Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rose Petal Microalgae

Sjw361

I have had my tank set up since late Feb, one of my first live rocks I bought had this BEAUTIFUL petal micro algae on it(to clarify I didn't put the rock in my tank until a month and a half after I was set up). The person that sold it to me at the store said it came with the rock, So I bought it. It's been thriving in my tank since I purchased it. In the last week my beautiful micro algae had started to detatch bits of the petals off the rock rock. Now all of it's detached.

I've been trying to find more information on the rose petal micro algae but there doesn't seem to be a lot on it.

Can anyone tell me if it will survive in the tank without being attached to the live rock or will it come back? Or did I just completely lose my favorite thing in my tank...

It sounds like either something dislodged it in which case, macro algae doesn't need to be attached to survive. It might also reattach itself somewhere else. However if part of your cleanup crew eats it, that might be a different story. Also, did you notice if it had stared looking translucent where it detached? If so, this may be an indication there aren't enough nutrients for it to grow well. What are your water parameters?

Defiantly no discoloration, it is a brilliant maroon color. I think it might have gotten to too big for the little bit that was attached to the rock.

But if I leave it in the tank it has the possibility (if only slightly) to reattach?

Archived