Coral Vue Hydros

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

8 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks. Really appreciate your thoughts. Your frags have not shown any signs of stress yet. I’m hoping they’re ok. 

Unless things look bad/worse tomorrow morning, I probably won’t do another water change until after work tomorrow.  

Fingers crossed. Hopefully the trials and tribulations those acros have faced in my tank will help them pull through. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

How's the tank looking today? I was thinking, would it be more beneficial to just let the corals use up the excess alk?? I'm curious to see what ends up happening, fingers are still crossed for ya though 🙂

HarryPotter

Parameters suck. Especially because the better the tank looks, the less one checks. It’s kind of a self fulfilling prophecy to have small crashes, unless you have fantastic self control. 

With my spike up to 11/12 (from 7.5), all my montipora went white, but recovered a few months later. Oddly, acropora weren’t as bothered. 

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

How's the tank looking today? I was thinking, would it be more beneficial to just let the corals use up the excess alk?? I'm curious to see what ends up happening, fingers are still crossed for ya though 🙂

Visually, things look ok so far. Won’t get to do the tests til later after dinner and the baby went to bed. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Parameters suck. Especially because the better the tank looks, the less one checks. It’s kind of a self fulfilling prophecy to have small crashes, unless you have fantastic self control. 

With my spike up to 11/12 (from 7.5), all my montipora went white, but recovered a few months later. Oddly, acropora weren’t as bothered. 

Hoping for similar outcome to yours. 😅. No wonder everyone was so damn eager to get their hands on the trident. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef

Tank looks a little better than it did yesterday at this time. Alk didn’t drop from 10 all day 🤨🧐- never mind, not even gonna care why right now 🤪.  

Fed a big pinch of reef roid, waited for about 15-20 min, then did another 5 gallon water change to drop the dKH a bit further.  If my math is right, the tank should be in 9.0-9.2 range. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Tank looks a little better than it did yesterday at this time. Alk didn’t drop from 10 all day 🤨🧐- never mind, not even gonna care why right now 🤪.  

Fed a big pinch of reef roid, waited for about 15-20 min, then did another 5 gallon water change to drop the dKH a bit further.  If my math is right, the tank should be in 9.0-9.2 range. 

That makes sense. The stress from the swings would temporarily put a halt to growth. 

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Nice and slow/steady. I had super high alk in my tank while i was fighting dinos' and so long as i slowly let it come back down, i was ok. I just kind of let the tank soak it up naturally. but like @pokerdobe just said, it's under stress from a swing- its going to halt for a moment to recover. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
21 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

That makes sense. The stress from the swings would temporarily put a halt to growth. 

That’s my thought as well. 

15 hours ago, thecoralbeauty said:

Nice and slow/steady. I had super high alk in my tank while i was fighting dinos' and so long as i slowly let it come back down, i was ok. I just kind of let the tank soak it up naturally. but like @pokerdobe just said, it's under stress from a swing- its going to halt for a moment to recover. 

Thanks! That’ll be the plan for now. 

ALL acros are showing polyps and looking happy today. :happydance: 

The red planet has less damage than initially feared,omgomgomg.  But the big colony lost more tissues than I first assessed :unsure:.  Both were in direct path of strong flow, so when the tissues got “tender” from the high alk, these two were probably blasted off. All other acros do not show major signs of damage at the moment.  

Here’s hoping to minimal to no fallout effect a week or two down the road. 

• Like 6
mitten_reef

Tank was around 7.6-7.8 dKH last night - this is without any dosing since the spike, and 9ish (calculated) from wednesday night. 

Another long weekend away coming up 4th thru 8th, a bit nervous about not dosing at all during that time. 

If I can raise it to 9ish before the trip, then that might work.  I can do the RSCP for a couple of water changes the next few days.  The alternative is to set up dosing pump to dose a 50/50 diluted alk solution, or even 25/75 dilution.  

Thoughts?  

mitten_reef
13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

where you going for the 4th?  do you get a tank sitter while you are gone?

Boyne city, MI. We rented a condo at Boyne Mountain.   

No, never thought i'd need a tank sitter yet.  the doser (BRS 1.1 ml/min dosing pump) was supposed to help maintaining alk on the extended trips.  right now I'm just not sure if I care to how much/often to run it while we're gone.  the tank hasn't really shown much growth in alk depletion rate so far.  

50 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Boyne city, MI. We rented a condo at Boyne Mountain.   

No, never thought i'd need a tank sitter yet.  the doser (BRS 1.1 ml/min dosing pump) was supposed to help maintaining alk on the extended trips.  right now I'm just not sure if I care to how much/often to run it while we're gone.  the tank hasn't really shown much growth in alk depletion rate so far.  

nice, we went snowboarding at Boyne Mountain back in March.  What's there to do at Boyne during the summer?  Fishing??

mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

nice, we went snowboarding at Boyne Mountain back in March.  What's there to do at Boyne during the summer?  Fishing??

Lake Charlevoix and Walloon Lake (nearby) are both fun for pontooning or boating around.  We rented one last summer for half a day on Walloon Lake. We’re mainly there for the lake and to meet up with family (my wife grew up in Boyne).  Us and her two siblings’ families all go in on a large 3BR unit. Boyne mountain has a small lake on their property with beach bar and yard games.  You can do downhill mountain bike, zip line, and golf at Boyne too. I’m more of the beach bar type tho, 😄

We’ll probably spend more time off-site in various places around and the nearby towns, the condo is just used as a home base 😁

This winter would have had great snow condition in a while. I was bummed that I didn’t take my gear up there the first week of Feb when we visited friends for my bday. But I think it was in the 20’s with even colder windchill then. 

• Like 1
banasophia
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Dammit, can’t seem to catch a break. The power went out 25 min ago 🤬. Not gonna worry until it gets to the hour mark. 

Ah man!!! My power went out and just came back on too and I just came in here to N-R get my light settings from my journal... luckily it wasn’t out long, but the light settings on the Biocube totally reset with a loss in power... thankfully the AI Prime on my other tank doesn’t do that. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef

One more long weekend down, the tank seems to have no major problem after this one.  Alk tested around 7 dKH today. I did dose (admittedly, without testing) 10 ml of Red Sea alk last night when I got home.  One more long weekend to get through in August (for now) to get through the summer.  

This tank is keeping me on the edge. One thing that showed up a little bit before (or maybe after? 🤔) the alk spike is these stringy white stuff on the back wall. I scrape them off every few days and try to make sure they don’t stick to anything else on their way to the filter floss.  Just gonna keep this manual routine going for a little bit. 

• Like 7
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

One more long weekend down, the tank seems to have no major problem after this one.  Alk tested around 7 dKH today. I did dose (admittedly, without testing) 10 ml of Red Sea alk last night when I got home.  One more long weekend to get through in August (for now) to get through the summer.  

This tank is keeping me on the edge. One thing that showed up a little bit before (or maybe after? 🤔) the alk spike is these stringy white stuff on the back wall. I scrape them off every few days and try to make sure they don’t stick to anything else on their way to the filter floss.  Just gonna keep this manual routine going for a little bit. 

Glad the tank is doing well :smilie:

• Like 2
mitten_reef

So, some of the blue corals, specifically the Oregon tort and Cali tort, have been slowly turning green. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it other than high nitrate. 

HAVE YOU CLEAN THAT ONE AREA LATELY? THE ONE YOU'VE BEEN PUTTING OFF EVERY WATER CHANGE, you know you have one. here’s mine 🤢🤮 - just one - ONE - section of the AIO chamber. 

48269399926_1d52758f14_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

So, some of the blue corals, specifically the Oregon tort and Cali tort, have been slowly turning green. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it other than high nitrate. 

HAVE YOU CLEAN THAT ONE AREA LATELY? THE ONE YOU'VE BEEN PUTTING OFF EVERY WATER CHANGE, you know you have one. here’s mine 🤢🤮 - just one - ONE - section of the AIO chamber. 

48269399926_1d52758f14_b.jpg

You should see my sump. 

Regarding the green question - is it greening from the base up or the top down?

mitten_reef
6 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

You should see my sump. 

Regarding the green question - is it greening from the base up or the top down?

Base up, tips are still blue. The Oregon tort turns teal-ish at the base, not full green. 

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Base up, tips are still blue. The Oregon tort turns teal-ish at the base, not full green. 

Could be shading? The underside of my branches seem more prone to green tints than the rest.

mitten_reef
On 7/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, pokerdobe said:

Could be shading? The underside of my branches seem more prone to green tints than the rest.

could be....not necessarily shading (they're both just single sticks with minimal side branch), but just not enough light?  I got plenty more room to go with light intensity, just don't wanna blast some of the less light-loving pieces on the rack.

I need to move the frags off that stupidly-large frag rack.  I actually need 2 new, smaller racks so one can be high light and one medium.  

oh, if any of you on IG and haven't followed this guy https://www.instagram.com/martentagaeus/  go check out his underwater photography.  It'll put you in perspective of what a coral colony should look like 😂

• Like 1