inTank Media Baskets

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

7/24

584F4739-5613-4EE7-9027-5E52AF15BC09.thumb.jpeg.8b4a30a2d63954207cbe0a778d1cda67.jpeg

8/14

257C0A12-C5CA-44A6-A3D9-BB78379FB3D7.thumb.jpeg.cc917fc58eab986d9e6a4b7184ba13a5.jpeg

Which angle?

I'm always a fan of a smidge of a top angle. Only cause you can see EVERYTHING that way 🙂 looking dope! Love that plating coral on the floor so cool

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I love both. It's hard to pick. 🤔

Right? They both have their own good and bad. But I do like both too. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTanks said:

I like how beefy everything looks in the first angle and how the floor pieces showcase better in the 2nd. I wonder if you could scoot in close with a super wide angle lens & snap one that might display both features?

I like how you explained it. Level-view accents the size of the pieces better, but less on shape and colors.  I may have to try the recommendation on wide angle shot. 

2 hours ago, Matteo said:

I'm always a fan of a smidge of a top angle. Only cause you can see EVERYTHING that way 🙂 looking dope! Love that plating coral on the floor so cool

Yup, we know that by now 🤪😉.  The monti on the floor is a big encrusting slab of sunset monti. It may be one of the corals that won’t make it to the next tank tho, we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

I just caught back up; things look fantastic Mitten!

Thanks man. 

58 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Looking good in there! 

Appreciate it!

56 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Wow mitten this is #GOALS

Wow, thanks 🙏.  

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Teach me how to keep clams.

I was told they’re not any different than acros as far as care requirements. They love calcium tho, so I read.  That might be why my calcium got so low. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

I was told they’re not any different than acros as far as care requirements. They love calcium tho, so I read.  That might be why my calcium got so low. 

They also told me that birdsnest and stylos were easy sps to keep. 

Lies. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

They also told me that birdsnest and stylos were easy sps to keep. 

Lies. 

I can tell you that once you have acros as big and as fast as yours are growing, other SPS will struggle to keep up with acro's growth rates. 

My BoP had not budged in months (until very recently), even tho acros were growing just fine.  the montis slowed wayyyy down too.

• Like 3
On 7/26/2020 at 10:45 PM, mitten_reef said:

Umm, still never measured par.  But it’s about 8” from the 4-bulb T5 fixture. 

thanks. 

so coralline has looked a little off lately, less than a week. Drab color and brown splotches, I thought surely from extra algae due to increased feeding. But since i just didn’t feel settled about it, I decided to test alk 😅, everything is alk’s false.   Welp, we have alk at 9.8 this afternoon, right before another dose scheduled to be added.  This has accumulated/increased over time, so I’m not exactly concerned.  Gonna let it slowly ride down, and cutting the doser by one minute for the time being. Also wc day today. So a lot happening, will probably re test sometimes Tuesday or Wednesday. 

while I’m at it, I decide to see why alk is high despite so much growth. Calcium turned out to be low, 300 ppm!!  Mag is elevated, 1600, but it supposedly doesn’t bother anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think calcium might be limiting alk uptake due to its low concentration.  Anyway, if you don’t test often like me, be sure to test your water at the first sign that things don’t look right. No one knows your tank better than you. 

So, I never report back on the progress of this. 😅 I’m terrible with testing. 

anyway, just tested this afternoon. 
alk - 6.5

cal - 450-500 

Alk decrease is likely two-fold. Cal is more available, I also cut the doser by one minute.   I’ve been dosing cal at 10 ml daily in the effort to raise it from the depth. 

• Wow 1

Let’s jump on the scoly bandwagon. rescued (adopted?) these two from LFS.  
these were taken in “daylight”, as in out in my driveway when I got home, because they were so bright!
1903D699-A7F5-4444-9FCE-859652609327.thumb.jpeg.bc18c878c0b065639796d918bd28f2f2.jpegE747A388-7B63-46EE-9810-84643CAB9E09.thumb.jpeg.e111803a0cdfadbb8f10490853e250d8.jpeg

under the tank light 

3A0D24DD-B8D6-469E-87AB-273E8F7B2F0B.thumb.jpeg.3a33ef5c8f942230ccde338dd69681b7.jpeg

I mangled up the bright orange one pretty bad while removing a large aipatsia on its base rock. here they are this morning (room light only), both showed some reaction to feeding. 
744676E2-46CD-4937-A14D-2CC7B96CE75B.thumb.jpeg.9c4bcc0ac62827a60e4ef39b0c161492.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

My wife said I can't follow your threads anymore, because everytime you post something, I want to buy something. 

So I put my foot down and told her, oh well...deal with it, I'll follow who I want and Ill buy what I want.

Oh crap, brb, my wife is coming. 🤣

• Haha 3

It’s kinda cool to watch the recovery progress of these two under some TLC (2.5 days in). They were just sorta left to die at LFS since they’re in such bad shape, I doubt anyone was going to purchase them.  here are some crappy blue photos. Even the smaller one started to puff up in places. 
DA2A515A-0F39-4FFE-B1EE-96A7FD0F5556.thumb.jpeg.f67ecbb1ffce720ea24ebb43754319b8.jpegFAC96D33-7716-43BB-B73E-CD9B327717AE.thumb.jpeg.b3fd585176fcad34402bfc71fb093e5c.jpeg

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

It’s kinda cool to watch the recovery progress of these two under some TLC (2.5 days in). They were just sorta left to die at LFS since they’re in such bad shape, I doubt anyone was going to purchase them.  here are some crappy blue photos. Even the smaller one started to puff up in places. 
DA2A515A-0F39-4FFE-B1EE-96A7FD0F5556.thumb.jpeg.f67ecbb1ffce720ea24ebb43754319b8.jpegFAC96D33-7716-43BB-B73E-CD9B327717AE.thumb.jpeg.b3fd585176fcad34402bfc71fb093e5c.jpeg

So what was the TLC that help them recover?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

So what was the TLC that help them recover?

actually, I'm doing almost nothing 🤣 other than a pair of watchful eyes and my routine feeding of the tank.  they haven't accepted any mysis I target-fed them yet, but seems to like when I broadcast some phyto in the morning.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

actually, I'm doing almost nothing 🤣 other than a pair of watchful eyes and my routine feeding of the tank.  they haven't accepted any mysis I target-fed them yet, but seems to like when I broadcast some phyto in the morning.  

Have you tried some roids? Also it would be super cool if you took the same picture (from the same spot and angle) of them every three days of so, it would be really cool to see the recovery process at the end of a month. Kinda like a time lapse. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Cannedfish said:

Have you tried some roids? Also it would be super cool if you took the same picture (from the same spot and angle) of them every three days of so, it would be really cool to see the recovery process at the end of a month. Kinda like a time lapse. 

No, I haven't dusted roids directly over them, but the tank does get some roids broadcast for acros in the evenings.  It's part of "waking up routine" for those pesky sun corals you got me hooked on.    

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Okay, I thought you might be giving them plenty of Bed Rest and chicken noodle soup. 😀 😂

• Haha 4

Looks like those may turn into something special as they recover! I had one fat red scoly. Was one of my favorite corals. Im struggling to decide if I want any in my tank. I saw those mini scolys and would love to have a garden of them. 

• Like 3