detrimental), you can find interesting observations like this ....😅

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
52 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Tanks looking great!  How long has it been running now?

Thank you!   In its latest form (scape and coral placements)?  This tank version has been around since December 2019. 

The tank itself?  it's just an ever-evolving form of tank transfer and rescape literally since I first joined NR, 4 years ago (check first post, and I joined with a 1-year-old tank).  Specifically, the IM30 began in Dec 2017.

That's why I'm part excited, part anxious with my waterbox setup, as it'll be my first one from scratch in 5 years.  

• Like 1
mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Awesome!  Are you transferring everything over eventually?

The goal is to cut only the corals from this tank to move to the new tank display.  Only ric garden and parts of zoa garden will be transferred directly.  Old rocks might get thrown in the sump for a while to support the "maturing process".    

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

That’s a good idea.  Pretty much have double of everything in a separate system in case something happens to one.  That’s what I am going to do with my stuff with this frag tank.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
Just now, Thrassian Atoll said:

That’s a good idea.  Pretty much have double of everything in a separate system in case something happens to one.  That’s what I am going to do with my stuff with this frag tank.

unfortunately, there won't be redundancy, this tank will be shutdown once all corals found their places in the WB.  There is only one tank allowed per house rule 😅 (and you know the kind that's not open for discussion either 🤣). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Thrassian Atoll
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

unfortunately, there won't be redundancy, this tank will be shutdown once all corals found their places in the WB.  There is only one tank allowed per house rule 😅 (and you know the kind that's not open for discussion either 🤣). 

Gotcha!  Haha.   Sounded like you were keeping both tanks up and running.  I am surprised my wife was fine with the frag tank, but it’s in the utility room.  Out of site out of mind.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, jservedio said:

I don't think it'd be fair for you to call this "frag city" anymore!

Nope, we’re not in frag city any more. 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, Pjanssen said:

That looks amazing.

it was a great vacation spot, so great we’re booking another long wknd in September 😆

1 hour ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Gorgeous tank!

Hello there, welcome (I think?)

12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

7/24

584F4739-5613-4EE7-9027-5E52AF15BC09.thumb.jpeg.8b4a30a2d63954207cbe0a778d1cda67.jpeg

8/14

257C0A12-C5CA-44A6-A3D9-BB78379FB3D7.thumb.jpeg.cc917fc58eab986d9e6a4b7184ba13a5.jpeg

Which angle?

I like how beefy everything looks in the first angle and how the floor pieces showcase better in the 2nd. I wonder if you could scoot in close with a super wide angle lens & snap one that might display both features?

• Like 1