SaltCritters.com

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

what's wrong with torch?  didn't you get a chance to inspect it at the swap???

just boring color under my light setting. 😞  I only looked at it under their deep blue light, it never occurred to me to ask them to change the color of their lighting. I def won't do that again, frag swap noob over here, only my second trip.  The frag itself is healthy and fully expanded now.  I'll try to grab some pics next wk, won't have time this wknd. 

On 1/20/2019 at 4:03 PM, tanacharison said:

I need this... all my LFS are closing. 

Reef Gallery is reopening under a new owner, (Kevin L) he's a good guy.

• Thanks 1
On 1/31/2019 at 3:03 PM, ninjamyst said:

what's wrong with torch?  didn't you get a chance to inspect it at the swap???

Torch pics: under extreme blue

32081027867_a8000a92d4_b.jpg

More neutral light

33147207368_c4dd757a50_b.jpg

If you squint hard enough, you might see a couple of the tentacles glow a hint of gold. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

LOL did they paint it gold at the swap and the color came off?  if you are ever down by Chicago area, I will frag you a head of real gold torch =P.  

Actually, now that I think about it, my gold torch initially was not that gold.  Took almost 6 months for the gold color to intensify so this may still turn around for you!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

LOL did they paint it gold at the swap and the color came off?  if you are ever down by Chicago area, I will frag you a head of real gold torch =P.  

Actually, now that I think about it, my gold torch initially was not that gold.  Took almost 6 months for the gold color to intensify so this may still turn around for you!

Yes! And yes, that’s sorta a great news. R u talking about the gold torch in your evo?  Does that mean they like high light?  I’m hiding it from too much direct flow under the Montis right now. 

5 hours ago, DaveFason said:

That is a perfect angle of your tank. Loving it!

Thanks Dave!

My red planet has not shown much of its signature red/green color combo until now, it only took 2+ years and a lot of up’s and down’s (many more downs than ups). iPhone pic, but colors are spot on  

IMG_3718

Journaling: the alk consumption is increasing. The alk was around 6.5 dKH last night, bumping up the doser’s daily run-time by 2 minutes. This gets me to 10 minutes over 5 doses.  

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
13 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Here's the rest of the February photoset

@Cultivated Reef's Leng Sy cap, things are looking very interesting around the edges.

46332577114_3c6bc55c59_b.jpg

46332577714_96acdf616a_b.jpg

46332580284_bc079cdfe4_b.jpg

A couple of front close-up's

46332578534_001aae727d_b.jpg

46332578144_df695da1dc_b.jpg

And some topdown highlights

47056334591_bbede44c14_b.jpg

46332578024_0f26ce7958_b.jpg

46332578894_d0d4dffb74_b.jpg

46332579794_3eb50df352_b.jpg

46332579454_4c2a6d73cb_b.jpg

46332577484_b1cd62718c_b.jpg

Those monti plates in the first pic are to die for. Exactly how big are they? I have a regular green and red cap, but they're slow growers. For some reason, they prefer encrusting on my LR and creep up the rock instead. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Those monti plates in the first pic are to die for. Exactly how big are they? I have a regular green and red cap, but they're slow growers. For some reason, they prefer encrusting on my LR and creep up the rock instead. 

That one is about 6" across the two sides, it's a single colony with two wings.  If you look up a few posts, you'll see how each side extends up from the center in the FTS.  I've always had pretty good experience with Monti. Give it time, steady supply of alk and ca, and it will take off.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks! 2019 has been a good year for the tank so far - hope to keep the good streak going 🤞🏼.

I wish you and your tank the best in 2019!

• Like 2
On 2/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, TheBig053 said:

Everything looks great man!

@TheBig053, where are you in NOVA?  I got a buddy out there that is looking into joining a local reef club.  I told him to start at WAMAS, but wondering if you know something more localized toward Leesburg/Tyson area?   

57 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

@TheBig053, where are you in NOVA?  I got a buddy out there that is looking into joining a local reef club.  I told him to start at WAMAS, but wondering if you know something more localized toward Leesburg/Tyson area?   

WAMAS serves the whole the DC Metro area. Only other one I know of somewhat local is CMAS but they are located in the Baltimore/MD Eastern shore.

WAMAS does a good job of splitting the four meeting locations between VA (usually Tysons/McLean area) and MD (Bethesda area). 

• Thanks 1