Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

tanacharison
54 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I spotted the yellow coris wrasse swimming around earlier today so he's still alive :biggrin:

I sent in an ATI test kit a week or so ago and the results have been posted. Calcium is low (which I knew) at about 370. Aluminum was also a bit elevated, which I've seen come and go. I'll probably put in another dose of Panta Lith, which has turned out to be a universal fix for unwanted elements. But I will have wait until I get my nutrients back up since Panta Lith also cleans up nitrates and phosphates.

My RODI results are a little more concerning. Everything was zero except for silica which was high at 700 ug/l. So even though my TDS meter was still reading zero, I ordered a new set of filters for the RODI unit including a Silica Buster DI cartridge. That silica can't be helping my algae control efforts at all!

I should get my RODI tested this is a great idea! I'm planning on doing the 54 I'm very curious what all this AF is dumping into my tank. If this is a TOTM party where is the beer?!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I should get my RODI tested this is a great idea! I'm planning on doing the 54 I'm very curious what all this AF is dumping into my tank. If this is a TOTM party where is the beer?!

Overall I prefer the ATI test over the Triton. ATI test nitrates, which Triton does not. More importantly, ATI include the additional RODI test, and they pay for the postage. At about $3 postage that's fantastic considering ATI is cheaper than Triton to begin with.  

However, Triton does test a few trace elements that ATI does not. I've been alternating between the two, but I'll probably just do ATI from now on. The free postage alone is worth it to me.

Oh, and I had some beer earlier tonight, but none of you were here?

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Yellow Coris wrasses are skittish, more so than any other wrasse. The Coral Beauty was the one that was taking care of the thread worms, the YCW could have too, but the CBA loves them.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I spotted the yellow coris wrasse swimming around earlier today so he's still alive :biggrin:

I sent in an ATI test kit a week or so ago and the results have been posted. Calcium is low (which I knew) at about 370. Aluminum was also a bit elevated, which I've seen come and go. I'll probably put in another dose of Panta Lith, which has turned out to be a universal fix for unwanted elements. But I will have wait until I get my nutrients back up since Panta Lith also cleans up nitrates and phosphates.

My RODI results are a little more concerning. Everything was zero except for silica which was high at 700 ug/l. So even though my TDS meter was still reading zero, I ordered a new set of filters for the RODI unit including a Silica Buster DI cartridge. That silica can't be helping my algae control efforts at all!

Your algae will be very disappointed when you start using the silica buster. :lol:

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, --chris-- said:

Is this guy TOTM?  Congrats!  Everything looks very worthy!  

Thanks!

5 hours ago, gena said:

Oh my gosh....you got TOTM?????  Congratulations!!!!!!  I'll have to go read about it 🙂.  

Thanks, Gena! Hope things are going well in your plans for the new digs 🙂

9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yellow Coris wrasses are skittish, more so than any other wrasse. The Coral Beauty was the one that was taking care of the thread worms, the YCW could have too, but the CBA loves them.

Yeah, my old ycw was shy at first but after a week or so he got where he spent all his time cruising around the upper third of the tank and hardly ever hid. But he

eventually jumped and somehow ended up all the way in the back of the cabinet below the tank.

I will probably get a new CB as well, I loved the old one and I never saw him nip at the corals. Although my PE is better now...but I don't if that' because the corals are getting bigger or if the CB was to blame. 

But it's good to know the CB was the most likely worm control candidate, that encourages me to get another one 🙂

6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Your algae will be very disappointed when you start using the silica buster. :lol:

I hope so! :lol:

• Haha 1

Yes, way to go teeny!  Every tank you touch eventually is TOTM! (I will be watching for your jar to be next, ha ha!)  Well deserved.  

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I haven’t been on NR much but I see you got TOTM!  Congrats teeny. Well deserved, your tanks are always inspiring and beautiful!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I haven’t been on NR much but I see you got TOTM!  Congrats teeny. Well deserved, your tanks are always inspiring and beautiful!

Thank you! Hope you are back more soon!

On 6/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, vlangel said:

Yes, way to go teeny!  Every tank you touch eventually is TOTM! (I will be watching for your jar to be next, ha ha!)  Well deserved.  

Thanks, Dawn. Unfortunately, I think I'll be shutting down the jar. Too much algae, too many tanks. But it was a great experiment. And I might try setting it back up again fresh some day just to see what I can do differently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 6/11/2018 at 11:51 AM, kimberbee said:

Congrats on TOTM!! :wub:

Thanks Kimberbee! I need to go check out your thread. Hope the frag-to-be and the mother colony are doing well :biggrin:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Thank you! Hope you are back more soon!

Thanks, Dawn. Unfortunately, I think I'll be shutting down the jar. Too much algae, too many tanks. But it was a great experiment. And I might try setting it back up again fresh some day just to see what I can do differently.

Well, that escalated quickly :lol:

The jar is shut down now. It took all of ten minutes to pull out the rocks, put the pieces with corals on them in the frag tank, empty the jar, and clean the jar and heater. It was probably three minutes to break down and seven minutes of cleaning.

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
16 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Well, that escalated quickly :lol:

The jar is shut down now. It took all of ten minutes to pull out the rocks, put the pieces with corals on them in the frag tank, empty the jar, and clean the jar and heater. It was probably three minutes to break down and seven minutes of cleaning.

O wow, you don't mess around!  I am sad to hear its down but I certainly understand too many tanks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

O wow, you don't mess around!  I am sad to hear its down but I certainly understand too many tanks.

Ha ha, actually, I thought about it really hard last weekend, I just didn't do it. I have to thank you for getting me up off my butt :lol:

I was starting to worry about the yellow coris wrasse because I hadn't seen him since the day after I got him. But he came out today looking just fine. Ten minutes later he was gone again. So I feel much better now 🙂

• Like 2

Things are looking great as always Teeny.  Congrats on another TOTM and your corals always make me so happy.  Glad everything is coloring up

• Like 1
14 hours ago, drgibby said:

Things are looking great as always Teeny.  Congrats on another TOTM and your corals always make me so happy.  Glad everything is coloring up

BUY ANOTHER TANK. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
34 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

BUY ANOTHER TANK. 😛

The wife moves to North Carolina this July.  Then next year she graduates and we can set up some roots 🙂.  Trust me i miss the salt water 😞 

• Like 2
On 6/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, drgibby said:

The wife moves to North Carolina this July.  Then next year she graduates and we can set up some roots 🙂.  Trust me i miss the salt water 😞 

That would be awesome! I owe you some frags 🙂

• Like 1

Just got back from a short trip, and the tank did fine. But the algae is still growing strong and really started to get bad since I wasn't around to keep it under control. Good news though, by letting it grow out, it's structure is more obvious and I can identify it now. The bad news is, it's bryopsis... 

That does explain why nothing I've done with nutrient control has done anything to the algae. 

I started to suspect bryopsis about a week ago when adjusting nutrient levels wasn't helping, so I ordered some Fluco then and it came in over the weekend. The fluconazole treatment started tonight! 

Some ugly algae pics:

20180621-untitled-002.jpg

20180621-untitled-021.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1