SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

hmmm, looks like I'm going backward in my reefing skills, or am I going forward? Or aren't we all just running around in a circle, preventing tank's disaster-in-the-making? 🤣

Loss: Birdnest colony (have a decent growing frag now)

Loss: Red dragon colony

Loss: a few nice chunky pieces of no-name acros

Loss: for some reasons, a bunch of ricordeas disappeared, sigh

Growth: Leng Sy :haha:

Growth: Cali Tort - gotten quite big, reached the water surface. but had to frag it a month or so ago due to some base STN

Growth: mint green acro, neon tenuis, acans, zoas - all showed significant growth

Growth: the monster-sized nauti spiral monti got fragged multiple times - you'll notice that the plate just "rose" higher, cuz I kept breaking off the bottom-most tier

New major acquisition: centerpiece acro, milka stylo, Oregon Tort!!

1/2/2019

46512580802_92a818518a_b.jpg

The tank a year ago 1/6/2018

39499895022_eb2ef5ce5f_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 4

Yeah, monticaps definitely take over in a nano tank once they get going!

It seems like you're doing fine. There's always a coral or two that has issues and you don't want to upset the whole tank trying to fix one coral. And I've seen that happen with my ricordea florida where one or two just slowly wither away to nothing while all the rest are growing like crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

wow, great growth on those montis!  That's why I am getting rid of mine....hahah.  They grow too damn fast and shade everything.

I've been aggressively trimming most of mine, with the exception of the leng sy.

10 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Looking fabulous over here!!

thanks! how's your leng sy coming along?  

13 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah, monticaps definitely take over in a nano tank once they get going!

It seems like you're doing fine. There's always a coral or two that has issues and you don't want to upset the whole tank trying to fix one coral. And I've seen that happen with my ricordea florida where one or two just slowly wither away to nothing while all the rest are growing like crazy.

There was a brief time when the bird and acros caught up, and the monti looked to slow down significantly.

I'm a bit bummed about the rics, there were so many vivid orange ones that I'd lost after going thru some older pics. 😞   

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

The Leng Sy may need to be lowered. That thing will shade everything out soon! 

but, but, but it NEEDS MORE light!! :haha:

Really though, the highest rim near the center of the tank is the best looking part of that entire cup at the moment...

😂

yo @HarryPotter, anything you think will fill in my void in acros collection from your 350?  hint hint, no Millie's in here. 

• Like 2

Sorry you are having some struggles.  Seems like your tank should be right in the sweet spot...mature enough to be stable, yet not sold enough to suffer from "old tank syndrome", etc. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, specore said:

yet not sold enough to suffer from "old tank syndrome", etc. 

nope, it suffered from a little of lazy reefer syndrome, or a complacent reefer syndrome.  

btw, the struggles and losses were throughout the year, it's not too big a deal when looking back at it.  Doing the side-by-side comparison, it really puts the entire year in perspective.   

in the end, seeing the growth of the survivors definitely trumps any of the losses.  Plus, I should know what to do (or not to do) if I ever reacquired any of the lost pieces again.  

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Really though, the highest rim near the center of the tank is the best looking part of that entire cup at the moment...

😂

yo @HarryPotter, anything you think will fill in my void in acros collection from your 350?  hint hint, no Millie's in here. 

Whats yo budget? 😬

5 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

😂

oWMVd2a.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Polarcollision
On 1/7/2019 at 9:37 PM, micoastreefing said:

I've been aggressively trimming most of mine, with the exception of the leng sy.

thanks! how's your leng sy coming along?  

There was a brief time when the bird and acros caught up, and the monti looked to slow down significantly.

I'm a bit bummed about the rics, there were so many vivid orange ones that I'd lost after going thru some older pics. 😞   

Leng sy is working on shading out it’s competetors, though bubblegum monster is putting up a good fight. It’s mostly growing flat with nice frilled edges. A little detritus settled in the center so it’s pretty clear it needs more flow. Only thing is I can’t put it in line with the powerheads. So I guess that means I’ll be trimmming it back until/if there’s ever a tank upgrade.

• Like 1
skyscraper2290

Now that I finally learned you were my SS I realized I have never checked out your thread before and I realize I have been missing out! I love the comparison shots with a year between them. Looks like you have had much more success than any struggles! 

• Like 1
On 1/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Frag Factory said:

Tank looks fantastic and that growth is great!

On 1/9/2019 at 11:30 PM, skyscraper2290 said:

Now that I finally learned you were my SS I realized I have never checked out your thread before and I realize I have been missing out! I love the comparison shots with a year between them. Looks like you have had much more success than any struggles! 

Thank you both for stopping by, really appreciate the nice comments 😄.   

The next two weeks will be critical with regards to keeping the tank parameters stable, as I'm working on getting more corals around the end of the month.  The biggest swap of the year in Michigan is happening on the last weekend of Jan, coinciding with my b-day at the beginning of Feb.  Win-win :happydance:

• Like 3

Thats the lansing swap?  I have never been.

The FTS year-to-year are telling!  Good job on keeping the inhabitants happy and growing, its a real challenge aint it?

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

The FTS year-to-year are telling!  Good job on keeping the inhabitants happy and growing, its a real challenge aint it?

Thanks! 2018 was a very up-and-down year for me with the tank. it was at its peak probably back in March, then just the rollercoaster since then. Partly equipment, partly stability. 

Yup the Lansing swap.  I went maybe 2 years ago (?) it was pretty awesome.  barring anything unexpected, I'm planning to go again this year.  You should definitely try to check it out.     

On 1/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, --chris-- said:

If you’re anywhere near Lansing, go to the swap. It was aamazing last year. It was worth driving 3 hrs only to be there for the last 20 mins and even though it was hot and crowded, seeing all those corals made it totally worth it. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, samnaz said:

If you’re anywhere near Lansing, go to the swap. It was aamazing last year. It was worth driving 3 hrs only to be there for the last 20 mins and even though it was hot and crowded, seeing all those corals made it totally worth it. 

We are closing and moving on the 31st... Lansing swap is the weekend before. My wife won't be happy....

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Sparty said:

We are closing and moving on the 31st... Lansing swap is the weekend before. My wife won't be happy....

Just tell her it's your new-house present to yourself. oh, and offer to do some extra packing hours the week before 😄

And thanks for dropping by my journal, I have seen you around NR and been meaning to tag you - just trying to gather a few michigan NR folks to talk with each other more.  Also, I assume you're a State fan?  I'm an 03-04 State grad, Go Green! 

34 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Just tell her it's your new-house present to yourself. oh, and offer to do some extra packing hours the week before 😄

And thanks for dropping by my journal, I have seen you around NR and been meaning to tag you - just trying to gather a few michigan NR folks to talk with each other more.  Also, I assume you're a State fan?  I'm an 03-04 State grad, Go Green! 

It will take hours moving the tank alone.

3 closings on one day... gotta be out that day... gonna be crazy

A bit more old school State than you. 89-90 grad. Go White!

2 hours ago, Sparty said:

It will take hours moving the tank alone.

3 closings on one day... gotta be out that day... gonna be crazy

A bit more old school State than you. 89-90 grad. Go White!

<----- "mid" Michigan guy here

Go ducks!  Boooo!

Hello sparty 😉