Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

One more reason to stick to the game plan when going to LFS. Impulse buys usually don’t turn out so well. ??‍♂️  Thanks for sharing the wrassehole story, I’ll definitely keep an eye out then. 

every thing I read online says they are good model citizens so maybe mine is just the devil wrasse.  i will probably impulse buy another one if i see one at the LFS =P.  Mine also grew VERY fast.  He became the biggest fish in my tank in less than 2 years.  He eats EVERYTHING.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2018 at 11:32 AM, MortalWombat said:

Very cool! Following.

Thanks! 

On 1/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, ninjamyst said:

every thing I read online says they are good model citizens so maybe mine is just the devil wrasse.  i will probably impulse buy another one if i see one at the LFS =P.  Mine also grew VERY fast.  He became the biggest fish in my tank in less than 2 years.  He eats EVERYTHING.

It’s hard not to impulse buy these guys, their yellow has to be one of the brightest you can find for the nano tank. 

In other news, came home to this today. BTA decided to move and was sitting on top of the sunny D. And it’s rubbing against the sunset monti (behind it), which had not been doing that well to begin with ?. I’m able to move the sunny D, but I can only hope that changing powerhead position slightly will coax it to move to the back side again.  

38858139074_672f6366a8_b.jpg

• Like 2

So I was perusing through @Andreww's thread the other day, and saw him mentioning that BRSTV Investigates had their Hydra26HD tuned with much higher % of violet and UV than the blue's.  

I bumped the violet channel on my NBR Quad 5% above blue's just to see what effect that might have.  And the colors on this guy got even more vivid (visually speaking, there was really no time for the coral to adapt to the new settings quite yet). I like it :D.

I also wonder what increased violet may do to the Leng Sy cap, only time will tell.  Using all the same settings as before, with only violet channel increased 5% above blue's for all periods. 

39499860132_f90ba4de38_b.jpg

• Like 8

Not to come in like a wrecking ball but increasing the violet channel 5% should not have much effect. Maybe a increase in 4-5 PAR. Now increasing ~ 15%+ would have a change. 

I think the new tank is  starting to settle and corals are extremely healthy/happy.

Regardless, looks great!

-Dave

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Not to come in like a wrecking ball but increasing the violet channel 5% should not have much effect. Maybe a increase in 4-5 PAR. Now increasing ~ 15%+ would have a change. 

I think the new tank is  starting to settle and corals are extremely healthy/happy.

Regardless, looks great!

-Dave

Thanks for the thought Dave.  My midday peak is already at 90% across all blue/violet channels. so right now I just have the violet up'ed to 95%, where the rest stays at 90%.  I think it may not be fully-related to PAR alone, but more about the spectrum being delivered that I was more interested in, if that makes sense?  Do you think the approach would make the different in that case?  

Honestly no. Tiny adjusts won't make a big difference like that. Upping it to 100% you would possibly see some. 

With many large colonies like that you will see the coral get more adjusted to tank life along with just being healthy. I think a few things could be contributing to the health. New environment, different flow rates, more shallow tank ( think over your last? ), etc. 

-D

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Clean the glass tonight, decided to do some iPhone close-up’s.

This gorg had not gotten any spotlight in a while

25934830838_33f51a23d5_b.jpg

Rainbow BTA

39097475564_1b8a8c1beb_b.jpg

This acan looks pretty awesome right now  

39097475634_0d87534bb6_b.jpg

Ric garden - building up my varieties 

39097475174_85846d772d_b.jpg

Leng si cap update

38908435325_bb792ed5dd_b.jpg

Battle of Monti’s: the tricolor already went up-and-over one of the digi branch (mound in the background) and in the process of taking over another one. 

39097624494_a55023266d_b.jpg

• Like 2

Alk is at 6.5 today, can’t seem to keep it steady enough. It dropped to 5.9 yesterday, dosed 10 ml of Reef Fusion2.   Ca is 415, kinda low on that front too.  

Ugh, dosing once a day is really a drag on stability.

I wonder if I have the NBR tied to the weather forecast would have any effects on the day-to-day metabolism of the corals as well, some days the lights are a LOT dimmer than others based on “weather”. 

The plate is looking awesome today (a lot of gold sheen) but the good camera didn’t have battery left in it ?, so here’s more iPhone photo of my favorite coral. 

39834189012_704fb063a5_b.jpg

• Like 2

Just my own personal experience. I've been dosing equal amounts of ESV B-ionic two part first thing in the morning and just before bed and I've finally been able to keep my Alk and Ca stable at 8.4 and 450 respectively. Now to stop being so lazy and get the DP-4 I bought several weeks ago set up to do this for me!

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

dose once in the morning and once at night?  6.5 isn't too bad.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. I think alk went up past 9 a week or two ago, then dropped down to 5.9 last night.

The week-to-week swing is just a bit bonker. I really need to go back and do daily tests to figure out if I need to adjust daily amount too, I think.  

18 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Just my own personal experience. I've been dosing equal amounts of ESV B-ionic two part first thing in the morning and just before bed and I've finally been able to keep my Alk and Ca stable at 8.4 and 450 respectively. Now to stop being so lazy and get the DP-4 I bought several weeks ago set up to do this for me!

Ok, I’ll try the morning/night routine. Thanks! Now go get that doser set up! ?

• Like 1

Let there be a blanket of LED!

My poor man concept of @mpsti05‘s NBR hybrid mimic. 4-puck NBR quad down the center, flanking with two current USA orbit marine IC 36in strips!

I know it’s not T5, but I hope that this will encourage more even growth from the SPS like @HarryPotter’s tank. Many of my fast-growing branches have been leaning toward the light. 

Many thanks to @Travis for an awesome deal on those orbit ICs. 

26055128468_0d007ee415_b.jpg

The next question is: can/should I go without the lid?

• Like 5

Ha! Just make sure.... more light requires more attention to heavier feeding, dosing, etc. If you see fading I would say it is not the added light but the corals using more resources. More fish and feedings. 

-Dave

• Thanks 1
On 1/27/2018 at 10:22 AM, micoastreefing said:

Let there be a blanket of LED!

My poor man concept of @mpsti05‘s NBR hybrid mimic. 4-puck NBR quad down the center, flanking with two current USA orbit marine IC 36in strips!

I know it’s not T5, but I hope that this will encourage more even growth from the SPS like @HarryPotter’s tank. Many of my fast-growing branches have been leaning toward the light. 

Many thanks to @Travis for an awesome deal on those orbit ICs. 

26055128468_0d007ee415_b.jpg

The next question is: can/should I go without the lid?

Re Lid: I am not familiar with your stocking, but I would always have some sort of lid. Ive had so many jumpers since going rimless, it sucks. 

Sweet LED setup! I would love to get some NanoBox pucks onto my T5 fixture, like Markalot's fixture. All the best colors I've seen involve blue LEDs.

For a tank my size, the equivalent of those Orbit strips would be two of the SBREEF Dimmable 48" 108w Actinic bars. $240 each though! 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Ha! Just make sure.... more light requires more attention to heavier feeding, dosing, etc. If you see fading I would say it is not the added light but the corals using more resources. More fish and feedings. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave! I’ll keep an eye on the available nutrients. I did have a minor fear that it might be too much light too sudden. So I kept the strips on under 50% power right now. 

11 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Re Lid: I am not familiar with your stocking, but I would always have some sort of lid. Ive had so many jumpers since going rimless, it sucks. 

Sweet LED setup! I would love to get some NanoBox pucks onto my T5 fixture, like Markalot's fixture. All the best colors I've seen involve blue LEDs.

For a tank my size, the equivalent of those Orbit strips would be two of the SBREEF Dimmable 48" 108w Actinic bars. $240 each though! 

Thanks for stopping by!  I needed a new mounting solution for my recent 36” expansion, and the orbit strips serve double purpose of added light and a place to rest the quad. I do have a known jumper in the yellow coris wrasse. But it’s pretty much an a-hole to all my snails, pecking and trying flip them any chance it gets. I thought the behavior would stop after it got settled in, but nope. So I’m slightly impartial if it were to jump, I know, it’s an evil thought. Have you thought of doing NBR retro kit yourself?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks for stopping by!  I needed a new mounting solution for my recent 36” expansion, and the orbit strips serve double purpose of added light and a place to rest the quad. I do have a known jumper in the yellow coris wrasse. But it’s pretty much an a-hole to all my snails, pecking and trying flip them any chance it gets. I thought the behavior would stop after it got settled in, but nope. So I’m slightly impartial if it were to jump, I know, it’s an evil thought. Have you thought of doing NBR retro kit yourself?

Haha I get that.......I threw out a hermit crab that was picking on my LPS a while back :o Nanobox retro is too expensive for me as a student. Cant justify the cost when I get pretty good results just with T5.

14 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Haha I get that.......I threw out a hermit crab that was picking on my LPS a while back :o Nanobox retro is too expensive for me as a student. Cant justify the cost when I get pretty good results just with T5.

Start selling some of those colonies you call frags. ??

• Haha 1

That gorg is beautiful! 

Hey, did you go to the swap? I did... it totally blew my mind. So many corals I didn't know what to do with myself. Got a few good ones :-) 

2 minutes ago, samnaz said:

That gorg is beautiful! 

Hey, did you go to the swap? I did... it totally blew my mind. So many corals I didn't know what to do with myself. Got a few good ones :-) 

Hey! Glad to hear you had a great time at the swap. I was ready to go in the morning, but had a last-minute change of heart to enjoy the unusually beautiful January afternoon outdoor instead. Plus I have no room in the tank for new corals ?.

Took the puppy and baby out for a stroll around the neighborhood. 

39087294045_407235a3aa_b.jpg

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

your daughter is sooo cute!

Thanks!  I gave the cuteness credit to her mom :lol:.  

It was around 40F this past weekend (this is warm for MI in January), we couldn't resist being outside after some of those cold spells this winter. The puppy especially enjoyed his walk. 

50 minutes ago, samnaz said:

That gorg is beautiful! 

The gorg has been hard to keep thriving, found out that it's NPS a long while ago and been trying to target feed it every time I feed the corals.

My coral food cocktail is goniopower and reefroid mixture.

Dare I call this guy an Oregon Tort?  At the least it gotta be Cali Tort, right?  From this view you can't see any green, but there is some green on the underside. Any acro enthusiasts/experts, please help identify.

28255366209_d4e848e5e0_b.jpg

This acro has always had potentials, but I didn't know how good it could be.  pink polyps with yellow green center, creamy white growth, teal corallites, and I suspect this has not yet peaked. This is the same drab acro that was featured in my short swaying-polyps video a while ago.

28255368189_902641956d_b.jpg

My mini ric garden in full-bloom

28255367849_96fca84e12_b.jpg

Here's a close-up of the metallic highlights that I couldn't capture with iPhone last week.  

28255364359_d835ecfaf5_b.jpg

So far, I must say, I love the simplicity of this new tank. NO added filtration equipment (no skimmer, no reactor of any kind) other than powerheads and return pump.  Although I do run a small bag of mixed media in the inTank basket. 

I had the current orbit ICs on for not quite a week without any real program, but noticed that the acans were not liking the added light very much.  I have not figured out the programming, so I have turned them off for the last couple of days. 

• Like 7