Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

12 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Besides your terrible looking Upscales Microlados, the tank is looking good! This is the time of year I’m jealous of not being in the Mitten. We got to do this beer thing before the good LA beers run out! @tanacharison you in?

Thanks on the tank comment!  You got a pm from me?

for the beers: any brewery/breweries in particular that interests you? You too @tanacharison?  Now that there’re more breweries than there are Starbucks in Grand Rapids, it’s actually make it really hard to nail down a good spot for the full lineup of beers. Founders is the obvious choice. I like mitten brewing company, not sure if they have anything shippable. Arcadia in k-zoo (your old stomping ground?) is pretty solid. Obviously Bell’s and Shorts would be no brainers as well. A more unique choice would be brewery vivant, they do everything Belgian/French farmhouse style. They have a smaller distribution network compared to others, so they might be a good candidate for shipping/sharing.   

That’s Vivant sounds fun! I’ve been off NR a lot this summer touring local breweries. I’ve also begun making my own although nothing great was created yet. If something is good I’ll gladly share it! Depending on what you guys like have some cool stuff around me. I recommend VooDoo, Brew Gentleman, Rivertown and Dancing Gnome for some really good unknowns. Who doesn’t like a 10% wheat beer? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

That’s Vivant sounds fun! I’ve been off NR a lot this summer touring local breweries. I’ve also begun making my own although nothing great was created yet. If something is good I’ll gladly share it! Depending on what you guys like have some cool stuff around me. I recommend VooDoo, Brew Gentleman, Rivertown and Dancing Gnome for some really good unknowns. Who doesn’t like a 10% wheat beer? 

OK, might be swinging by Vivant brew pub this wknd, I'll see what they're offering for seasonals.  They just had their wood-aged beer fest a weekend or two ago - where they pretty much bourbon-barreled everything they made, and threw a parking lot party.  Went to that a couple of years ago = delicious & fun.  Wonder if they have any of those wood-aged stuff left.     

I was just in Vivant in GR last weeked for the first time.  It was nice to get all that stuff fresh, but uhhh....skip the chocolate board and get the poutine!  

Beautiful tank, I was browsing looking for some inspiration for my tank as I have hit the blahs with it....you have been skimmerless for how long now?

17 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

I was just in Vivant in GR last weeked for the first time.  It was nice to get all that stuff fresh, but uhhh....skip the chocolate board and get the poutine!  

Beautiful tank, I was browsing looking for some inspiration for my tank as I have hit the blahs with it....you have been skimmerless for how long now?

Thank you!

Next time, go straight to the duck nachos for apps. seriously, it may have been one of the few subtle reasons why I moved to GR, along with BV beers.

I converted from CAD34 to IM30L almost a year ago, Dec 17, 2017 in fact was the actual date as I flipped back many pages ago 😄.  I have not had the skimmer in this tank ever - over 9 months.  I'm just glad to have one less thing to monitor performance and do maintenance on.

• Like 1

LOL @ Duck nachos.  We have a pair of Ducks in our back yard that we raised, my wife won't touch duck on the menu now.  I still love Founders more than any other brewery in GR.  I have a pony of "solid gold" in my garage 🙂

I pulled my skimmer about 4 months ago, the room it is in and the skimmer....too much noise together.  I noticed improved coraline growth, but also an increase in nuisance algae if I don't keep up on the GFO and WC's.  Its become more maintenance, which is something I tried to avoid since the start.  

• Like 1
On 9/25/2018 at 10:03 PM, Cannedfish said:

Besides your terrible looking Upscales Microlados, the tank is looking good! This is the time of year I’m jealous of not being in the Mitten. We got to do this beer thing before the good LA beers run out! @tanacharison you in?

Hope you didn't spend all the beer money on the new frag pack.

@spectra, I can't remember if you're a craft beer or a PBR kinda guy, but you sure talk a lot about grabbing/drinking beer in the lounge. PNW has some great breweries. hint hint

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

@spectra, I can't remember if you're a craft beer or a PBR kinda guy, but you sure talk a lot about grabbing/drinking beer in the lounge. PNW has some great breweries. hint hint

PBR :whoa: thats @righttirefire he likes that shitty stuff :lol:

I used to be a beer snob................I have been in the NW since day one when it all started.........I now drink boat beer..............coors light or coors.........went back to my roots I remember coors when I was 15................

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

PBR :whoa: thats @righttirefire he likes that shitty stuff :lol:

I used to be a beer snob................I have been in the NW since day one when it all started.........I now drink boat beer..............coors light or coors.........went back to my roots I remember coors when I was 15................

So Coors Light is much better than PBR? 

Bring back your younger beer snobbery self, and get in on this.  🤨 hmm, that means one more destination to ship beers. oh well, the more the merrier. 

let's establish some basic ground rules if we're to do this for real.  A small 3-pk sampler of your favorite local brews, i.e. something ppl will most likely not able to get unless they visit you.  Shipping only one beer just seems silly, but hey if ppl wanna do just one to get our feet wet in this beer swap game, I'm game too.  It can be dealer's choice, or offer up a few brewery names that ppl could look up the beer line ups, whatever easiest for you.   Just so you know, I like IPA, DIPA, and barrel-aged stuff, no sour please, I'm happy to take dealer's choice. 

@tanacharison what da ya think? seems like a decent plan? 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Bring back your younger beer snobbery self, and get in on this.  🤨 hmm, that means one more destination to ship beers. oh well, the more the merrier. 

let's establish some basic ground rules if we're to do this for real.  A small 3-pk sampler of your favorite local brews, i.e. something ppl will most likely not able to get unless they visit you.  Shipping only one beer just seems silly, but hey if ppl wanna do just one to get our feet wet in this beer swap game, I'm game too.  It can be dealer's choice, or offer up a few brewery names that ppl could look up the beer line ups, whatever easiest for you.   Just so you know, I like IPA, DIPA, and barrel-aged stuff, no sour please, I'm happy to take dealer's choice. 

Oh you want a beer swap?

7 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Yeah I like that! 

Got myself a new toy for the tank, ReefKeeper Lite. I want to eventually set it up with BRS dosers to dose the big 3. We’ll see if this will make my life simpler or end up spend more time messing with the controller. 

Many thanks to @Greatreef777 on hardware classified. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

What happened to my sunnyD?

March 2018

P3130622

8/25/2018

P8250126

it lost so much of the orange.... wt

They don’t look as “frilly” either.......at least in that pic. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They don’t look as “frilly” either.......at least in that pic. 

Nice observation. Not sure why...

1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

my sunny D did the same but my tank crashed so that's my excuse.  same light level as before?

The alk had been yo-yo-ing around most of summer, that could be the cause? But it had been fairly stable for at least the last month or two. There’s a bit more light with the new fixture, but didn’t take sunnyD as being so sensitive.  

• Like 2

Nope surprise me, I’m sending both of you the same thing, because if y’all have had this beer... y’all have some next level underground beer dealer. We probably need some parameters. How many do we send? Do we only send one type of beer? Should we start a thread? This could be a lot of fun!!

On 9/27/2018 at 11:33 PM, micoastreefing said:

2 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Nope surprise me, I’m sending both of you the same thing, because if y’all have had this beer... y’all have some next level underground beer dealer. We probably need some parameters. How many do we send? Do we only send one type of beer? Should we start a thread? This could be a lot of fun!!

Ahead of you, while you’re out pre-celebrating your acro grow out win. See above.  The question is, do we wanna start with one-pk shipment or go for 3-pk?