inTank Media Baskets

HELP NEEDED. Derasa Clam

mystersyster

mystersyster

I don't want to be dramatic, but something just isn't right. My clam is normally all puffy, and has it's mantle out. Today it hasn't been out as much, and started to look like this after a water change.

20160607_183342_zpsmjupd6uu.jpg

I'm unsure of whats going on. I have looked many times in the dark and haven't found any bad snails. He keeps retracting his mantle in violently every now and then as if something is irritating him. Sigh, I really don't wanna lose this guy. This is what he normally looks like.

20160523_165229_zps7oxikmue.jpg

Salinity: 1.024

Calc: 410

Alk: 8

I don't know much about clams. The only thing I can think of is that something might have crawled into its mouth and is irritating it from the inside. Maybe it will digest it.

mystersyster

I don't know much about clams. The only thing I can think of is that something might have crawled into its mouth and is irritating it from the inside. Maybe it will digest it.

Thanks man. I'm not very popular here I suppose lol. I'm not sure what his deal is, but he is stretched out more today. I'll keep it updated for the next few days.

It looks fine in the first photo, just not fully open. Doesn't look bleached or gaping or anything so I wouldn't worry too much. Something like a shrimp or crab may have walked on it and annoyed it. It could also just be a bit annoyed from the water change. Just like how corals close up for a while after a water change, clams can do the same thing. Since it happened after the water change, you may want to test salinity and other parameters to make sure there wasn't a major parameter swing. Was the water you used for the water change heated to the same temperature as the tank? A temperature swing could irritate the clam. The only other thing to consider would be if an inhabitant is picking at it. Make sure none of your fish or inverts are picking at its mantle and making it want to stay closed.

mystersyster

It looks fine in the first photo, just not fully open. Doesn't look bleached or gaping or anything so I wouldn't worry too much. Something like a shrimp or crab may have walked on it and annoyed it. It could also just be a bit annoyed from the water change. Just like how corals close up for a while after a water change, clams can do the same thing. Since it happened after the water change, you may want to test salinity and other parameters to make sure there wasn't a major parameter swing. Was the water you used for the water change heated to the same temperature as the tank? A temperature swing could irritate the clam. The only other thing to consider would be if an inhabitant is picking at it. Make sure none of your fish or inverts are picking at its mantle and making it want to stay closed.

Hey thanks. Yeah I think he gets annoyed from the cerith snails that try and clean him. A crab of mine really like him, a little too much so he got banished to the sump. Another doesn't seem to care much for him. The water change might have done it. It was only 5 gallons but everything matched as always. I did slightly raise my salinity a little so that I could get it up to 1.025 over time, yet that didn't do much to change it. I also just hooked up a new controller for my powerhead, so the (slightly) different current might have annoyed him. I'm really terrified of losing him even though everything is fine in the tank... he seems to be doing better though so we'll see.

Archived