Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Good start on the program. With the addition of ~ a Duo of all blue light extra your corals will be wondering what happened! 

-Dave

mitten_reef
9 hours ago, tanacharison said:

New light fixture is amazing. Weekends over... we need updates.

ok ok.

Here's the contest frag.  Mystic sunset is taking over the frag rack...

43332889041_284110036a_b.jpg

Glad to see this piece still carries good potential after being under darkness for so long

43332896701_f828c65277_b.jpg

This one seems to like the light a bit more dimmed and more blue - does it look like it has a funky green streak running up the middle? 

29462951858_29f8852ab4_b.jpg

It's been a long while since my sunset is this bright

29462960328_81891d226e_b.jpg

The color on this SSC (pink tips) is UNREAL - yes it really looks like that - can't wait for it to grow! 

41523398990_48fcfa090b_b.jpg

uh-oh, looks like we got one beam strip only half working 😞 @DaveFason

41523401140_affe892ba4_b.jpg

The unknown colony - nice coloration still.

28464051097_5f6a430893_b.jpg

28464054877_b84f47044d_b.jpg

Soon to be an awesome compilation of zoas...one day.

42429282475_9ee357fb81_b.jpg

A bunch of acan's (ok, micromussa) - can see this first one's glowing ring in the top-down pic above.  Any idea if it will re-colonize the algae-covered area on its own?  I probably won't be buying any more of these guys - unless some serious 🔥 is available at LFS.  

42615622134_e019d4afd4_b.jpg

42615625614_6ce602f82c_b.jpg

42615628524_7d91539eec_b.jpg

Lastly, the green slimer is still waging its war, now reaching out to the blue stag behind it too!

42429306185_0b39600555_b.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

With all the hype about a chaeto reactor, I wanted to share my little chaeto snail 🐌, eating algae and growing chaeto at the same time!

I actually just ordered an InTank refugium basket and grow light for my 30l.  Guess my snails aren't as good as yours 🙂

• Like 2
mitten_reef

LFS caught on that I'm an acro addict.  They just got a bunch in on a direct order from ORA per the girl working there.  SO TEMPTED, and not to mention that they're not very good with SPS, so I'm feeling very compelled to rescue those beauties.  The ones I can tell from looking so far are, red planet, Borealis, and maybe Joe's the coral, hawkins echinata, and there are a few more.   I'm gonna request to see their invoice tho; having a direct frags from ORA in the tank would be neat - plus potential re-sale value (if there's any).

Polarcollision
9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

LFS caught on that I'm an acro addict.  They just got a bunch in on a direct order from ORA per the girl working there.  SO TEMPTED, and not to mention that they're not very good with SPS, so I'm feeling very compelled to rescue those beauties.  The ones I can tell from looking so far are, red planet, Borealis, and maybe Joe's the coral, hawkins echinata, and there are a few more.   I'm gonna request to see their invoice tho; having a direct frags from ORA in the tank would be neat - plus potential re-sale value (if there's any).

All my ORA frags came on that awful black plastic-ey golf tee plug. It's burned into memory because even the dremel had a hard time cutting them.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
46 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

All my ORA frags came on that awful black plastic-ey golf tee plug. It's burned into memory because even the dremel had a hard time cutting them.

Awesome, then these are def ORA, those frag plugs are unmistakable. 

Baby BTA is on a walk-about , all the sudden I have 3 BTAs with very limited real estate for them in the tank - ?‍♂️

42553852045_b35969c6e8_b.jpg

• Like 2
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

send me one...hahahah

I got a couple small shipping boxes laying around (~7x8x9 outside).  The nem probably can't survive 2-day USPS, eh?  I wonder what overnight would be to Chicago, PM me your zip code, or you can check shipping from my zip 49331 (USPS) or 49506 (UPS) or I can drop off at GRR airport FedEx.   How's the 350 doing these days?  

On 7/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, DaveFason said:

Just emailed you back! 

Corals look incredible. The SSC will be a stunner. 

-D

Thanks Dave.  Still a work-in-progress with photos, need to readjust my photo-mode and my white-balance with all the extra blue's on the new light.  

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Couldn’t resist the urge. Got myself the ORA hawkins blue echinata. LFS ordered direct from ORA. Traded in one BTA and a couple of baby ric’s to help offset their list price. 

43552752131_9b3a1d769a_b.jpg

ramping up the light, here’s mid-day, 4 hours:

42834888044_0a79ef043f_b.jpg

Planning on doing two 5% bumps this week, corals show nice colors but had yet to show any noticeable growth with the “acclimating” mode. Need my contest frag to start popping out branches like @Cannedfish‘s. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Planning on doing two 5% bumps this week, corals show nice colors but had yet to show any noticeable growth with the “acclimating” mode. Need my contest frag to start popping out branches like @Cannedfish‘s. 

I'm doing the same.  Been bumping most channel's one percent each morning.  I still have the stock mesh on my lid , so pretty sure its blocking a significant amount of the light's output.  

• Like 1
On 7/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, micoastreefing said:

I got a couple small shipping boxes laying around (~7x8x9 outside).  The nem probably can't survive 2-day USPS, eh?  I wonder what overnight would be to Chicago, PM me your zip code, or you can check shipping from my zip 49331 (USPS) or 49506 (UPS) or I can drop off at GRR airport FedEx.   How's the 350 doing these days?  

haha, i was just kidding.  my 350 is a disaster, keeps getting worst, so BTA won't survive in it.  lost more corals, now even my LPS are dying.  

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, specore said:

Don't think I've ever seen one like that.  Very nice

Thanks man.  It’s the same monti as way up above of this page. This one is just more blue from iPhone. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks man.  It’s the same monti as way up above of this page. This one is just more blue from iPhone. 

Curious, are your polyps lighter or darker blue right now? 

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Curious, are your polyps lighter or darker blue right now? 

It's richer blue right now than, say, back in March.  I'm attributing that to a bit less light intensity, I think it looks pretty cool in the recent shots of your tank too.   The sucky part is that it sits right next to Leng Sy cap, and I wanna blast that cap with more light - 🤔.

Here's a week or so ago

29462951858_29f8852ab4_b.jpg

End of March

40168923625_e9a22723ab_b.jpg

• Like 4
mitten_reef

The little ugly duckling that is turning into a swan. end-of-day $10-sale at the Pacific East Aquaculture frag swap table over two years ago?  it hasn't grown much, but mine oh mine, colors couldn't be more on fire than it is now.

43616853421_897df5fc7d_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

The little ugly duckling that is turning into a swan. end-of-day $10-sale at the Pacific East Aquaculture frag swap table over two years ago?  it hasn't grown much, but mine oh mine, colors couldn't be more on fire than it is now.

43616853421_897df5fc7d_b.jpg

Red polyps, blue green based?! It’s like a traverse city cherry bomb!

mitten_reef

FML, one step forward, 3 steps back 😖

good bye BoP, hopefully some frags of you survives  

43703636512_d70690c00c_b.jpg

What you once were:

P3250747

Welp, I’m starting to solve my tank real estate issue - just RTN the big colonies every couple of months, and soon I’ll have an empty tank to start from scratch. Yay! 

• Sad 2