Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Love me some Hopslam! Bell's Two Hearted Ale is what got me into IPAs. A blessing and a curse. IPAs are delicious but have rendered most other beers flavorless to my palate.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Love me some Hopslam! Bell's Two Hearted Ale is what got me into IPAs. A blessing and a curse. IPAs are delicious but have rendered most other beers flavorless to my palate.

Two hearted is a solid IPA, it’s my go-to when I can’t decide on anything else on tap around here. My first true IPA was 60-minute from Dogfish Head back when I lived out in the DMV area. And if you want something a bit different, from MI, with floral hops, try Short’s Humalupalicious. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Two hearted is a solid IPA, it’s my go-to when I can’t decide on anything else on tap around here. My first true IPA was 60-minute from Dogfish Head back when I lived out in the DMV area. And if you want something a bit different, from MI, with floral hops, try Short’s Humalupalicious. 

We just had lunch at Lost Dog Cafe (ever eat there when you lived in DMV?) and they had Hopslam on the draft list! Ordered it, and the waiter said they just ran out the other day, bummer!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

We just had lunch at Lost Dog Cafe (ever eat there when you lived in DMV?) and they had Hopslam on the draft list! Ordered it, and the waiter said they just ran out the other day, bummer!

Hopslam runs out crazy fast. Whenever I see it on the shelf I stock up. Last season I only got one six pack before they sold out at the store near me.

• Wow 1
On 1/6/2018 at 12:32 AM, micoastreefing said:

Thanks @teenyreef  Aww, I think I saw that he jumped recently, right?  Sorry for your lost.  So far this one had not been the nicest to the snails, saw him pecking at them all evening so I decided that I had to feed the fish some food before it injures all my snails.  How was yours, behavior-wise?  I thought yellow wrasse is supposed to be timid and not wrasse-hole like six-line's. 

As far as the cap, this is what I have http://cultivatedreef.com/product/item-151/  I'm hoping that it is the true legend.  The stock/colony image from CR is pretty flat plating, I have mine directly under one of the LED array for quite some times now, so it's been growing quite upward.    

Sorry I missed this! Yes, mine jumped somehow while the cover was off. He was a model citizen, I never saw him bother any other fish or snails or corals. He spent almost all his time cruising around the water in the upper 25% of the tank, so he really added a lot of color and movement to the tank.

I'd probably get another one if there just happens to be one at the lfs some time. Hopefully I'll get lucky again :)

• Like 1
On 2/3/2018 at 1:43 PM, samnaz said:

Hopslam runs out crazy fast. Whenever I see it on the shelf I stock up. Last season I only got one six pack before they sold out at the store near me.

I found some Hopslam before the Super Bowl.  Those beers are stupidly expensive, set me back $40 for a couple of 6-packs. Figured it was once a year purchase. 

On 2/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, TheBig053 said:

I have been to lost dog cafe, either the one near Falls church (old office) or Alexandria, can’t remember which. Good food and good beer is how the name stayed with me. ?

Back to corals, this little guy is looking extremely fuzzy this morning. Another one of the acros that has been improving the last month or so. 

39217426655_e29213582b_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yellow wrasse is not looking too well.  It also has been buried under the sand earlier every day.  I’d hate to lose another fish.  ?

Also been feeding the corals fairly heavily, I seem to be getting a population explosion of spinoid worms, those little two-tentacle ones, all over my rocks. Since they’re filter feeders, would it be ok to stop feeding corals particle food, like reef roid, for a while?  I will still supplement the tank with aquavitro fuel for vitamins and macronutrients. 

On 2/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, Travis said:

How have the orbits been treating you? :)

They’ve done really well as my NBR quad mounting rack, haha.

As far as being the supplemental light, I’m still in acclimating period. The two orbit ic are only on 20%blue & 4%white at mid day, barely register any extra brightness. I did get the programming figured out tho. And probably bump the blue 5-10% every couple weeks. 

Good morning from the reef, Wally and the nem are happy this morning. 

39441639775_a68c63fa4b_b.jpg

On another not so good morning news: R.I.P. Banana, the yellow wrasse. After about a week in rapid decline, there were two large nassarius snails swarming over his body this morning. 

The last 3 fish I had added within the last year all ended up dead. Me = fish serial killer, ???? 

• Sad 1

Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is first hand, I lost another sexy shrimp last week. The hardest part is not knowing why, to be able to prevent future losses. 

• 3 weeks later...
mitten_reef

Everything has been growing insane since I started dosing mornings and nights. I ran out of my first pair of 1-L bottles of Reef Fusion 1 & 2 today. And it looks like we’re gonna be going thru them even faster in the future.  I was gonna switch to the Red Sea stuff just to try it out, but LFS didn’t have any in stock today.  Figured reef fusion worked and they’re cheap (major plus), I’d stick with them for another round. 

iPhone fts; no idea why it has this steely blue, instagram look to it - I kinda like it. 

39936048474_d52641a4ff_b.jpg

• Like 6

Tank is looking outrageously juicy! Speaking out which, is it time for Oberon yet? It's been in the 80's for like 2 weeks here. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

22 hours ago, samnaz said:

lookin good!

Thanks! Did you get anything at the AA frag swap?  Had to stay home and paint the kitchen, couldn’t make it yet again. 

12 hours ago, DaveFason said:

So good. Keep it up! 

Working at it. Getting to the point of trying-not-to-screw-it-all-up mindset. 

9 hours ago, Travis said:

Looking good!

The orbit marine ic’s from you started to show some impacts on growth, I think. I’m ramped up to about 40% on blue now, and it begins to be noticeably create an even blanket of light. I have to say though, I can’t imagine them as primary light source. They seem to lack the punch even in my shallow tank. For your tank they may just be visual light at that tank height/depth. 

10 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Tank is looking outrageously juicy! Speaking out which, is it time for Oberon yet? It's been in the 80's for like 2 weeks here. 

I’ll remember to tag you as soon as I see them hitting the shelf, so you can go look for them down there. 

Who says you can’t do some SPS reefing on the tank floor. Blue digi and BoP are just hanging out on the sand bed. You can also see the remains of my goniopora in the middle. Not really sure what happened, but I think my tank got too clean for it. Along with the alk swing a while back, it never recovered.  

40664368011_c68dda270a_b.jpg40664368081_75c4b57dc9_b.jpg

BTA seems to enjoy it’s partial shade, but it’s been rubbing (pretty much destroying) my sunset monti for quite some time now, not sure how much longer the sunset will last. Just need a little time to dig in and cut out some frags before it’s all gone.

25793986427_9d9400557e_b.jpg

mitten_reef

Posted this on the Coral Fight Club thread the other day. Got a clearer pic this morning.

Blue digi vs Big Red = Big Red won multiple rounds, it went up and over many digi branches. With the tallest digi branch, just completely wrapped itself AROUND the digi.

Blue digi vs orange lepto = Lepto was winning, until the BTA arrived on its shore > then BTA won

Sunset was making its way toward blue digi, but got halted in the track by, you know it, BTA. 

Up top, blue acro vs tequila sunrise monti = monti is winning and encroaching fast, but the acro continues to extend its branches outward - trying to run away.

most days BTA will inflate high enough to rub on the underside of tequila sunrise (see all the white edges) > BTA wins again.

somewhere between the encrusted base of blue digi and the sunset, there used to be a patch of encrusted acro base, that acro lost that battle a long while ago before BTA arrived. 

whew, too many words, but really, I just love how bubbly the BTA is this morning, and Wally the clown is in almost perfect position. 

26802168188_e3ae1b2e32_b.jpg

• Like 3
mitten_reef

I did a water change for the first time in probably 2 weeks. The tank had been growing at an incredible pace with dosing 2-part twice daily, morning and evening. Took the opportunity to rescue the sunset monti from behind BTA. Clipped the orange Lepto from the tip of that rock. And cut off a sizable chunk of the tequila sunrise. Now the whole area looks a little strange. It doesn’t help that the BTA is hiding under the rock at the moment.   

39991599204_0a4e74754c_b.jpg

Also hit somewhat of a personal milestone with the tank, blue tort on the other side of the tank breached the water during wc! omgomgomg

• Like 4
mitten_reef

Acro competition coral arrives tomorrow and some extra zoas.  :happydance:

@HarryPotter and @DaveFason, r u guys getting in on the competition, your names were on the list.

On to figuring out where it might even fit into the scape. Really don’t want it sitting on the frag rack. But then again that might be easiest to document the photos. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
Just now, micoastreefing said:

Acro competition coral arrives tomorrow and some extra zoas.  :happydance:

@HarryPotter and @DaveFason, r u guys getting in on the competition, your names were on the list.

On to figuring out where it might even fit into the scape. Really don’t want it sitting on the frag rack. But then again that might be easiest to document the photos. 

Ahh I don’t think so unfortunately, for me it’s too expensive/inefficient to ship one coral. I will definitly be keeping up with the progress though   

mitten_reef
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Ahh I don’t think so unfortunately, for me it’s too expensive/inefficient to ship one coral. I will definitly be keeping up with the progress though   

I get it, I was really on the fence when it was first announced. Then I added in a 3-pack of frags, then my price went down to $30 per frag shipped. I really can’t beat that with LFS prices around here for the stuff that I'm getting. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I get it, I was really on the fence when it was first announced. Then I added in a 3-pack of frags, then my price went down to $30 per frag shipped. I really can’t beat that with LFS prices around here for the stuff that I'm getting. 

Yeah they have awesome stuff. At some point I will definitely make an order, but not the month before RAP :D

• Like 1