Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

As usual your tank looks absolutely amazing... except for the contest frag, which much like meringue looks like it’s about to be whipped.... 

That’s awful. If that’s all I got, this is going to be a rough 6 months....

• Haha 3
mitten_reef

F the missing doses, I just dropped my lights into the tank ???

one of the orbit IC AND the nanobox quad just fell. In what felt like minutes in my brain, both lights remained on when I got them both out and pulled the plugs. 

@DaveFason email incoming. 

On a positive note, no sparks & no zap, guessing the tank should be fine. 

FML

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

I've dropped my Orbit Marine into the tank 2 or 3 times.  It is well sealed and was completely undamaged.  Hope everything turns our safely.

mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, holy carp said:

I've dropped my Orbit Marine into the tank 2 or 3 times.  It is well sealed and was completely undamaged.  Hope everything turns our safely.

The orbit light started flickering as I got around to unplugg it. It got filled up between the splash guard and the main light strip.  But yeah, it look otherwise to be heavily sealed with rubbery compound. I hope it comes back ok once dried. 

As for my quad, it didn’t show any sign of electrical damage yet when I unplugged.  The solders seemed to have been badly oxidized on threes of the four arrays. Over half of the fixture was submerged!! 

Oh yeah, in the haze of panic, I just reached in to grab everything out, without cutting power - totally stupid in hindsight. The blue tort suffered minor impact damage on a couple tips. 

• Wow 2

Yikes! :blink:

I think there's a reasonable hope the the corals and fish didn't get shocked since LED's use lower voltage - as shown when you reached in and didn't feel anything. But wow, that's super scary, and potentially expensive if the lights can't be dried out without causing circuit damage. Good luck!

Btw, how did it happen?

HarryPotter

I would immediately take part the fixture. Pucks out, fans out, etc. Dry everything, clean off everything with fresh water before further damage is caused via oxidation. 

The gooseneck mounting-nuts (within the fixture body and the tank-mount) will rust, but the rest was okay with my NB refugium light. 

mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yikes! :blink:

I think there's a reasonable hope the the corals and fish didn't get shocked since LED's use lower voltage - as shown when you reached in and didn't feel anything. But wow, that's super scary, and potentially expensive if the lights can't be dried out without causing circuit damage. Good luck!

Btw, how did it happen?

26055128468_0d007ee415_b.jpg

I have the quad resting on two orbit lights. One of them slipped off the tank rim, I can’t even remember what I was trying to do with the tank that caused it. 

Man, I was feeling sooo good that I fulfilled the reefer’s codes by giving/trading frags with another NR member, just an hour or so before my clumsiness kicked in. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I would immediately take part the fixture. Pucks out, fans out, etc. Dry everything, clean off everything with fresh water before further damage is caused via oxidation. 

The gooseneck mounting-nuts (within the fixture body and the tank-mount) will rust, but the rest was okay with my NB refugium light. 

I can access the pucks by removing the splash shield and clean the arrays.  But removing the arrays are another story, that’d mean I have to disconnect all wiring, no?  I got the old body quad, heatsink inside housing tube. Pucks are not mounted directly on body like the current gen ?

HarryPotter

The more you can clean off the better, salt is real nasty to solder. I can 3D print you a more sturdy tank mount for the orbits if you need. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
20 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

The more you can clean off the better, salt is real nasty to solder. I can 3D print you a more sturdy tank mount for the orbits if you need. 

Thanks Harry!  

I have been debating how to mount all three fixtures all together. Just couldn’t come up with any decent off-the-shelf solution yet. Didn’t think Murphy’s law was gonna catch up with my makeshift plan. I might take you up on the 3d print offer. 

• Like 1

Super bummer about the lighting falling into the tank...  Hope that turns out well - not only are lights expensive but they are kinda important too.  Do you have some sort of backup plan?

Not that I expect anything like that to happen but I keep an old T5 fixture around just in case something happens to my main lights (DIY LED so I'm comfortable making any repair - but the timing of parts could make things interesting!).

• Like 1
mitten_reef
9 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Super bummer about the lighting falling into the tank...  Hope that turns out well - not only are lights expensive but they are kinda important too.  Do you have some sort of backup plan?

Not that I expect anything like that to happen but I keep an old T5 fixture around just in case something happens to my main lights (DIY LED so I'm comfortable making any repair - but the timing of parts could make things interesting!).

thanks man, I got a couple of all-blue LED bars if i really need the extra light.  I bought them way back when I had the Nuvo 16; so those bars are 24".   It also looks like the one Orbit IC should be fine for a day or two, while the wet one dries out.   I got some additional cleaning instructions from Dave, includes giving at least a couple days for NBR quad to dry out.   I'll have to see how everything comes out at the other end of this week.  

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Cranking emails out and you should have the response. 

Thanks for the quick response Dave. 

mitten_reef

Tested alk tonight.  The idea was to make sure I'm not overdosing the tank during the rest of the week when the NBR is being left off to dry.  Well, having missed 4 doses total (last dose was saturday morning); my alk is down to less than dKh 5.3.  I only used 0.35ml of Red sea alk reagent; their titration chart starts at 0.38ml.  I'm glad I tested, the corals probably didn't come to a screeching halt on growth today. I'll probably continue the same dosing regimen for the next day or two before re-testing.   I cranked the Orbit marine IC all the way up on blue (100%), but still keep relatively low on the white/red/green channels. 

Anything else I should think of while the tank is in the dark-ish week? 

mitten_reef
4 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

What happened with the lights? Everything still working? 

:ninja:

Actually, had not even turned it back on after drying out for a week.  Hopefully, turn it on later today, wish me luck.  fingerscrossed

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

This makes water change a bit more enjoyable. 

27507511948_fb2fb04971_b.jpg

Enough of that and the fish will be drunk too! Good stuff :)

And that's great news about the light!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1