SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Traded in some frags yesterday. Cleared just enough space to squeeze in this new scape piece that I was working on over the holidays. 

Actual coral placement - TBD. 

This was the mock-up, without the frag rack blocking the view. 

32648456968_694ddb07f5_b.jpg

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

do you trade to a LFS? 

Yup, quickest way for me to offload stuff.  Plus this guy gives me cash 💰. I’m happy with what he’s given me in price so far. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Yup, quickest way for me to offload stuff.  Plus this guy gives me cash 💰. I’m happy with what he’s given me in price so far. 

I need this... all my LFS are closing. 

• Sad 2
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

i wish my LFS will give me cash too...sigh.  

• Sad 1
20 hours ago, tanacharison said:

I need this... all my LFS are closing. 

That really sucks, man. I think all the places around here keeps busy with tank service for doctor offices and such. I don’t see them move volumes. This guy travels a bit for frag swaps, so I’m guessing he moves some inventory through that. 

20 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

i wish my LFS will give me cash too...sigh.  

Yeah, he’s the only one I’ve dealt with that offers cash. But I also give him really good deals 😂, cuz I rather he continues taking stuff I don’t have room for. 

On another note, tank has been doing pretty well re: Alk stability. I’ve been testing at least once a week, especially the day after waterchange. It’s been staying in the range of 7.5 - 8.0 dKh since the doser came online. Last night measured at 7.6.

SPS are growing steadily again. Red Planet is showing major color shift from brown to green and red after raising the light intensity. Oregon tort is starting to show a side branch coming off. Floyd and SSC (they’re wild frags but I just need something to reference them by) still have a lot to catch up on, but at least they show PE and growth again. 

This week, the light peaks midday at 60% across all channels except white (6%, i.e. 10% of other channels), and stay at peak for 2.5 hours. I would like to eventually get to 70% for 3.5-4 hours. 

Pics another time. 

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

gold torch is awesome, just think of it as long term investment.  once it starts splitting, it's $$$$

Mine is not the solid gold variety - can’t afford that 😂.  

Have you been to Tank It Easy near the Cubs stadium? That’s the frag booth whom I got my torch from $40/head. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Have you been to Tank It Easy near the Cubs stadium? That’s the frag booth whom I got my torch from $40/head. 

yea, the store is small but very well taken care of.  I was just there 2 weeks ago.  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Agreed re Aussie gold torch... Crazy expensive these days. When I used to work at perfect corals, 4-6 head colonies were $70. Now people want $150 a head! 

• Like 1

Did you see Blue Line Coral up there too?  I was at the store this weekend and traded in $300 worth of corals =P.  They wanted me to trade it in before Thursday so they can bring it to the swap but I didn't get a chance to go till Saturday.  Would be funny if I did and you ended up buying my corals for twice the price I traded in for.  Hahah.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Did you see Blue Line Coral up there too?  I was at the store this weekend and traded in $300 worth of corals =P.  They wanted me to trade it in before Thursday so they can bring it to the swap but I didn't get a chance to go till Saturday.  Would be funny if I did and you ended up buying my corals for twice the price I traded in for.  Hahah.

yup, I saw Blue Line Coral, they had some nice stuff.  I was on a mission to replace my red dragon and find a gold torch. so if I didn't see either of those I kinda skimmed thru the tables. 

So there was this one guy, his table had no crowd whatsoever, and he had most neutrally lit frag tank in the entire place.  But every single piece he was selling were top notch even under whiter light.  His name is Tim Herman goes by Therman - looks like a fairly well-known, well-respected guy on R2R.  Wish I know the names of these "gurus" a little more, I had full opportunity to have one-on-one conversation with this guy.  But all I could see were a bunch of beautiful SC orange passion frags and other pieces that made me wish I had unlimited budget.  If I had 500 to blow on acros today, they'd have all been from this guy.  those of you who're on R2R, can you link me to his build thread there, curious to see his tank?

Edit: Found this, holy moly, I felt missed out on an opportunity big time. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-whole-lot-of-sps-bc-cc-jf-scop-homewrecker.452121/

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

yup, I saw Blue Line Coral, they had some nice stuff.  I was on a mission to replace my red dragon and find a gold torch. so if I didn't see either of those I kinda skimmed thru the tables. 

So there was this one guy, his table had no crowd whatsoever, and he had most neutrally lit frag tank in the entire place.  But every single piece he was selling were top notch even under whiter light.  His name is Tim Herman goes by Therman - looks like a fairly well-known, well-respected guy on R2R.  Wish I know the names of these "gurus" a little more, I had full opportunity to have one-on-one conversation with this guy.  But all I could see were a bunch of beautiful SC orange passion frags and other pieces that made me wish I had unlimited budget.  If I had 500 to blow on acros today, they'd have all been from this guy.  those of you who're on R2R, can you link me to his build thread there, curious to see his tank?

Edit: Found this, holy moly, I felt missed out on an opportunity big time. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-whole-lot-of-sps-bc-cc-jf-scop-homewrecker.452121/

Just followed that link - holy crap! Was he selling at those prices or were they discounted for the show?

Nice pickup on the JF fire dragon. It looks like a cross between a fox fire and a red dragon.

48 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Just followed that link - holy crap! Was he selling at those prices or were they discounted for the show?

Nice pickup on the JF fire dragon. It looks like a cross between a fox fire and a red dragon.

I only recall SC OP starting around $125? But the piece was a nice 1-1.5”. Idk what frags are supposed to be priced at at swaps like this. But even if comparable to online frag price, this would have been triple or quadruple the online advertised frag size. 

Thanks @teenyreef.  I think these fire dragon and Pac-Man are a relative species (a. fenneri) to the true red dragon (a. carduus), and not just a variant per se. he did say that the branches will be stockier and colony more dense than the true/classic red dragon.  I’m pretty stoked to have this nice contrast. 

10 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Looks great! Hope you're hanging in there. Sounds like your area is similar to the movie, " Day After Tomorrow " 😛

-Dave

Watch out for wolves!!

(also congrats on the pick-ups! The tank is looking good! I owe both you and @tanacharison some delicious brewdogs or maybe something harder...)

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Looks great! Hope you're hanging in there. Sounds like your area is similar to the movie, " Day After Tomorrow " 😛

-Dave

Somewhere in the lawn, there are a foot-tall fire ring and a 4x8 raised bed garden. 

46876350092_8d4cc62412_b.jpg
20 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Watch out for wolves!!

(also congrats on the pick-ups! The tank is looking good! I owe both you and @tanacharison some delicious brewdogs or maybe something harder...)

Is that a wolf? Nah, just my dummy golden retriever.

46876349912_4a7814cd5d_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
On 1/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, HarryPotter said:

Agreed re Aussie gold torch... Crazy expensive these days. When I used to work at perfect corals, 4-6 head colonies were $70. Now people want $150 a head! 

Aussie price spikes have nothing on Indo price spikes...

On 1/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, micoastreefing said:

This week, the light peaks midday at 60% across all channels except white (6%, i.e. 10% of other channels), and stay at peak for 2.5 hours. I would like to eventually get to 70% for 3.5-4 hours. 

Just journaling:

All the sickly acros continue to look better for the last week and a half.  The ones that already looked good are growing at a visible rate.  Today, increased light peak period again by 0.5 to 3 hours.  The peak period also flanked by 30% morning (2.5 hour) and 25% evening (2.5 hour), with an hour ramp on each side.

The gold torch from frag swap is proving to be a disappointment thus far - it has two distinct heads on a Y-shape branch.  Might try to offer one head to LFS to recoup some $ back, keep the other head to grow out. 

• Like 2