Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I would say they look darker, so perhaps they want more light? I can’t tell if they are reaching- are they long or close to the rocks? 

They’re definitely slender and stretched out. I just raised the light another 5% across the board last week. Can’t do too much, gotta go slow, don’t wanna disturb the rest of the tank. 

Added: Wonder if i can try swap their spot with the Rasta rock. The Rastas are flat against the rock and glowing bright. So weird they’re barely inches apart. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Eh, I was planning on send four. Whatever the rules are, I’m probably sending four. 

Sounds good. I guess you can expect a 3-pk of Brewery Vivant from me. I’ll try to throw some interesting one if they have anything in cans.  

Ahhhh the mysteries of the zoas. Sometimes they want more light, sometimes less. And sometimes just changing the spectrum messes with their little heads. I honestly think keeping zoas is harder than acropora. 

Are there any on the outer or bottom spots getting less light? And are they better or worse for color? 

I have Sunny D's from the same original colony in two spots in my 30g frag tank as well as in my 10g tank. The ones in the 10g tank have better color, and they are under less light. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Are there any on the outer or bottom spots getting less light? And are they better or worse for color?

The ones around the edge/side of the rocks are the most stretched out. 

K I think most signs point to more light. Although my parameters and nutrients are still lurking as potential cause still. I don’t keep track, let alone test for, NO3 or PO4, so hard to tell what they like or don’t like. 

tanacharison
14 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Eh, I was planning on send four. Whatever the rules are, I’m probably sending four. 

We already have rules? 🤣 Ok so should we profile a different brewery each time or just end a mix? I'm at home making a Belgian Dark Ale with 5 different malts, Vanilla been and Savannah Bee Acacia.. its my holiday gift to each of you hahaha... Don't drink alone at 11.5% I named it after one episode of my favorite shows... The Upside Down

Here is the pack I want to go with first all from Voodoo Brewing if it's untried

WYNONA'S BIG BROWN ALE 7.5%

KILLAPILZ IMPERIAL LAGER 7.5%

White Magick of the Sun  (Spiced wheat) 7.3%

Plus whatever good seasonal they have

• Like 1

The Sunny D's are very large, correct? The large pink paly/zoas in my tank "stretch" but grow way to quickly. 

Give them a few weeks and see how they react. Like @teenyreef said, sometimes they can be more finicky than acros! 

• Like 2

Today is a good day for the reef tank. Not only that I got rid of some of the hodgepodge frags and broken pieces. I made $100 cash from them PLUS a nice frag of JOL, one of my personal must have’s.  Pics this evening.  

• Like 1

10/7/2018 - finally cleaned up the tank.

45111017512_86a529e91b_b.jpg

Introduce the new JOL frag!!!  one of my all-time always-wanted corals (bad focus).  Did a major clear-out for the frag rack, finally felt less of a cluster f*ck. 

30221538397_8cec21ee8e_b.jpg

• Like 10
On 10/7/2018 at 1:28 PM, teenyreef said:

Woo hoo! Looks good. 

Thnx! Far from being as good looking as yours. But I’m working on getting there. 😊

On 10/7/2018 at 2:11 PM, Polarcollision said:

Wowza! Look at that monti turning into a beautiful cup

Yeup!  Very up and up for that one, getting huge! After the pruning of the red one to the side, I just noticed that they’re almost identical in size now.  

9 hours ago, DaveFason said:

The tank is looking great. What is the acro near the caps in the middle?

The Cali tort  

P8250083

• Like 3

That cali tort :wub:

I have a tort that was sold to me as a cali at a frag swap but it doesn't have that kind of blue. But who knows, maybe as the colors get "more correct" it will turn out that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/9/2018 at 12:42 AM, teenyreef said:

That cali tort :wub:

I have a tort that was sold to me as a cali at a frag swap but it doesn't have that kind of blue. But who knows, maybe as the colors get "more correct" it will turn out that way.

Mine started out half blue half green, more like miyagi tort, then the blue slowly took over.  Sometimes I can barely see any green when I look topdown.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:53 AM, vlangel said:

Really nice looking tank!

Thank you Dawn! Glad you like it.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:28 AM, specore said:

Everything looks happy.  Nice job!

Thanks, I've been running slightly increased blue intensity from before, and it seems to encourage noticeable growth the last week or so.  

On 10/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, --chris-- said:

Agreed!  Everything is so happy looking.  

Thanks! Hopefully, I can keep it that way now that Fall is here, less long wknd away.   

Minor status updates:

• SunnyD, they're slowly starting to brighten up after I moved them to the center of the sandbed (where rasta is in the fts above).
  • Red dragon is shooting out tips all over, woot woot!  
  • What's left of BoP is doing well on the frag rack, along with all my zoa frags
  • SSC doesn't seem to like the more-intense lighting, it had lost some "pop"
  • red planet is finally starting to get some red back after being solid green for a while now, due to the rock chunk broken off and sat on the sand bed. Raised the rock 2-3” above sand bed dead center of the tank. 
  • Like 3
On 10/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, micoastreefing said:

10/7/2018 - finally cleaned up the tank.

45111017512_86a529e91b_b.jpg

Introduce the new JOL frag!!!  one of my all-time always-wanted corals (bad focus).  Did a major clear-out for the frag rack, finally felt less of a cluster f*ck. 

30221538397_8cec21ee8e_b.jpg

I feel like those montis need their own feature tank...... they are perfect. 😀

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I feel like those montis need their own feature tank...... they are perfect. 😀

Thanks Christy! Means a lot coming from a fellow monti lover. 😁 I wish I have the funds, the room (they’ll need a lot of room), or the time to have a monti-dominated tank - that’d be sooo cool. 

on another note, came down to feed the tank. This acan had been on a growth spurt, always puffed up. But sometimes, they look even cooler when they aren’t so puffy. 

43559314160_658f177fe2_b.jpg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks Christy! Means a lot coming from a fellow monti lover. 😁 I wish I have the funds, the room (they’ll need a lot of room), or the time to have a monti-dominated tank - that’d be sooo cool. 

on another note, came down to feed the tank. This acan had been on a growth spurt, always puffed up. But sometimes, they look even cooler when they aren’t so puffy. 

43559314160_658f177fe2_b.jpg

Here it is all puffed up this morning. 

31511023098_a54776c77e_b.jpg

• Like 3
13 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thanks, I've been running slightly increased blue intensity from before, and it seems to encourage noticeable growth the last week or so.  

hmmm, may have to go a little more blue and see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Adding a few more classics to "the collection".  Thank you @Cultivated Reef, everything is looking nice upon arrival.  That jumbo purple stylo "frag" made my day!!  Good thing it's also friday, should be able to grab some good photos this wknd.  Really have no idea where this many pieces would go among the crowded tank real estate. HAHA  

A frag tank perhaps, 🤔?

45630555802_a814945c28_b.jpg

• Like 2

So just my luck...I didn’t want to jinx myself this morning before the new corals arrived. But the recovered red dragon is now half way dead and expecting it to be completely dead by tomorrow. 

Had another alk drop. Been dosing ~30 ml of Red Sea A & B daily. Welp, I guess some end up precipitated out in the return chamber. So the alk wasn’t as well-maintained as I thought. It measured around 5.7 last night, I added 15 ml and left.  Fast forward thru last night, the buildup of precipitation got so bad it “froze” the return pump. Found the tank with no return flow this morning, who knows how long it had stopped. 

So far the only coral affected is the red dragon. 😔 gonna have to invest in a BRS dosing pump or two, and dose in small quantities throughout the day. 

Or get rid of some SPS. 

• Sad 3