inTank Media Baskets

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

could be....not necessarily shading (they're both just single sticks with minimal side branch), but just not enough light?  I got plenty more room to go with light intensity, just don't wanna blast some of the less light-loving pieces on the rack.

I need to move the frags off that stupidly-large frag rack.  I actually need 2 new, smaller racks so one can be high light and one medium.  

oh, if any of you on IG and haven't followed this guy https://www.instagram.com/martentagaeus/  go check out his underwater photography.  It'll put you in perspective of what a coral colony should look like 😂

I actually realized my PO4 had risen to about .23 - which could also explain the greening since there seems to be a correlation with green and elevated PO4. Refer to picture below. I've also seem to have lost the blue polyps on the phoenix monti. 

1758355757_OregonTort-7_17.thumb.jpg.16ef9b11d55a5ec392b1f7a5f44de7ec.jpg

• Like 1
22 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Just got a half inch nub of this guy from a local fb group :happydance:

48324197711_635789050e_b.jpg

best of all - FREE!!!  Yes, that’s a SC orange passion 🤤

Great score - probably my favorite piece. 

• Like 1

That's a great piece and an even better price! 

Elevated phosphates can increase greens, although in my tanks it was from not enough light. But if your light hasn't changed I'd bet on the phosphates. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
On 7/20/2019 at 1:05 PM, pokerdobe said:

Great score - probably my favorite piece. 

On 7/20/2019 at 6:32 PM, teenyreef said:

That's a great piece and an even better price! 

Elevated phosphates can increase greens, although in my tanks it was from not enough light. But if your light hasn't changed I'd bet on the phosphates. 

Thanks guys, now I’m hoping that my piece is more colorful than that one in the pic. The owner runs a MH, so might be a small transition. 

4 hours ago, fissues said:

I love those rics. Lookin good so far!

Thanks for stopping by. I love those guys, glad you like them.  

48342268081_141f57fc11_b.jpg

@Christopher Marks, rocking my Nano reef t-shirt to a local frag swap today. 

• Like 7
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

It was nice meeting you at the swap today!  The frags from you are settling in and looking great!  

Tom

Hey Tom, it was great meeting you as well.  Glad you like them.  The blue sponge proceeded to get sucked flat - i mean FLAT like a sheet of paper - against one of the powerheads intake side.  maybe it'll puff back up in a day or two?  The duncan was puffy and happy by the evening.  

quick shout out to @WindyCityReefer., nice seeing you at the swap yesterday as well - did you get anything?   I got cherry coral's needle in a haystack yesterday - they had a table with some nice high-end stuffs, I just still can't commit to that kind of price per frag, knowing how terrible I am with stability.  

• Like 3
Tom@HaslettMI
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Hey Tom, it was great meeting you as well.  Glad you like them.  The blue sponge proceeded to get sucked flat - i mean FLAT like a sheet of paper - against one of the powerheads intake side.  maybe it'll puff back up in a day or two?  The duncan was puffy and happy by the evening.  

quick shout out to @WindyCityReefer., nice seeing you at the swap yesterday as well - did you get anything?   I got cherry coral's needle in a haystack yesterday - they had a table with some nice high-end stuffs, I just still can't commit to that kind of price per frag, knowing how terrible I am with stability.  

The sponge should recover. If not, I have plenty more... just let me know!

• Like 3
WindyCityReefer.
14 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks for the shout out! It was nice seeing you as well 👍 I actually picked up a frag of Route 66 Merlin's Staff from Ryan Cunningham. He had the TV on his table with all the photos of his corals. 

I was over at Cherry Corals' table for a bit, but I agree - their prices tend to be on the higher side. I had a piece of their needle in a haystack a while back. It is a sweet acro!  

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Just want to sadly remind myself that, I will NEVER have enough disposable income to ever get one of these guys, EVER.  (based on the inflation rate that they're getting, that is) 

Just when I thought man, I could swing $100-150 per head, it's now more like $1,000 for 3ish ...🤬  

Aussie Gold.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

get it anyways.  you will make your money back in no time!

Funny, until it happens :P. 

@mitten_reef hit me up in a few months. I probably have about 10 or so heads right now. Just waiting for it to split a little more so I have some clearance when I cut. 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2
10 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

@mitten_reef hit me up in a few months. I probably have about 10 or so heads right now. Just waiting for it to split a little more so I have some clearance when I cut. 

Can I get in on this and some acros =P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Oooh. I sure will. 

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Can I get in on this and some acros =P

Getting the acros itch again, I see. 

1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

More the merrier. Got a friend coming into town and he's bringing his saw to hack away at all my corals on the 10th lol. 

Hand saw? Or those gryphon band saws?  You need to post some action shots on your thread. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Oooh. I sure will. 

Getting the acros itch again, I see. 

Hand saw? Or those gryphon band saws?  You need to post some action shots on your thread. 

Gryphon band saws. I'll take some pics when I let the pro do it. 

• Like 4
mitten_reef

glass scraped, water changed, pics tomorrow 🙂 everything is a little pissed off right now.  

Things are finally looking better after the mid-late June disaster.  This round might have taken the longest to dig my way back out.  The corals bounced back within a week or two, but then the tank became a hot mess of stringy slime.  Started off clear-ish, and then turned reddish brown.  Then some started growing within, and over top of the filter floss, blocking flow within a day!   I even thought I saw the telltale bubbles of the D word for a bit.  Started doing small water changes (twice a week) along with almost daily scraping.  I turned off the white leds completely and run only the colors, I even turned down the mints to half.  The red slime slowly faded away after a couple of weeks of no white.  There are still a few small patches here and there even today.   

• Like 4
mitten_reef

Pics dump :happydance:

Red Planet - I suck at taking pics of the acros, they all came out unlike what they look like in real life.  I might really need to get one of those stupid filter. 

48442721431_340b69c819_b.jpg

Mini zoa island

48442873767_022cb7c561_b.jpg

some acan's

48442721696_f6e3cb204b_b.jpg

48442873592_286a229c6d_b.jpg

48442721761_1b522395c2_b.jpg

Lastly, this is easily most colorful little patch of real estate in the tank!

48442874027_29291432d6_b.jpg

48442873912_489e6afd9a_b.jpg

• Like 6
13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Pics dump :happydance:

Red Planet - I suck at taking pics of the acros, they all came out unlike what they look like in real life.  I might really need to get one of those stupid filter. 

48442721431_340b69c819_b.jpg

Mini zoa island

48442873767_022cb7c561_b.jpg

some acan's

48442721696_f6e3cb204b_b.jpg

48442873592_286a229c6d_b.jpg

48442721761_1b522395c2_b.jpg

Lastly, this is easily most colorful little patch of real estate in the tank!

48442874027_29291432d6_b.jpg

48442873912_489e6afd9a_b.jpg

Everything looks great. 😊

• Thanks 1