Innovative Marine Aquariums

20L macro build thread

devaji108

subsea thanks man I do need to read that link for sure.

OK guys update time...SO hear the deal I added the canary blenny, clown goby and the 2 sext shrimp.

did not see the sexys after day 2 :(

the clown hinds 90% of the time.

and I have still have yet to get the canary to eat...I made a DIY fish food from 4 types of fish + NLS pellets. I think they might feed off the sand bed but will not eat for the water. that and not having a good CUC....

yup you guessed it hair alage.

did a 25% water change 2 weeks ago. prob. will do one again here soon.

I was really hoping with all the macros I added at once I could skip the HA...gonna be an interesting time keeping the nutrients for the macros but getting rid of the HA...hummm

any ideas?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think the beginning of a tank is the most difficult time, the excitement and the newness of the aquarium is so fascinating I sometimes forget it take TIME to establishing an ecosystem. I'v been told to enjoy the ugly stage, its part of the natural cycle. #Thestruggleisreal

It sounds like your doing everything right, maybe put a few CUC members in there that will eat HA. Please keep us posted with pictures.

true that my friend! my reef philosophy is more on the bio/natueral side. just gonna do my part it will come around.

if I have to i'll make a small upflow ATS to help out. ordered some gorgs for my 90 so got some goodies for the 20L.

10X nass, sails

50X dwarf cerith snail

and mermaids/sea pansy fan macro algae.

I am also looking for some of the"mini conches" i hear they do a good good on HA but will leave the macros be..so when I can get my hands on some I will for sure.

here is the last FTS as you can see the HA has taken over. I think I am gonna make a small ATS for this tank to get think under control.

514fdf80c757d9fcf074df218068d8d7.jpg

so I am thinking up adding a upflow ATS to the mix. or a HOB skimmer to this tank.

will be doing another 25% WC today.

but feel I need more nutrient export.

i'll let you know what I end up doing...

subsea thanks man I do need to read that link for sure.

OK guys update time...SO hear the deal I added the canary blenny, clown goby and the 2 sext shrimp.

did not see the sexys after day 2 :(

the clown hinds 90% of the time.

and I have still have yet to get the canary to eat...I made a DIY fish food from 4 types of fish + NLS pellets. I think they might feed off the sand bed but will not eat for the water. that and not having a good CUC....

yup you guessed it hair alage.

did a 25% water change 2 weeks ago. prob. will do one again here soon.

I was really hoping with all the macros I added at once I could skip the HA...gonna be an interesting time keeping the nutrients for the macros but getting rid of the HA...hummm

any ideas?

I just thought of something. It takes macros a bit of time before they establish and really start growing. So it could be that's what gave the hair algae time to get established. Totally forgot to mention as well! Did you leave the coralline in there? No need to toss it as just like the coralline on rocks, it will start to come back and it won't hurt your tank being in there. Coralline is pretty resilient. I can't remember who posted this but caulerpa definitely needs constant nutrients or it will turn white and "go sexual". If the gha was out competing it while it was establishing, that could be what happened. Keep the roots in there. Caulerpa will regrow from even a very small piece. Blessing and a curse ;)

It could be that you're still dealing with excess nutrients from die off from the live rock. What are your phosphate levels? It does seem weird that the gha is growing on the macros! I would definitely try to remove as much as possible.

Hope some of this helps!

I just thought of something. It takes macros a bit of time before they establish and really start growing. So it could be that's what gave the hair algae time to get established. Totally forgot to mention as well! Did you leave the coralline in there? No need to toss it as just like the coralline on rocks, it will start to come back and it won't hurt your tank being in there. Coralline is pretty resilient. I can't remember who posted this but caulerpa definitely needs constant nutrients or it will turn white and "go sexual". If the gha was out competing it while it was establishing, that could be what happened. Keep the roots in there. Caulerpa will regrow from even a very small piece. Blessing and a curse ;)

It could be that you're still dealing with excess nutrients from die off from the live rock. What are your phosphate levels? It does seem weird that the gha is growing on the macros! I would definitely try to remove as much as possible.

Hope some of this helps!

I had a bunch of HA on codium after I introduced all the macro in my tank, but not on any other macro. I just let it be and did my routine with the tank maintenance. No special additions, no filteration changes. Only reduced the white light on the tank and kept the blues running. After a while things settled down and the HA was gone on its own. During this time, I saw a huge growth spurt in caulerpa and hayi. There was an initial melting of all the macro of which every one was bouncing back on their own timeline. Caulerpa and hayi were the quickest. Codium was next and now purple fans, blue branch and purple branches are bouncing back. Only thing is, my tank is bare bottom.

Hope some of this helps!

oh man I just tossed the coralline yesterday when doing WC :( if was mostly white 95% so I just tossed it.

yeah it is wired the GHA came from no where then BAM tank covered in it. think I am gonna reduce my photo period as well..

hopefully I can get this tank back to looking great!

Ok after many hrs of thinking how to go about dealing with the HA I was between:

skimmer

ATS

chemical filter media

here is the link to the discussion:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/375862-help-me-decide-witch-way-to-baddle-my-gha-in-macro-tank/

I ended up going with intank media basket. PhosGard and BRS ROX.

i am ready to beat this HA. only been a weeek or two but ready to get this tank looking great again.

• 2 weeks later...

got my intank media basket, phosgaurd, filter floss and the BRS carbon will be here tomorrow.

the build quality of the media basket is great.

46160ad2d98aeb547b3ef44c4d10fa0d.jpg

added the phosgaurd to my DIY media bag. anyone know what it is? :P

16ec826b5d0b5d593b52ee71956f65ca.jpg

and this is how I am running it, not sure of the bio media ( been in the tank since day one and was seaded from my other tank) should be on bottom or top?

d2b9705624bb82c91aa8b0709377a1a9.jpg

oh and I did ad a azure damsel. my thinking was t could help train the blenny to eat food from the water column. it has help bring out the bleeny already and a friend say it eat after i fed sooooo....

time will tell if it was a good over or not.

I love the InTank basket, I have one for my AC 70. I used the biomedia for a few months I kept it on top. Floss, chemipure Bio media, I've since pulled it an have it set up Floss,chemipure,purigen,floss

DIY meida panty hose bag? lol

I've been following your build, nice set up. As for the GHA its a pretty new tank, its gonna run its course. I have my 20L set up with an AC70 and have a HOB skimmer Eshopps PSK70. Tank stays crystal clear and I haven't had any algae in a good decent while. Have had my tank up and running going on about 4.5years now. I know your bio load is small, just keep up on the water changes, manual removal, maybe lower the photo period by a few hours per day for a few weeks? Feed a little less?

I love the InTank basket, I have one for my AC 70. I used the biomedia for a few months I kept it on top. Floss, chemipure Bio media, I've since pulled it an have it set up Floss,chemipure,purigen,floss

DIY meida panty hose bag? lol

I've been following your build, nice set up. As for the GHA its a pretty new tank, its gonna run its course. I have my 20L set up with an AC70 and have a HOB skimmer Eshopps PSK70. Tank stays crystal clear and I haven't had any algae in a good decent while. Have had my tank up and running going on about 4.5years now. I know your bio load is small, just keep up on the water changes, manual removal, maybe lower the photo period by a few hours per day for a few weeks? Feed a little less?

yup you nailed it. pantyhose media bag..haha was looking at the one on amazon and was like why pay 5 buck for bag. :D

so you think I should switch out the biomedia and put it on top? so it would go floss , phosGuard, carbon bio media?

yeah tank is pretty new I know just gotta run its course .

glad your fallowing along.

20L are a nice size tank.

YAY! Do I win a prize? lol I agree I love my 20L as well, and honestly on the biomedia I'm sure it really doesn't matter where it's at

• 2 weeks later...

I love macro tanks. Stella's 12 L is pretty cool and I am sure when yours settles, stabilizes and matures it will be great too. I will be following.

I have never seen the Aquaclear media basket. If water enters at bottom and travels up, I would leave it alone. Amphipods and copepods should colonize bioballs with no maintenance required. Activated carbon or other media can be used without disturbing anything else.

• 1 month later...

yeah there pretty cool!

so had I like it a lot.

guess i should do an update soon. lots some macro others are going good. i added a few shrooms to the mix now so its not a 100% macro tank but still focus heavily on it

i'll get some pics up soon...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

oh shoot sorry guys I let the ball drop on the build thread.

yeah I'll get some updates here soon.

been some changes some macros are going good others not so much. I have this wired thin red aiage growing on my dragons breath. guess I should get an ID on it.

added a few more shrooms to the mix and a white feather duster. all in all the tank is running along nicely.

Definitely a big improvement. Now that the HA is under control and the macros are starting to grow do you have any fish to add nutrients to feed the macros.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived