Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

A Little Blue

Dosing pumps are hit and miss. Cheap ones aren’t that reliable. You might be better off with manual dosing in high flow area of your tank. PITA but safe. 

I dose about 5.5ml. So there really is no need to automate 2min process. 

As a side note, I wonder it this pump is any good?

A5B22FA3-151D-4C12-9E13-43581CD8F582.thumb.jpeg.fde8c6b5ee36d6c41f6a98717685580a.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

So just my luck...I didn’t want to jinx myself this morning before the new corals arrived. But the recovered red dragon is now half way dead and expecting it to be completely dead by tomorrow. 

Had another alk drop. Been dosing ~30 ml of Red Sea A & B daily. Welp, I guess some end up precipitated out in the return chamber. So the alk wasn’t as well-maintained as I thought. It measured around 5.7 last night, I added 15 ml and left.  Fast forward thru last night, the buildup of precipitation got so bad it “froze” the return pump. Found the tank with no return flow this morning, who knows how long it had stopped. 

So far the only coral affected is the red dragon. 😔 gonna have to invest in a BRS dosing pump or two, and dose in small quantities throughout the day. 

Or get rid of some SPS. 

So you are dumping the 2 part into the rear chamber then ?

NO NO................when I had a IM30 like yours it was always into the main chamber right in front of the MP10............you want that stuff going into flow.........

I have a DOS on my 100 and it dumps into the fuge but ther is a power head aimed right at the spot it goes into the fuge...........even at that I have had issues as the line came out of the holder and well............like you said issues with crustification..............

• Like 1
23 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Dosing pumps are hit and miss. Cheap ones aren’t that reliable. You might be better off with manual dosing in high flow area of your tank. PITA but safe. 

I dose about 5.5ml. So there really is no need to automate 2min process. 

As a side note, I wonder it this pump is any good?

A5B22FA3-151D-4C12-9E13-43581CD8F582.thumb.jpeg.fde8c6b5ee36d6c41f6a98717685580a.jpeg

That looks nice, any thoughts or reviews?

22 hours ago, --chris-- said:

Super bumming man! Has that happened before?   What luck...

What happened before? Low alk? Yes.  Stuck pump?  Probably once or twice, but not from precipitation, more like dirty and need cleaning. 

21 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

but you just got 3 new frags of SPS..... =P

Hahahaha, I thought my tank was on the rebound. 

21 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Really sorry to hear this! But if the red dragon kicks the bucket, give me a month and I’ll send you a frag. I owe you!!

Umm, well. Let’s see you fill that frag tank first. 

21 hours ago, spectra said:

NO NO................when I had a IM30 like yours it was always into the main chamber right in front of the MP10............you want that stuff going into flow.........

I have a DOS on my 100 and it dumps into the fuge but ther is a power head aimed right at the spot it goes into the fuge...........even at that I have had issues as the line came out of the holder and well............like you said issues with crustification..............

Yeah.  I started to do one part in the back chamber and the other in the front. 

1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

Yeah.  I started to do one part in the back chamber and the other in the front. 

Yeah dont do that..........dump them both in front of a power head or the return nozzle in the tank. Add one and wait a few then add that other.

My doser has a 5 min break between each when dosing .

• Like 1
On 11/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, spectra said:

I agree.  If manually dosing get it into the highest possible flow.  With dosing pumps there isn't that option, but I think the slow rate of flow from the pump otself helps keep it from precipitating.  Do have to clean the tube ends periodically though.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2018 at 11:48 PM, spectra said:

Yeah dont do that..........dump them both in front of a power head or the return nozzle in the tank. Add one and wait a few then add that other.

My doser has a 5 min break between each when dosing .

Thanks! Starting to do that now, until my brs dosing pump arrives. 

5 hours ago, --chris-- said:

How are those frags looking today?

Not so good 🤕, had to clip a nice-size razzleberry frag down to just 1/2 inch nubs to save it from RTN. 

4 hours ago, specore said:

I agree.  If manually dosing get it into the highest possible flow.  With dosing pumps there isn't that option, but I think the slow rate of flow from the pump otself helps keep it from precipitating.  Do have to clean the tube ends periodically though.

Thanks! Good to know about the tube ends! Definitely will keep an eye out for that.

I hate that my tank consumes so much alk. It’s a good problem to have, I guess, growth-wise. But it gets out of hands too quickly, when you just assume things are safe.  oh and, the red dragon is gone as of yesterday. Lost a green slimer frag today. The cali tort is showing a couple of peel-y spots on the underside...keeping an eye on this one, in case I need to clip a few frags.  some other acros are looking happier than ever, looking at you, neon green tenuis. 

8 hours ago, --chris-- said:

And monti's keep marching on?  

Yup, monti never quits. The polyps dissappeared for a couple of days. But they’re out again. 

Here’s the tenuis that just just kept on going. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

that looks like the highlighter acro i had before.  grows fast and super bright.  was the last acro to die so pretty hardy

Yup, I think it’s CR highlighter acro from my very first order with Holly.  

A Little Blue
On 11/2/2018 at 9:44 PM, micoastreefing said:

That looks nice, any thoughts or reviews?

Not that I know of, except some self promoting video from MACNA. 

• Like 1

Bye bye calitort colony, hello calitort frags. 

45831490471_1fb0925b4a_b.jpg45831489961_7f0dce9a34_b.jpg

once they healed, gonna post them up in local fb group or maybe LFS will take them. Crappy iPhone. The mac powerbrick died, so no more dslr photo for a while, or until I find a cheap replacement thru coworkers. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, --chris-- said:

Looks like charley is laughing.  

How much for the frags pictured above? I see the tort and a war coral and...?

He is a smiley one  

when r u heading toward GR next time? I can put together a few frags for you. Not all on the rack is for sale tho, that war coral is actually JOL lepto. If you just want a piece or two, it’s on the house. Send me a pm. 

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I came for the dog pic! I was not disappointed! I love goldens!! 😍

Thanks! Glad he didn’t disappoint. The only sad thing is he was a cute cuddly puppy for like 6 months. Now he just an 85-lbs puppy that doesn’t know his own size or strength for the next 1.5-2 years (until he’s 4, so they say). But he’s gonna be a GREAT dog. 😅 

Big dog here.  She is a rescue, about 115 lbs right now.  During our pre-bedtime walks I catch up on NR because all she wants to do is stand in one spot and smell the smells.

21BC76BF-FB48-4722-A81D-96AF8105140B.jpeg

• Haha 1