inTank Media Baskets

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

Just now, micoastreefing said:

Hehe, fair warning, it’s pretty dry and boring. Some half decent pics though, I might say. 

Better watch out..........RTF may liven it up.............

• Haha 2
Polarcollision

put a ruler on that leng sy for me. Looks like it is threatening to make those awesome pillars?? There wasnt enough light on mine to make it plate upwards so I broke off a piece to start over on the eft of my tank where there's tons more light and flow.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

put a ruler on that leng sy for me. Looks like it is threatening to make those awesome pillars?? There wasnt enough light on mine to make it plate upwards so I broke off a piece to start over on the eft of my tank where there's tons more light and flow.

It's about 6" across side-to-side, and 4" front to back.  the high side (right in the pic below) is less than 2 in from water line.   

There's one spot in the middle where the plate edge folded over that created a purple highlight creases.  Just below the blue crease in the center, there's this tiny 1/4" bump that I'm keeping an eye on whether or not it'll turn into blue tip. The right edge is almost right under one of the nanobox pucks, and showing all sorts of interesting surface growth activity.

we're totally nerding out about this monti... 😄 

46332577714_96acdf616a_b.jpg

• Like 6
On 2/24/2019 at 7:35 PM, Christopher Marks said:

😍

That Leng Sy monticap up there is absolutely stunning too, fingers crossed it makes a pillar, how neat.

Thanks CM!

on another news, have you ever felt like it’s been a while since you’ve done water change?  Today felt like that, it’s probably been 3 weeks or so. And the discarded water didn’t smell very good.  Usually my waste water doesn’t have much smell if any, so it must have been a while. 🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tested alk tonight, around 7 pm, 9.0 dKh.  Seems a little higher than in the past, but it's also right after a 2-min dose around 6pm.   Might cut the daily dose back down by a minute tomorrow, if it still tests out around 9.  

The gold torch is looking better. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

Looking good!  I love that last pic with the acan encrusted with Rastas.  Its a good problem you have there 🙂  

It's pure luck, the way it turned out 😄.  the acan was struggling, lost a few polyps in the center of the colony, the algae took over that area for a while, then the rastas just moved in after the algae disappeared.   You need to get that big tank up and running, I'll give you some stuff to get started 😛 . 

mitten_reef
5 hours ago, whaleking said:

Are you still using the same light fixture? I'm thinking about getting the aquatic life 24 or 36in fixture with two xr15 or two ai primes

I’m still using the Nanobox hybrid. And it’s been doing great, both growth and coloration. But my hybrid has no t5’s. It’s pucks and led strips, see a few posts up. 

I’ve seen the aquatic life hybrid with 2 XR15’s at the LFS. That looks like a really good option too. @WV Reefer has the exact set up on her 75 gallons. 

When it comes to lighting, it’s really about set it and forget it. Other than ramping up intensity as my lighting needs increase, I find that less messing with the color tuning and schedule will allow the corals to settle in get acclimated to the light program and adapt to it better. 

• Like 4

@micoastreefing - Well said. I recently had a customer reach out having coral issues. Besides the normal. To find out the person was adjusting spectrums almost every 4-5 days. Consistent spectrum and good spectrum are key. 

Thanks for the support! 

-D

• Like 3

@whaleking I currently run the Aquatic life as well. It does its job well enough, but I have several nits about it that prevent it from being great. 

That being said, if you already own LED fixtures, it's an easy way to get T5 supplementation. I would also highly recommend waiting for them to release their single cord, dimmable version (supposedly coming out soon). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

@whaleking I currently run the Aquatic life as well. It does its job well enough, but I have several nits about it that prevent it from being great. 

That being said, if you already own LED fixtures, it's an easy way to get T5 supplementation. I would also highly recommend waiting for them to release their single cord, dimmable version (supposedly coming out soon). 

So i dont actually have leds or t5 yet. So im tryn figure out what to get. What are the issues with it? Was thinking about getting the aquatic life and just running t5 till i have enough for both xr15. But since they are releasing the dimable version... Maybe ill do that in reverse

• Like 1

@whaleking 

• Build quality is ok, but not on par with ATI or Giesemann. I have the 80w version and it seems a little flimsy sometimes
  • T5 cords come out on opposite ends and the cords are rather short. I have been told this issue has been rectified. 
  • T5 holder clips and end caps. I prefer the turn style end caps and not the push caps. The bulbs are held by clips. Coming from early adoption, the clips were coated with a rubber/plastic that warped off and stuck to the bulbs. 

Are you seeking to have an acro heavy tank? I find hybrids are an optimal approach to acros, but not really necessary for softy/lps dominated tanks. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. 

Sorry @micoastreefing for hijacking thread. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
14 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

No worries at all, it’s nice to cross-learning with various people’s experience through their journal, rather a tunnel-visioned question-only thread. I’m glad you’re sharing your hybrid fixture experience here. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

@whaleking 

• Build quality is ok, but not on par with ATI or Giesemann. I have the 80w version and it seems a little flimsy sometimes
  • T5 cords come out on opposite ends and the cords are rather short. I have been told this issue has been rectified. 
  • T5 holder clips and end caps. I prefer the turn style end caps and not the push caps. The bulbs are held by clips. Coming from early adoption, the clips were coated with a rubber/plastic that warped off and stuck to the bulbs. 

Are you seeking to have an acro heavy tank? I find hybrids are an optimal approach to acros, but not really necessary for softy/lps dominated tanks. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. 

Yeah sorry about hijack lol. But i plan on doing a mix reef but and some sps at the top. Maybe 5 to 8 at the top. I guess ill go with the two xr15s will i wait for them to come out with the new fixture. Thanks for the help

• Like 1
mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Looks good but yes agree those pics suck :lol:

I hate taking pics they never turn out.........

It’s the iPhone, it’s useless with blue led. I tried to crank the white up just to compensate already. But hey, at least I’m posting some pics. 

5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Richard. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s his real name, 😂

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

It’s the iPhone, it’s useless with blue led. I tried to crank the white up just to compensate already. But hey, at least I’m posting some pics. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s his real name, 😂

Yes they do...............

and nope.........

• Haha 2