Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef
Just now, spectra said:

just giving you shit.................... tank looks great wish I could grow sps................not sure wtf is going on still..............

I re-watched the video twice trying to decipher if you had mistaken something as aiptasia. 😂

What are the water results? You sent a while ago didn’t you?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

aiptasia-free for a few years now, zero-0 🤗!

Last aiptasia I saw was back around when I started out the Cadlight34 transfer (that’s 2017 ish), and haven’t seen any since. 

I would bet, that even if you had aiptasia, it would be the coolest aiptasia anyone has ever seen. 

Your tank is amazing. I honestly think that my tank gets jealous whenever I look at your pictures 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
SaltyTanks
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

This one didn’t make it for the photo shoot the other day, but caught this with iPhone (had to tone the blue down quite a bit)

836A6030-391E-4864-9DAF-D40302E2C15D.thumb.jpeg.f11231a01436c2f7b139f75b62252470.jpeg

Geez - yellow tips surrounded by clam, zoas, and milli looks so good...nailed it! 

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
On 7/4/2020 at 1:08 AM, SaltyTanks said:

Geez - yellow tips surrounded by clam, zoas, and milli looks so good...nailed it! 

Thanks!  appreciate the feedback.  I like the artistic take on your tank.  And while I suck at articulating any specific artistic goals, my one goal is to focus (even more?) on color and texture/structure mixing in the new tank.  

On 7/4/2020 at 1:24 AM, debbeach13 said:

Little slice of heaven

🙏

19 hours ago, jcreefer said:

Awesome growth and coloration.  Someday, my tank will get to your level 👍🏼

your tank is awesome already, everything is maturing in nicely.   If you'd like to have more sticks, I'd recommend NOT doing what I did (60+% changeover on livestocks).  Rather, start introducing a few frags now and let them catch up with the rest of your maturing stuff.  2018-2019 was a huge disorganized, chaotic phase on the changeover to acro-dominate tank - there were times that I questioned myself on that big changeover. 

16 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Beautiful as always! 

#timeandpatience 😉.

And good Monday morning from the reef.  Here's the Oregon Tort with just the iPhone camera flash.  one of my top-5 "must-have" corals, for anyone serious about acros.  

• Like 7
mitten_reef
On 7/4/2020 at 1:24 AM, debbeach13 said:

Little slice of heaven

PS. I found where I posted my mostly-mushroom tank.  I knew I posted it once on here.  Now looking at it again, I think the right-side branchy rock in the middle is STILL with me to this day (now the base of the acro rock on the right island),  

• Like 4
Cannedfish

Speaking of top 5 acros, these are mine (not in any order) at the moment:

• Walt Disney 
  • SC Orange Passion
  • ASD Rainbow
  • Dragon (preferably yellow tipped)
  • Space Laser / All Star

Honorable Mentions: jaw dropper, fox flame, highlighter, cherry bomb, bonsai, Pink Floyd, SSC

I’d be interested in what other stick heads think...

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

there were times that I questioned myself on that big changeover

I still question removing those awesome plating montis😡😧🤪

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Speaking of top 5 acros, these are mine (not in any order) at the moment:

• Walt Disney 
  • SC Orange Passion
  • ASD Rainbow
  • Dragon (preferably yellow tipped)
  • Space Laser / All Star

Honorable Mentions: jaw dropper, fox flame, highlighter, cherry bomb, bonsai, Pink Floyd, SSC

I’d be interested in what other stick heads think...

Hmm, I’m gonna go with a bit more generic descriptors and something mid range price-wise:

• oregon tort 
  • dragon (preferably two-colored variant)
  • tabling acro (e.g. PC superman, classic terra del fuego, wwc heartbreaker)
  • true yellow: Pink Floyd, Wolverine, and the likes.
  • a good ssc or a pearlberry, 
  • a two-toned Millie, ASD rainbow or any sunset Millie would probably work

I realized I ended up with 6 groups up there, but they’re all very unique.  For the “if you can find it cheaper than list price” ones, the list definitely includes:

• walt disney
  • sc orange passion
  • TGC cherry bomb
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

I still question removing those awesome plating montis😡😧🤪

Oh, it was tough for sure when my frag-topia was in the beginning of the transition, going from quite mature reef to frag racks.  Making matter worse, the LFS had an issue with alk and lost all my monti’s. I couldn’t even go back to him for any backup 😩. Luckily, I hung on to small pieces of both the big red and the leng sy. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Can’t remember the last time I did water change.   😅🤔 getting a little red fuzzy algae around the rocks for the first time in forever, could it be liking the T5 full spectrum (Coral+)? Or just finally have enough spare nutrients in the water column for them? Who knows?  Really need to test N and P. 

5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

When you start siphon by sucking, and this came out, 🤢🤮.  right side is fresh mixed sw for comparison.  I’m really terrible with water change. 😅
60AD423F-6F49-4182-97A6-5CBCE7FB2623.thumb.jpeg.b712e51e993a570d319346d24686a363.jpeg

Well your not supposed to get it in your mouth.................:lol: rookie.............

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
22 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well your not supposed to get it in your mouth.................:lol: rookie.............

Nah, mostly gross out when I have to restart siphon when switching between the chambers in the back of the IM tank. 

on another news, the zoa garden is creeping up the front glass. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
CE06B3E3-6065-4F6D-A17E-71FF193B0480.thumb.jpeg.46a85eb0409355459fafb7cbffc6849b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

When you start siphon by sucking, and this came out, 🤢🤮.  right side is fresh mixed sw for comparison.  I’m really terrible with water change. 😅
60AD423F-6F49-4182-97A6-5CBCE7FB2623.thumb.jpeg.b712e51e993a570d319346d24686a363.jpeg

Welp, I did it!!! I test both nitrate AND phosphate for the first time, in case of phosphate this is my first ever test!

anyway I took sample from the top of the discarded water, it’s actually clearer than it seems. The color is mostly from the fine and course sediments.  There we have it, just glad to see a smidge of both. Nitrate probably needs to be higher per many other discussions on here. 

nitrate = < 0.25

ADB811D1-C7D0-4955-B4CA-0BC1550FE5A1.thumb.jpeg.357387b07104fb713cdab9a7b85a4d4b.jpeg

phosphate ~ 0.02 ppm 

CD8DEC56-347C-422A-9908-CDCA1CD4E40F.thumb.jpeg.4158a97a896ea6d8a7ee553323fa844d.jpeg

Sooo, my dirty water is cleaner than most tanks out there.  Nuts. Maybe I need to run a little carbon again to take the yellow out of the water a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
28 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Welp, I did it!!! I test both nitrate AND phosphate for the first time, in case of phosphate this is my first ever test!

anyway I took sample from the top of the discarded water, it’s actually clearer than it seems. The color is mostly from the fine and course sediments.  There we have it, just glad to see a smidge of both. Nitrate probably needs to be higher per many other discussions on here. 

nitrate = < 0.25

ADB811D1-C7D0-4955-B4CA-0BC1550FE5A1.thumb.jpeg.357387b07104fb713cdab9a7b85a4d4b.jpeg

phosphate ~ 0.02 ppm 

CD8DEC56-347C-422A-9908-CDCA1CD4E40F.thumb.jpeg.4158a97a896ea6d8a7ee553323fa844d.jpeg

Sooo, my dirty water is cleaner than most tanks out there.  Nuts. Maybe I need to run a little carbon again to take the yellow out of the water a bit. 

What test kit is that?

ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Those are Red Sea nitrate and phosphate kit (algae control pro kit)

Gotcha. I use Hanna checkers for everything but nitrate and mag and I am just waiting for the day they say the Hanna nitrate checker is in stock. Then they just need a mag checker and I’ll be set!!!! The color tests really break my eyes

mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Gotcha. I use Hanna checkers for everything but nitrate and mag and I am just waiting for the day they say the Hanna nitrate checker is in stock. Then they just need a mag checker and I’ll be set!!!! The color tests really break my eyes

I guess I like the act of mixing things. 😅

these do take forever to develop colors tho, 9 min on N and 15 min on P. I don’t know about any other kit. I have hanna alk checker that’s still in the box, cuz I’m too comfortable with my Red Sea routine. Yeah, can you believe it?