Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef

This page desperately needs a decent coral photo. Let’s go with this one.B6B6C7B0-4768-4AC9-9C1D-843C7D46C7C2.thumb.jpeg.fd99f2ae60291d829f5765dfd86495bb.jpeg

Edited by mitten_reef
Oops, looks like it just bumps to the new page. 😂
  • Like 11
47 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Ok, two really tiny scoops see pic below. That’s the little tiny spoon that comes with one of the Red Sea test kits, either Ca or Mg I don’t remember.  The lid of the little reef roid jar is what the scoop is sitting on. 
I put this in one of those 2-oz plastic to-go sauce cup, fill mostly full with tank water, shake it to mix, then target feed the acros. I give a small puff around frag/colony areas, with all pumps off. Let it sit til the pumps come back on on their own (both the gyre and the mighty jet return pumps have 10 min feed timer). The food that didn’t “fall” on the polyps just kinda get redistributed around the tank afterward for a second feeding. 
I try to feed sparingly because I have no filtration beyond the floss at the overflow. 

when I do frozen food for fish, the torch and acan do get little squirts of frozen mix liquid.  Usually thaw half a cube in the 2-oz cup also.  
Is that too much info? 😂

860A2B1D-6AEA-4B52-9173-9C6629ABA50E.thumb.jpeg.b5dc197e36fe099eb79b598da7bf10f1.jpeg

Nope perfect😎

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

This page desperately needs a decent coral photo. Let’s go with this one.B6B6C7B0-4768-4AC9-9C1D-843C7D46C7C2.thumb.jpeg.fd99f2ae60291d829f5765dfd86495bb.jpeg

Is that the Fire Dragon?  It's looking good.

Is that a Leng Sy cap in the background?

• Like 1
mitten_reef
30 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Is that the Fire Dragon?  It's looking good.

Is that a Leng Sy cap in the background?

Yes and yes! good eyes on the leng sy. If you go back far enough, it used to be the centerpiece of my tank. I may have that in historical fts in the first post  

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Yes and yes! good eyes on the leng sy. If you go back far enough, it used to be the centerpiece of my tank. I may have that in historical fts in the first post  

Very cool, another underrated old school SPS.  I read an article on Reef Builders about the Leng Sy cap and they believe elevated mag (1400+ ppm) helps bring out the bright growth rim color. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
15 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Very cool, another underrated old school SPS.  I read an article on Reef Builders about the Leng Sy cap and they believe elevated mag (1400+ ppm) helps bring out the bright growth rim color. 

Here’s back in its heyday

Right now it’s just resting and waiting for when I have a tank with more room to grow more monti’s again. 😂

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Here’s back in its heyday

Right now it’s just resting and waiting for when I have a tank with more room to grow more monti’s again. 😂

That looked/looks really good.  Definitely have to have space for caps.  I hear the Reefer XL425 has plenty of space😄

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

That looked/looks really good.  Definitely have to have space for caps.  I hear the Reefer XL425 has plenty of space😄

Thats to big of a tank for the mitten kitten.................

Some dy maybe he will graduate......................

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, spectra said:

Thats to big of a tank for the mitten kitten.................

😉

source (2).gif

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
21 hours ago, spectra said:

baby step, first we'll first graduate to a small sump system.  😄 but we'll have to do it in style. 😉

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

A colorful donut 🍩 🤔

D7A5EAFF-88BB-406B-980E-AFE2D8E04E93.thumb.jpeg.89a91fdfa838994011d50caa47a4abe3.jpeg

apple donut...............:unsure: I see a lot of green.........

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

All the orange background doesn’t count?  

Orange..............and you say I take bad pics...............:lol: looks brown to me.................

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

A colorful donut 🍩 🤔

D7A5EAFF-88BB-406B-980E-AFE2D8E04E93.thumb.jpeg.89a91fdfa838994011d50caa47a4abe3.jpeg

Do you have a list of all your livestock?  I went back to page 1 but didn't see anything.  Just curious what corals are in the tank now.

I'm assuming that's a sunset monti encrusted on the bottom glass?  I made the mistake of putting mine on a rock when I first started the tank....so now I have to keep it contained with kalk paste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Do you have a list of all your livestock?  I went back to page 1 but didn't see anything.  Just curious what corals are in the tank now.

I'm assuming that's a sunset monti encrusted on the bottom glass?  I made the mistake of putting mine on a rock when I first started the tank....so now I have to keep it contained with kalk paste.

We all make that mistake once maybe twice........

I had a pokerstar do that.......it didn't last once the alk hit 13 in  the tank.......

• Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

We all make that mistake once maybe twice........

I had a pokerstar do that.......it didn't last once the alk hit 13 in  the tank.......

Wait, you aren't supposed to have montis on the rocks? Of course the ones I have currently on the rocks aren't doing much of anything but existing except for the rainbow. It's put on crazy obvious growth, but I did graft it to a rock.......... 😳

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

No, I don't have a list tallied anywhere. here we go:

one blue maxima, looking for more.

acros - I have probably around 20-25 varieties of acros (it might look like more in FTS because I have placed duplicates around the tank for some of them).  Many of them don't have trade names either, so I never documented them, or rarely did.  most of the named ones got documented back in April photos.  except red planet, it never looked right in my photos. 

other SPS - leng sy, nauti spiral, mystic sunset (back wall), sunset (tank floor), forest fire digi, yellow branching porites, and ORA bird of paradise

LPS - 4 acan varieties, one gold-ish-but-mostly-brown cristata, one aussie gold, and a red goni

zoas - scrambled eggs, rastas, fruit loop, two versions of utter chaos, blondies/Blue-eyed blonde, and sunny Ds

rics - well, they're what they are 😄 no names.

NPS - two gorgs, black sun corals, orange sun 

This livestock list is a good idea for the next tank - I plan to get some decent photos of everything I have before the transfer/re-plant,  I haven't quite decided yet on that either on how this tank change will go down either. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
32 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Wait, you aren't supposed to have montis on the rocks? Of course the ones I have currently on the rocks aren't doing much of anything but existing except for the rainbow. It's put on crazy obvious growth, but I did graft it to a rock.......... 😳

montis are bad neighbors.  they take over rocks/tank with their growth, when they're happy.  but placed in the right spot, they make a nice focal point.   here are some really nice examples of how big - and beautiful - they get.  not a long thread, you can skim thru it quickly for some inspirations/eye candy 🙂 

• Like 4
mitten_reef

‘Twas a good night from some new photos.  I recently placed an extra large branch to the left of the main colony, now I just needs the two to merge and keep growing. 

8E83A31A-0278-4AE2-8DD3-44A4A2FE38EB.thumb.jpeg.20d4fc8329440dedd80f7c238815b695.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
Nano sapiens
On 5/27/2020 at 9:40 PM, mitten_reef said:

montis are bad neighbors.  they take over rocks/tank with their growth, when they're happy.  but placed in the right spot, they make a nice focal point.   here are some really nice examples of how big - and beautiful - they get.  not a long thread, you can skim thru it quickly for some inspirations/eye candy 🙂 

Just need a Pavona or two to keep them in line (of course, then you have to deal with the spreading Pavona...it never ends!)  :)

I noticed the 'bubbles' in the photo above.  I had the same thing happen to my Sunset Monti.  Thought it might be light related, but only a certain part was effected while other parts in the same lighting area were normal.  Still don't know what causes that...

• Like 1
mitten_reef
9 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Just need a Pavona or two to keep them in line (of course, then you have to deal with the spreading Pavona...it never ends!)  🙂

I noticed the 'bubbles' in the photo above.  I had the same thing happen to my Sunset Monti.  Thought it might be light related, but only a certain part was effected while other parts in the same lighting area were normal.  Still don't know what causes that...

that was your photo actually (on pg 2 of that thread).  I do recall when you mentioned the skin bubbling up on it.  

Nano sapiens
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

that was your photo actually (on pg 2 of that thread).  I do recall when you mentioned the skin bubbling up on it.  

LOL, thought it looked a bit familiar 😃 

Guess that's what happens when you've been running reef tanks too long and have taken too many photos 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
mitten_reef

Today’s edition of zoas

A51C8A98-0414-4B8F-BDA3-8998DF5E114E.thumb.jpeg.f3c955af5e30fa55314ab9fddddf3e0c.jpeg

Topdown of the garden - sadly the rastas couldn’t keep up with the rest and unable to spread as much as I’d like it to. I have more rastas as standalone mini colony, it was behind a rock so forgot to get a picture of it. 

A5B3F037-BE92-4022-BD9B-A0618109708F.thumb.jpeg.d41890a808fc83c4311b312753bca0f5.jpeg

New utter chaos

8E0152C5-86ED-4D4E-97EE-1C5DB416E90E.thumb.jpeg.8ee3c9926e9587074029b0e362e7392f.jpeg

Old utter chaos

85D42A37-541D-4C38-914B-BDC1865675C5.thumb.jpeg.d48cea86358e36d7f0c9696c9ee09b5c.jpeg

SunnyD 

B0E1F2C1-E906-430F-8282-69EC7E80F72F.thumb.jpeg.766a677f86d6988e649227e2b184c85a.jpeg

• Like 9