ReefCleaners.org

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

I was mentioned!  Might be a first. :)

I would go 65 if you can, basically a tall 40 breeder.   My new light from @DaveFason, when it arrives, will be perfect for both a 40 breeder and a deeper 65 if I decide to go that route.  

27 minutes ago, markalot said:

I was mentioned!  Might be a first. :)

I would go 65 if you can, basically a tall 40 breeder.   My new light from @DaveFason, when it arrives, will be perfect for both a 40 breeder and a deeper 65 if I decide to go that route.  

Woohoo! Thanks for stopping by and chiming in on the tank size recommendation. 65 sounds tempting for the overall volume for fish options.  I've always like the "shallow" look for the reef though. I'm afraid it'd take a long time for coral growth to fill the height of 65.  

Are you getting another hybrid? 2-row Quad? Or is it a super secret project? Can't wait to see how it looks over your 40. 

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Woohoo! Thanks for stopping by and chiming in on the tank size recommendation. 65 sounds tempting for the overall volume for fish options.  I've always like the "shallow" look for the reef though. I'm afraid it'd take a long time for coral growth to fill the height of 65.  

Are you getting another hybrid? 2-row Quad? Or is it a super secret project? Can't wait to see how it looks over your 40. 

Hybrid ATI T5 with options to run 2 or 4 bulbs and two rows of 3 led's each.  Basically half of what's over my 150 gallon.  There will be a day when I don't have the time or energy to keep the 150 going so I wanted the perfect final light which should be able to grow anything. :)    Anything.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, samnaz said:

Those Sunny D's are gorg. I'm not really a fan of zoas but dang, those colors... I think I need some of those.

Thanks!  That's pretty much why they are one of the only two zoas, in my tank (altho I think they're paly if we get technical :D).  If you can't find one reasonably priced locally in AA, and happen to feel like venturing westward toward GR for any reasons, I'm happy to frag some whenever. Open offer as long as I still have the colony, just PM me.  

• 4 weeks later...

Tried my hands at shipping corals for the first time, sent the big plating monti to a follower. hope to see a pic of it in his tank soon fingerscrossed.

Cleaned the glass today, iPhone 6S+ pic, try to counter the blue by jacking up the white channel on the Quad. Pics are shot at 80% white to Blue, not bad, no other color correction.

9/25/2017 FTS

37320605521_9a96afebaa_b.jpg

Just a bit of SunnyD's - started out around 4-5 polyps, remembering offering the guy $25.  Possibly my most satisfying coral purchase ever. 

36651023993_d53142a725_b.jpg

All the frags on the new island are encrusting really well. My red with yellow tip did pull through, but I had to remove it from the scape because there were some 'eggs' on the base. I dipped and scraped those off, and now the frag is resting back on the rack for further evaluation/inspection. My YWG, mango, peeking out at the base.

36651022153_c136a2a340_b.jpg 

This is slowly becoming my favorite area of the tank to look at. The two recent acan frags are coloring up nicely, they're rainbow-ish, but nowhere near some of the ones I've seen people posting on NR. 

36651020233_2c6fd5b2fa_b.jpg

• Like 1

Clean up the frag rack, downsized to 4 frags on a mini rack. Mounted a couple more acro to the right island. Brought the red dragon up on a more substantial piece of rock to stop it from tumbling around the sand bed. 

I’d consider this tank filled up at this point, now just have to wait for everything to grow in. But buying corals is the fun part of the hobby. ? what to do now?

36815023783_0433502e19_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Looking good!  The growth pattern on the red cap is awesome.

Thanks for the comment!    That big red Monti is a definitely the centerpiece of this tank right now (even tho it's far from being center, :D). 

It is actually a Monti Palawanensis.  If you look closely the growth form on the plate surface, it is very dissimilar to that on the blue-rimmed green Cap (right next to it) and the starburst Cap (red with yellow polyps under the blue tort).  

In the words of an 1980's investment banker, "this tank is A1 Steak Sauce," which I'm pretty sure mean it's awesome. Also, I can't get over how good your red dragon looks (I'm patiently waiting for mine to do anything other than nothing). I will definitely drink an Oberon to this glass box (it's still summer in Louisiana). 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Looking AWESOME. Shared. :)

-Dave

Thanks, Dave!  

11 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

In the words of an 1980's investment banker, "this tank is A1 Steak Sauce," which I'm pretty sure mean it's awesome. Also, I can't get over how good your red dragon looks (I'm patiently waiting for mine to do anything other than nothing). I will definitely drink an Oberon to this glass box (it's still summer in Louisiana). 

Thank you! The red dragon was finicky in the beginning, I lost 2 of the 3 frags that came on the same rock and this happened to be the smallest one. But suddenly it just took off, I believe it began doing well after I started dosing. It did look like it was just barely hanging on for quite a long while. So as long as it doesn’t lose any tissue, I’d say yours is doing ok.  Love the Oberon reference to a guy in west Michigan, well done.  

Here's what happened since the beginning of October:

• Switched the two-part from seachem/aquavitro's calcium + eight.four + ions (guess that makes it 3-part, :D) to seachem's reef fusion 1 & 2.  
  • The aquavitro was working great, but the costs are just getting ridiculous at the LFS, when compared to other dosing systems. 
  • Did not test how the tank reacted to the new supplements.
  • Right now, my 'canary coral' - the goniopora - had not shown any polyp extension in quite a while, and it seems to have tissue receding/shrinking away around the base. :blink:  

I think it's time to re-check all the parameters and re-check the dosing amounts.  Probably about time anyway the SPS are growing like crazy, they must be uptaking a lot more Ca & Carbonate.

The time needed to take care of a baby and keeping a 15-month old golden retriever happy is consuming all my free time = less free time to monitor and check in on the tank. 

I knew I had to re-check the doses at some point, but now it's becoming a must-do this week, latest this wknd. -_-

Checked the alk last night, not too low as expected - it came in high!  dKH 9.0-9.5, eh, the result of blindly dosing, after changing supplement brand.  :wacko:

Gonna let the tank ride it down (aka use up the carbonate), the SPS doesn't seem to be bothered - all the acro frags are actually growing and encrusting on my acro island.

Getting a new leopard wrasse this Saturday, she will be in QT @ the LFS for about 2.5 wks then.  The QT time isn't ideal, but this fish is the sole survivor from a shipping lot of 4 leopard wrasses. The LFS had 3 brief outages the last couple weeks and lost one wrasse each time.  SO they will have multiple-hours power outage scheduled by the utility company (to fix issue?) on Sunday.  So I better get my fish before that happens.  

• Like 1

Congrats!! I wish I had a witty comment about leopard wrasses, but all I can think of is something regarding stripper tattoos... so nevermind. I am jealous, however, that I don't have space for one, they are beautiful fish! 

Also, have you ever been to the Root Beer Stand in Kalamazoo?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Congrats!! I wish I had a witty comment about leopard wrasses, but all I can think of is something regarding stripper tattoos... so nevermind. I am jealous, however, that I don't have space for one, they are beautiful fish! 

Also, have you ever been to the Root Beer Stand in Kalamazoo?

nope, I've only been to K-zoo a few times. Been to Bell's brew pub, that's about it.  It's quite a drive for me, I'm in Lowell, which is 25-30 min east of GR. 

6 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Beautiful tank. Leopard wrasse are one of my favorites. Keep the pics coming!

Thank you for stopping by, appreciate the comments!  

I'm very hopeful on this leopard wrasse.  She's been eating both the frozen mysis that I feed the tank, and grazing the sand and rock on her own.  But now that I think of it, I think I might have to buy a bottle of pods just in case. I lost a leopard wrasse a while back (page 2), even after having her in the tank for 6 weeks. 

9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thank you for stopping by, appreciate the comments!  

I'm very hopeful on this leopard wrasse.  She's been eating both the frozen mysis that I feed the tank, and grazing the sand and rock on her own.  But now that I think of it, I think I might have to buy a bottle of pods just in case. I lost a leopard wrasse a while back (page 2), even after having her in the tank for 6 weeks. 

Google "Paul B mandarin feeder". I have one in my tank and it works great for my Mandarin. 

• Like 1

My leopard suddenly passed away.  Eating great and nice and fat.  I am 0 for 2 now with leopards.  Had this one for months too.  Sigh.  Good luck with yours.  The only common thing I can think of is that they both died a day or two after a water change where I am in the tank siphoning the sand bed and rearranging stuff.  So I think I stressed them out too much.  

• Like 1