Coral Vue Hydros

Sump LED causing Temp Controller to go nuts. Electrical ppl needed

Grendel0501

Grendel0501

Afew weeks ago I purchased a new sump LED from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Garden-Greenhouse-Hydroponics-Cultivation/dp/B00W6VNR3S/ref=lp_10550259011_1_6?srs=10550259011&ie=UTF8&qid=1464624437&sr=8-6

But after installing the light I noticed my BlueLine temp controller's temp reading was jumping between 4-5 degrees, as soon as I turn off the sump LED the temp goes back to normal.

Then turn the LED on and immediately the temp displayed will go from the normal 78-79 to jumping from anywhere between 75 and 79.

I tried isolating the wire from the LED, not letting it touch any other wires, but that doesn't matter.

As long as the LED is plugged into the same power strip, or socket, the temp controller goes nuts.

I ran a extension from a socket from across the room, just to the LED, and when the LED is turned on it doesn't affect the temp controller. :unsure:

Whats going on here? Is there some way I can get this LED to work on the same power strip as the temp controller?

Thats odd.

At first I thought maybe the light has no fan or made out of a material that doesn't allow for cooling- therefore causing a spike in heat.

I don't use controllers but I know some products aren't compatible with certain controllers. Maybe thats the issue?

Grendel0501

Weird, I have a different tank, with the same temp controller, if I move that light over to that power strip it isn't affected.

Grendel0501

This sucks, this LED is perfect for my sump and I love it.

I was hoping somone could instruct me on how to get it working properly, since returning it will probably get me a similar product.

Does anyone know exactly what is going on? and maybe how to fix it so I can still use this setup?

Grendel0501

Did you swap power strips between tanks?

I was wrong about it not happening on the second tank.

When the second (nano 16g) tank is in sleep mode, the voltage drop isn't enough to cause the temp display to go nuts. (it only moves by 0.2 degrees)

But later in the day when the main lights are on, the LED does cause the temp controller to go nuts. (4-5 degrees)

So its less noticeable when the total draw is less, but it does happen.

Also it happens on the same socket, not only the power strip.

jedimasterben

Yeah, that means it has interference with more than just the strip or temp controller, it is a combination of things, but should still end with getting the light swapped out to see if you just got a bad egg.

Archived