Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Cencalfishguy56
On 11/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, mitten_reef said:

The recovery corner 🏥 

50611940097_c23e273cf3_b.jpg

It’s nuts how much tissue has come back, it looks like it’s gonna be a beauty! Nice job 👍🏼 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

Amazing tank. Inspiring. I hope to have something like this. Bravo

thanks! appreciate the kind words.  it has been a long running experiment of what can I get away with.  

7 hours ago, Cencalfishguy56 said:

It’s nuts how much tissue has come back, it looks like it’s gonna be a beauty! Nice job 👍🏼 

at the rate that it was deteriorating shortly after i broke the skeleton, I didn't think it'd make it.  it still has a long way to go, but I'm loving its colors and progress so far.

• Like 3

Here’s the latest recovery shot

The big one is so puffy, it actually looks larger than the skeleton underneath for the first time. 
the little one, you can see there’s a quarter of the skeleton that the coral flesh is completely gone. Well, after grabbing this pic, I decided to pop that chunk off and as suspected, no connected tissue left on that one.  
i also peeled up all of the zoas on the tank floor shown in this shot, and put them on frag tiles.

50627384826_f2f7527881_b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

The big one is so puffy, it actually looks larger than the skeleton underneath for the first time. 
the little one, you can see there’s a quarter of the skeleton that the coral flesh is completely gone. Well, after grabbing this pic, I decided to pop that chunk off and as suspected, no connected tissue left on that one.  
i also peeled up all of the zoas on the tank floor shown in this shot, and put them on frag tiles.

I’m loving those oranges. Both gonna look fabulous when healed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You really are starting to get some nice colors from both of them. The one on the tight looks like it wants to turn rainbow. Can tell the flesh that is there is happy and fluffy on each of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

something new arrived today

50643375461_3fd6606511_b.jpg

Very nice. I have one Acro in my frag that is brown and do not know what I am doing wrong. Everything else is looking good and has really nice color.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2020 at 8:15 PM, mitten_reef said:

Really been enjoying your pics lately.  I mean, I've always enjoyed your pics, but I'm super excited to see that your camera skillz are achieving next level status for the benefit of us all.  It's very inspirational.  So as I'm reflecting on what I'm thankful for, I'd like to say thank you @mitten_reef for sharing your experiences and engaging us all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/21/2020 at 12:19 PM, xiaoxiy said:

That has healed up so nicely! I love the orange body with green streaks! 

I can’t wait for them both to get brighter, hopefully. 

On 11/21/2020 at 12:47 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

You really are starting to get some nice colors from both of them. The one on the tight looks like it wants to turn rainbow. Can tell the flesh that is there is happy and fluffy on each of them. 

They’re super fluffy 

15 hours ago, SaltyTanks said:

Really been enjoying your pics lately.  I mean, I've always enjoyed your pics, but I'm super excited to see that your camera skillz are achieving next level status for the benefit of us all.  It's very inspirational.  So as I'm reflecting on what I'm thankful for, I'd like to say thank you @mitten_reef for sharing your experiences and engaging us all!

Thank you!  I’ve been too lazy with the real camera. Using the real camera is still work-in-progress, as I’m still refining the settings for both in-camera and post-editing. 

on another, bitter news, lost the gold torch this week. I actually tried to introduce a couple of new torches, one gold and one yellow tip. But end up losing both the new gold and my existing gold. 😭. Here’s the remaining torch, kinda green with yellow tips, dirty glass and all. 

• Sad 5

Euphillia are the most absolutely amazing, awful, easy, impossible corals.
Sorry to hear about them deciding to die-off like that, it's awful and frankly damn-near a miracle of bad-luck in a system like yours...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Euphillia are the most absolutely amazing, awful, easy, impossible corals.
Sorry to hear about them deciding to die-off like that, it's awful and frankly damn-near a miracle of bad-luck in a system like yours...

Thanks. I’m not too surprised. My existing gold torch had been acting weird the last couple of months, so I decided to give it an iodine dip (Reef Dip) along with the new gold which came in a lil beat up (free, can’t complain).  Well that backfired and killed both pieces, with reason unknown, other than they’re the only two dead ones, and they’re the only one that got dipped. 

it’s bound to catch up with me trying to have a mixed reef while catering to the acros mostly - especially for lighting and nutrients level.  Not everything is compatible in a shallow, nano mixed reef.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks. I’m not too surprised. My existing gold torch had been acting weird the last couple of months, so I decided to give it an iodine dip (Reef Dip) along with the new gold which came in a lil beat up (free, can’t complain).  Well that backfired and killed both pieces, with reason unknown, other than they’re the only two dead ones, and they’re the only one that got dipped. 

it’s bound to catch up with me trying to have a mixed reef while catering to the acros mostly - especially for lighting and nutrients level.  Not everything is compatible in a shallow, nano mixed reef.  

Boooooooooooooooo!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

lost the gold torch this week

You did what !!!!!  Now how are you going to be able to frag it for me!

Seriously though buddy that's a huge bummer.. 😪... the new little torch looks cool though. Hope it takes off for ya

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C6050A08-C985-42D9-9DB0-41D6AAC14AED.jpeg

should look into this as future utility sink replacement, I like the side counter.  right now it's just one of those twin plastic tubs at the new house.  I'm sure I can also find plastic version with side countertop....that'd be cheaper.  but with many restaurant shuttering, I bet many of these will be up for grab in the future.  better keep an eye out.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

C6050A08-C985-42D9-9DB0-41D6AAC14AED.jpeg

should look into this as future utility sink replacement, I like the side counter.  right now it's just one of those twin plastic tubs at the new house.  I'm sure I can also find plastic version with side countertop....that'd be cheaper.  but with many restaurant shuttering, I bet many of these will be up for grab in the future.  better keep an eye out.

I bought this little one years ago. It was under 200 bucks back then. Didnt have the valves so I had left over tubing material and valves from a bid job i used instead of buying a faucet 😂

Screenshot_20201202-065303_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Dang must be the time of year for torches to burn out............. I lost about 3 heads on one of mine last week......... not sure wtf happened but the rest of the colony is doing fine......... got to love this hobby :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

I bought this little one years ago. It was under 200 bucks back then. Didnt have the valves so I had left over tubing material and valves from a bid job i used instead of buying a faucet 😂

Screenshot_20201202-065303_Chrome.jpg

that's a pretty setup you got there.  I could use one like that in the new basement.  might have to shift the washer dryer around a bit, we'll see, not priority.

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Dang must be the time of year for torches to burn out............. I lost about 3 heads on one of mine last week......... not sure wtf happened but the rest of the colony is doing fine......... got to love this hobby :biggrin: 

that sucks....sorry.  but totally par for the course with this hobby, I agree.  you can't win them all.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Dang....next time you in orlando, I will frag you an indo gold torch =P.  Usually when my torch looks off, I move it somewhere else and just feed it more.  

hey, welcome back!  how's everything going down in FL?  

9 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Dang....next time you in orlando, I will frag you an indo gold torch =P.  Usually when my torch looks off, I move it somewhere else and just feed it more.  

I can be in Orlando in 2 1/2 hours...Just sayin' 😜

• Haha 4
On 12/3/2020 at 9:44 PM, mitten_reef said:

hey, welcome back!  how's everything going down in FL?  

things are....going =P.  lots of issues with house and wife fractured her ankle.  but tank is doing well.  too lazy to update my build threads...hahah

On 12/4/2020 at 6:48 AM, Pjanssen said:

I can be in Orlando in 2 1/2 hours...Just sayin' 😜

if you ever come my way, let me know!  i have corals to give away...zoas, birdsnest, starburst monti.  i have frags literally dying because i have no room for them....

• Like 4
  • Wow 1