SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

31 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Fantastic choice. Will you be updating on this thread or starting a new one?

Thank you, I think I’ll like it a lot more than my current tank.

I’ll likely continue updating on this thread. It’s just gonna be a tank transfer ?. 

Got the two items that I ordered over Black Friday wknd, will run @inTank media basket on one side and the stock filter sock on the other. Since the tank comes with two, I would always have a clean sock ready. 

Gotta work on tank transfer strategy. As the new tank will have to go on the same stand as the current tank. The big monti is so big, that rock won’t fit in a 5-gallon bucket ?. Might have to see if the LFS will lend me one of their 25-gallon tubs for holding. 

23870554577_7d62e0392b_b.jpg

Cool packing inside, the interior box is just floating within the foam cushion. 

38735860921_6fe0067aab_b.jpg

The goal is to have the 30L up and running by new year. 

Really looking forward to seeing the 30L because the tank you have now is absolutely gorgeous. That huge monti you have has to be one of my all time favorite corals. Have fun with the new set-up!

• Like 1
On 11/29/2017 at 9:48 PM, micoastreefing said:

Got the two items that I ordered over Black Friday wknd, will run @inTank media basket on one side and the stock filter sock on the other. Since the tank comes with two, I would always have a clean sock ready. 

Thanks for the order!  When you get sick of those filter socks come visit us again for a filter floss holder ;)

That foam packaging is awesome, awesome expensive.  Used to use it before inTank to ship really heavy machine parts.  Think it was about $7 average cost per shipment, plus the machine you have to keep them held in before reaction.  Looks to be way more than that from your pic.  It is very effective though and help cut down on tank breakage.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2017 at 7:48 PM, micoastreefing said:

Gotta work on tank transfer strategy. As the new tank will have to go on the same stand as the current tank. The big monti is so big, that rock won’t fit in a 5-gallon bucket ?. Might have to see if the LFS will lend me one of their 25-gallon tubs for holding. 

23870554577_7d62e0392b_b.jpg

Cool packing inside, the interior box is just floating within the foam cushion. 

38735860921_6fe0067aab_b.jpg

The goal is to have the 30L up and running by new year. 

LOL! You couldn't help yourself huh? Those sales make it too easy to pull the trigger.

Well, I'll be tagging along. Excited to see this come together!

• Like 1
On 11/29/2017 at 10:55 PM, Cannedfish said:

This is gonna be good. Hell, I might send you some real beer to aid the project. eith way, I'm all in..

All set on beers ? ?. Thanks for following along. 

On 11/29/2017 at 10:59 PM, jamo130788 said:

that plate coral is epic!

Sure is! 

On 11/29/2017 at 11:04 PM, hinnenkm said:

Really looking forward to seeing the 30L because the tank you have now is absolutely gorgeous. That huge monti you have has to be one of my all time favorite corals. Have fun with the new set-up!

It’s my favorite too! ? I’m taking my time planning the transfer. Thinking the extra length may give me some space for a Ric/acan/zoas garden. 

On 12/1/2017 at 12:48 PM, inTank said:

Thanks for the order!  When you get sick of those filter socks come visit us again for a filter floss holder ;)

That foam packaging is awesome, awesome expensive.  Used to use it before inTank to ship really heavy machine parts.  Think it was about $7 average cost per shipment, plus the machine you have to keep them held in before reaction.  Looks to be way more than that from your pic.  It is very effective though and help cut down on tank breakage.

Yeah I debated getting two floss holders or a media basket - end up with the basket, for now. Once those socks are done for, I’ll be back to get the floss holder!

On 12/1/2017 at 1:16 PM, Justind823 said:

LOL! You couldn't help yourself huh? Those sales make it too easy to pull the trigger.

Well, I'll be tagging along. Excited to see this come together!

Yeah, those sales are not nice to my wallet. I saw you got some stuff too ?. 

5 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Love your leopard wrasse! Beautiful fish. Coral is looking good too!

Thanks for stopping by! Your tank probably was the first 3-ft long nano/AIO that I fell in love with. Glad to see your update the other day. 

• Like 2
Polarcollision
5 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks for stopping by! Your tank probably was the first 3-ft long nano/AIO that I fell in love with. Glad to see your update the other day. 

I've been out of touch with the new tank offerings. but NOW I know that your tank is the same dimension as mine! woohooo! awesome! it's one of the best dimensions to work with for a small tank. Opens up options for fish since there's more length to swim and then just the many rockscape options. Speaking if, no wonder I liked your scape - we have similar aesthetic tendencies. :-) Well, I'm excited to see what you do with this new tank. HUrry up and get it going! :-)

Edit: wait, I'm looking at IM's website. Is this not an AIO anymore? Interesting!

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, I'm really excited to see what you do with the new tank! 

@Polarcollision: the BRS site shows it as an AIO.

Thanks for stopping by! I love all of your tanks, and have been following them all :ninja:.  

On 12/3/2017 at 2:00 PM, Polarcollision said:

I've been out of touch with the new tank offerings. but NOW I know that your tank is the same dimension as mine! woohooo! awesome! it's one of the best dimensions to work with for a small tank. Opens up options for fish since there's more length to swim and then just the many rockscape options. Speaking if, no wonder I liked your scape - we have similar aesthetic tendencies. :-) Well, I'm excited to see what you do with this new tank. HUrry up and get it going! :-)

Edit: wait, I'm looking at IM's website. Is this not an AIO anymore? Interesting!

Like @teenyreef said, the tank that I ordered is an AIO.   IM now carries two line of their Nuvo tanks, Fusion and Black series.  The Fusion series are AIOs.  The Black series are the tank-only (the ones you saw on their website).  There are a few ppl working on the sump system with the Nuvo Black that I've been following; they're all very cool.  @Halo_003 and @samnaz both have the Black 30Long in-the-making. @c_man7 has a Black 25 lagoon build that has a really nice start to a build thread.     

Hope to have update soon. 

• Like 3

So this happened this morning.

All the big rockscape pieces in the 18 gallon rubbermaid tote. BoP fell off its perch above the monti's.  

38235464195_6688102637_b.jpg

Tank's draining....

38235465965_b1c9d2fe36_b.jpg

Tank drained:

24256488387_630fb9c1c8_b.jpg

Everyone went into the new tank:

24256489007_33dc9f3079_b.jpg

About an hour later, water cleared up:

24256489847_a8a4596f9e_b.jpg

During the move:

• I lost my pistol shrimp, somehow he wandered into the powerhead that was in the rubbermaid tub, seeing the aftermath was not a pretty sight :(.  So that's one confirmed casualty.
  • I also still have not seen the peppermint shrimp.  But he could be hiding somewhere among the rocks.
  • no major damage to any corals that I'm aware of.
  • For some of you who'd been watching the mystic sunset encrusting on the old tank's back wall. I'm happy to report that, with a scraper, it peeled off into a few small "sheets" that I was able to glue them down onto a frag plug. 
  • Started a second patch of ric's, combining multiple frags that had been laying around on a cluster of rocks. 

Next up:

• Better pics to come.
  • Obviously, I hadn't changed the scape much. But I figured I need to get the transfer all done (still took me over the 2 hours I had estimated) and see how everything fits the new tank. 
  • Need to get another pistol shrimp to go with my YWG. The LFS had multiple candy cane pistols two weeks ago - might get one of those for a splash of color. Hate to admit this, but I'm sort of excited about the possibility of a new pistol. 
  • Also need to figure out the light mount, the tank legs no longer work for this length. Thinking of going with a wall-mount L-bracket and hang.

On 12/10/2017 at 12:16 AM, teenyreef said:

I hate finding fish stuck to the powerhead. Sorry about the leopard :(

Thanks, teeny. I'll probably hold off on any more fish for a while. 

• Like 2

It looks soooo good! The scape actually looks quite different from what I remember, looks even better now I think! And the transfer only took two hours? You make it look so easy...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, samnaz said:

It looks soooo good! The scape actually looks quite different from what I remember, looks even better now I think! And the transfer only took two hours? You make it look so easy...

Thanks!  It took me closer to 3 hours for the actual move.  I had hoped to get it all done in 2.  What you didn't realize is the amount of time I spent visualizing the steps in my head prior...;) - A LOT.  I finally wrote it all down the night before, and my wife made fun of me for being a nerd and doing that :lol:.  

Yes, I like the little bit more openness the wider view gives, and now my corals look like they're about to grow through the roof!  :D

• Like 1

Wow, the tank looks great! As exemplified by my lack of an NBA and/or adult film career, it's amazing what just a few inches can do. In all seriousness, the increased size really opens up the scape and gives the tank a whole different but similar look. 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

In all seriousness, the increased size really opens up the scape and gives the tank a whole different but similar look. 

Hahaha, this sounds like a nice way of saying I didn’t do sh*t.  which in all seriousness, I did very little to the scape other than knocking off the birdnest. 

In other news, I found the peppermint shrimp, so I wasn’t a shrimp mass murderer yesterday.  

In somewhat of an oversight, my big Tunze return pump won’t play nice with the new stock plumbing. ?‍♂️ I’ve seen many ppl run a dual return pumps scheme - gonna have to fork out some more money ? for a couple of Sicce syncra 1.5’s maybe 2.0’s.  The stock pump isn’t bad, and can be used for the time being. It just can’t be used without those hideous, light blocking, flat return nozzles, otherwise the water comes out splashing everywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 3:01 PM, Polarcollision said:

absolutely beautiful scape! I love it! Teach me your red dragon keeping skills. I've killed 4 frags now. PS, congrats on the new tank!

The red dragon growth is pure luck. I wish I knew the secret. It sure is a finicky coral though, took a long time before it decided it was happy with my tank, lost two really big frags out of three that I started out with. 

My tank dKH dropped to 5 (or below!) - only need 3 ml of Red Sea reagent to turn color, which wasn’t even on their chart. Found this out only 3 days before our 5-day Christmas trip. In all honesty, I don’t even know when it went down. I think I might have read the results incorrectly the last time I tested and backed off on dosing due to the incorrect reading.  Well, happy to report that there’s no ill effect so far and I was steadily dosing a little extra alk daily for three days and did a water change (Red Sea coral pro) before the trip.

And still dosing alk daily since I’ve been back from the trip. 

Today, I went to the LFS and got my YWG a new friend, a candy cane pistol shrimp! One of my favorites, will probably always have one in any tank. While there, got talked into buying a yellow coris wrasse, ugh, why can’t I say no. My wife wasn’t amused, she just said is this fish gonna die again?  I’m just not having any luck with my choice of third fish lately ?.  So here fingerscrossed to this one.  

A lot of blah blah but the two new additions just aren’t willing participants for photos today. Tank maintenance tomorrow, maybe more pics then. 

• Like 4

So when you have a 6 months old and can't do a whole lot of anything else on NYE, you go and take pictures of your nano reef.  

Also checked the alk, it had been raised to around 6.5 as of tonight over the last 10+ days or so. :happy: We're getting there, would like it to be around 7.5-8. 

Tonight is all top-down shots, didn't clean the glass yet.  Here we go:

Left side:

25549938628_b87cae9ebe_b.jpg

Right side (starting to see various colors other than brown:haha::

39419953591_c7a060414f_b.jpg

Couple shots of the rBTA

24554068637_67311c8f19_b.jpg

39419951601_c8a9d1b93c_b.jpg

SunnyD continues to GROW and GLOW

24554063067_331640ac0d_b.jpg

Same as the Rastas, only about half of the polyps are open

24554064957_60649af583_b.jpg

Some close-ups:

Blue acro.  I'm a bit iffy on the contrasting back drop of starburst cap, now that the cap is growing out a bit.

39419952671_9aceeb18ae_b.jpg

ORA Bird of Paradise with a very nice Acan (IMHO)

24554063887_cef33d0e20_b.jpg

Superman digi starting to show some growth

24554067827_e84ea1be7a_b.jpg

An acro pack, very happy that the far right one is gaining some colors since the move to a new tank, even though it's mostly green right now :D

24554066317_89915d731d_b.jpg

Red Dragon: this one has been gaining some growth momentum.

24554069877_dd58bed019_b.jpg

And of course, my most favorite coral in the tank is gaining its metallic sheen once again! 

24554070797_94dd362ff1_b.jpg

Hope everyone has a very fun (and safe) new year's eve celebration and bests to all in 2018!

• Like 3