Innovative Marine Aquariums

In Desperate Need of HELP!

Torqued

Hey folks, I need some help here.

I just got my entire build together, hooked up my bluefish, and it is NOT WORKING!

I have a lumia 5.2 build, using O2Surplus PCBs.

Here is what is happening, and what I have found thusfar.

First. The only channel working is channel 3. The BF will control that perfectly fine, and since I have the fans enabled on that channel, they also work perfect. HOWEVER, no other channel will work. I have tried damn near everything on that PCB to get the thing working but it simply will not fire any channel other than 3. Yes, I have all 5 channels enabled on the channel select using jumpers. I have NO Channel Gang jumpers being used

- All LDD Drivers are in correctly

- I have tested each channel on each Lumia with a DC pwr supply at 12v/500ma and ALL LEDs fire, so I didnt blow any LEDs

I tested the Voltage coming off of the BF and there is voltage on every channel. I also unhooked the LED connectors and tested voltage at the pins, and there WAS voltage, so WTF?!??!?! How the hell can I have voltage across the molex pins, but not have the LEDs light? Is it possible my powersupplies are bad, and cant produce enough power? Honestly I am going nutts here and willing to try just about anything. I think my next step is to dismount the PCBs and test the pins on the rear of the PCB to see if the drivers are transferring power.

I also enabled channel 6, although I dont have any LEDs hooked to that channel, and I DID have voltage across the In side where the LDD would go. So I put a spare LDD on that channel, and i DID get voltage through to the LED output pins....so I powered down, and tranferred one of the non-working channels to channel six....then NOTHING. That channel actually stopped working after that, until I powered down and powered back up. It almost seems like something is tripping the drivers and they are shutting themselves off.

Help me guys, I got about $1400 invested in this damn thing and I am about to pull my hair out :(

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!

You got me looking more closely at something i took for granted.

It turns out that the molex connectors came in two types. Channel 1 on the right, going to channel 5 on left, and the opposite. I had not realized this, and thought they were all the same. To make matters worse, i had done this on ALL 6 LEDs. So it wasnt even obvious that something was wrong on 1 or 2, but all 3 pairs of lumias, so that made it harder to discover something out of whack. Anyway, you were right, the proper ground wires were not connecting to the proper channel. Once i used the right connectors on the ground/output side, everything was gravy.

I will also say, dont be a freggin idiot and plug your AC cord into your DC input for your PCB by mistake. That cost me $50 in 5 new drivers and two SCWs.....Feel like a major bonehead for that one. Thank God I didnt blow up the Bluefish or the arduino on the PCB. I thought for sure i had toasted the entire card, including the BF, and PCB. So instead of being out about $200, im only out $50.

I will say that is one problem with this type of stuff. Directions are pretty limited, so if you havent done it before, mistakes like these are very easily made. Of course if I was to build this thing again, I could do it in 25% of the time, and no mistakes lol....

Thx again!

Archived