Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

16 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

here's a little PE on the cali tort frags last night when taking photos

45542782454_30481994ab_b.jpg

This makes me feel better. Thats about what I am seeing on my frag from you.  More green, but same PE.  That crazy green acro has super PE, and the monti's are also very extended. So things must be doing ok!

What camera do you use?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, --chris-- said:

This makes me feel better. Thats about what I am seeing on my frag from you.  More green, but same PE.  That crazy green acro has super PE, and the monti's are also very extended. So things must be doing ok!

What camera do you use?

Sounds like the frags are doing very well then. 

I have an old Olympus dSLR e-410/420 from 2007, haha. It has built-in white balance adjustment to help counter the blue. I also have a photo preset programmed - also a bit more white to blue ratio - on my nanobox light.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, --chris-- said:

What camera do you use?

Generally I feel ok as long as I can see any of the polyp.  Seeing no sign of PE at all is not good though. 

• Like 2

Yes, what kind is it?  I have a huge chunk and I thought it was regular monti cap but I realized it is way thicker and has nodules instead of the mostly smooth red cap I already have.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, specore said:

What kind of monti is that?  Looks great!

From color and pattern, it's either a nauti sprial or slow burn type, if I have to put a "trade name" on it.  I have no clue to its actual origin, it's from a bargain bin. 

1 hour ago, --chris-- said:

Yes, what kind is it?  I have a huge chunk and I thought it was regular monti cap but I realized it is way thicker and has nodules instead of the mostly smooth red cap I already have.  

It's not a M. Capricornis, aka monti cap, if that's what you're wondering.  The closest growth pattern is to M. Palawanensis.  and yup, you got a chunky one the other week. 

It is one of my first SPS acquired way, wayyyy back in this system earlier year (mid-2016, and 2 tank upgrades since).  Here's the earliest photo I have.

28389050972_2e2c00aa40_b.jpg

You can also see its progress and varieties of color changes it has shown in my tank over time , more easily here: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Looks like nauti spiral. 

Hey, thanks for dropping by. 

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Ouch.  You gonna keep it?  I thought pygmy is very safe...

It’ll take a lot of effort to get him out, sigh. 

I’ll be focusing on unloading some frags to LFS  this wknd. Maybe, I’ll try to get algae sheets or something similar from LFS so he can graze on that instead of zoas. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Hey, thanks for dropping by. 

It’ll take a lot of effort to get him out, sigh. 

I’ll be focusing on unloading some frags to LFS  this wknd. Maybe, I’ll try to get algae sheets or something similar from LFS so he can graze on that instead of zoas. 

You sure he's not just chasing pods, etc hidden in the zoas?  Just a thought, I've never seen any of mine anywhere near my zoas, of course I never can keep zoas happy anyhow. 

• Like 2

The tank has reached the point where all I need to do is making sure I don't f'd up the alk - the basic BRS doser took care of that on a timer outlet.  I no longer run any filtration beyond floss - and still got little to no algae.   The little that I had recently, the pygmy angel took care of it.  I started dosing Fuel to the tank more frequently, looks like the colors are more vibrant because of it - time will tell.  Also hoping for just enough excess nutrients so there'll be some algae for the angel to graze on rather than nipping at the zoas.  a few acros have been on the decline, one STN and a couple browning, while most others have been doing well,:rant:stupid acros can't please them all.  fragged the STN one, hopefully that helps. 

hope to clear the random frags off the sand bed this week.    

On 12/14/2018 at 12:20 PM, specore said:

You sure he's not just chasing pods, etc hidden in the zoas?  Just a thought, I've never seen any of mine anywhere near my zoas, of course I never can keep zoas happy anyhow. 

It's possible, but the zoas skirts are now all mangled 🤷🏼‍♂️ some has been closed up for a while.  idk. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

A jumbo frag of purple stylo, thanks to @Cultivated Reef.  The rich purple on this is unreal. The branch in the foreground just split since it’s been in my tank. 

I think that’s where I bought mine.  If so, The pics don’t do it justice. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

95% sure that I’ve lost this one 

P9150181

it never recovered from the alk drop before I started using a doser. 

Bummer.... have a photo? I have a small colony where the entire inner structure is dead but the last mm of the tips are growing back, re-encrusting backwards. Don’t give up hope! Check at night for a polyp, just needs one! 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

95% sure that I’ve lost this one 

P9150181

it never recovered from the alk drop before I started using a doser. 

Bummer.  Did I get a piece of that?  

8 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Bummer.... have a photo? I have a small colony where the entire inner structure is dead but the last mm of the tips are growing back, re-encrusting backwards. Don’t give up hope! Check at night for a polyp, just needs one! 

I’ll try to see if I can grab one. 

5 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

if there's no algae growing on it, it may still recover!  I find that once algae takes hold of the dead skeleton, it's pretty frag off the dead and hope for the best

I did frag the piece last wknd. Right now there’s one branch end frag that still has nice tissue on it. Other pieces - not looking good at all. 

5 hours ago, --chris-- said:

Bummer.  Did I get a piece of that?  

Nope, it was already on the downhill right around then. So I didn’t cut you any. 

A Little Blue
17 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Have you considered washing your hands occasionally? 

Not that..... I'll give an example in my build journal tomorrow. Just an example of what happens while in a rush, exhausted and agitated at the same time (recap of earlier today).

• Like 1