ReefCleaners.org

Prepping for 75 gal

Draco

In a few months, I will be upgrading from my JBJ 28 gal cube to a 75 gal tank. While I am not a reef newbie- all I ever had were nanos. a larger tank seems a bit intimdating!

Can someone go over my checklist and tell me if I am missing anything? I was bored and decided to plan, and see if I can pick up some items for good deals along the way.

To Get:

75 Gal Reef-Ready Aquarium with Overflow

Stand

30 lbs Sand (1 inch shallow sandbed)

60-70lbs LR

Sump to be built- size pending on stand (min. 20 gal)

Light- need to research for most corals and nem.

Heater

Optional Items:

Doser

Controller

Already Have:

Aquamaxx HOB Skimmer to put in sump

Refractometer

Test Kits

RO/DI Filter

2 Nano Powerheads (need larger sizes?)

Timer

Salt

variety of supplements

Heater rated for 30 gal

About 15 lbs LR in 28 gal

To Get From Friend:

Two Little Fishies Reactor

Dry LR

PENDING FISH STOCK IDEAS:

2 Clowns (Currently have in 28 nano)

Six-Line Wrasse (currently have in 28 nano)

Kole Tang (Add last)

Midas Blenny

Blue Spot Goby

2 or 3 Blue/Green or Lemon Chromis

Rock Boring Urchin (currently have in 28 nano)

Current Coral Stock

(need lighting ideas to support all corals, including bubble tip anenome):

2 Duncans (4-6 heads each)

Large Zoa Colonies

Mushrooms

Galaxia

Acan

2 Frogspawn frags

Elizabeth94

I would say you may need more powerheads, I cant imagine two nanos keeping up.

Great choice on the skimmer! I hear that 20L's make good sumps, but I m not sure if that would be too smallbfor this tank. Can a 40 breeder fit under there?

Your coral list doesnt have anything that demands too much light, but since it is a larger tank, you may need multiple light fixtures. Unless your budget would allow for a 48" T5 fixture

thanks!

I want to get better lighting to host a nem at least. I have no idea what to look at, lol.

thanks for the powerhead avice, I will upgrade those too

If you aren't attached to the sixline now may be the time to take it back to the store since it will prevent adding a lot of nicer fish.

You will want at least two fairly powerful pumps in there, cheapest option would be Jaebo RW series (15 might be too strong, not sure what number the smaller size is). Ideally a MP40 would be very nice but will cost.

You will want to plan to upgrade the skimmer to an in-sump model at some point, they are much more efficient than a HOB.

I would use less rock, making sure to transfer what rock you have with the current fish load and then go slowly from there with new sand, more rock, slowly adding more fish. be sure to move a couple fo cups of old sand to see the new sand.

Archived