inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

15 hours ago, Matteo said:

Do you get heat for having a foxface? I really want to get a baby one for my nuvo40. I do plan on upgrading in a year or so. 

You'll be fine with a Foxy in an IM40. The tang police need to DIAF! At certain times of the year REALLY tiny ones are available out of Fiji. Do be warned, the vulpinis and Magnificent sometimes nip at LPS and clam mantles. I have to move mine when I get a couple boxes of clams in.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

You'll be fine with a Foxy in an IM40. The tang police need to DIAF! At certain times of the year REALLY tiny ones are available out of Fiji. Do be warned, the vulpinis and Magnificent sometimes nip at LPS and clam mantles. I have to move mine when I get a couple boxes of clams in.

I ended getting a small damsel instead fo an open swimmer. I'll get a foxface when I upgrade 🙂 they're one of my favorites and I prefer them over yellow tangs any day 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I ended getting a small damsel instead fo an open swimmer. I'll get a foxface when I upgrade 🙂 they're one of my favorites and I prefer them over yellow tangs any day 

You know what the best tang is? Fiji Sailfin tangs, I love them. No attitude or aggression. We raised Sam up from a little nipper, he was about 1" when we got him. That'll teach me to tell Walt Smith to send the smallest one available, lol. This pic is after we had him for a couple months. Sorry for the hijack teeny. 😄

nrNep55.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
On 11/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, StinkyBunny said:

You know what the best tang is? Fiji Sailfin tangs, I love them. No attitude or aggression. We raised Sam up from a little nipper, he was about 1" when we got him. That'll teach me to tell Walt Smith to send the smallest one available, lol. This pic is after we had him for a couple months. Sorry for the hijack teeny. 😄

nrNep55.jpg

That's an awesome hijack, no apology needed!

My foxface is doing great but getting big. I'll post a picture of him when I do that next picture dump.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

I love sail fin tangs and had one for many years. Tough as nails that guy was. Wootang was his name..

so he was nothing to F with

😆

• Haha 5
On 11/19/2019 at 1:14 AM, Tamberav said:

I wish foxface stayed smaller... they aren't spazzy like Tangs but they are so much cuter when tiny. 

I have a rather friendly foxface, all he wants to do is touchie. Im all about that no touchie life

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, JBM said:

I have a rather friendly foxface, all he wants to do is touchie. Im all about that no touchie life

If you're one of the unfortunate people that is allergic to Foxface toxin, it can make for a bad day. It burns like hell when they get you.

• Like 1

I am the minority in that I am not crazy about tangs although I appreciate they eat algae. 

The one exception is the sail fin tang. I am constantly tempted to put a small one in my 80g which it would obviously outgrow 🧐 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am the minority in that I am not crazy about tangs although I appreciate they eat algae. 

The one exception is the sail fin tang. I am constantly tempted to put a small one in my 80g which it would obviously outgrow 🧐 

I have a hippo in my 80. I know my time with it is limited.

• Like 1

Hi Teeny,

My Foxface is getting big for my 150 🙂

So I killed about 1/4 of my big Katropora and harmed both my frags as well.  Nitrate has climbed to near 20 so I started adding vinegar to the Kalk topoff.  The Nitrate drop was slow but the Katropora hated it, just flat out hated it.  The center is recovering and gaining color but I was shocked at the reaction.  I suspect KH swings a few months ago plus the nitrate drop were just too much for it.  Thing is my most sensitive acros are doing fine.  /shrug   Every acro is different.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
On 11/28/2019 at 3:20 PM, JBM said:

I have a hippo in my 80. I know my time with it is limited.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:25 AM, Tamberav said:

This is a large fish in small tank friendly thread 😁

• Like 2
On 11/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, markalot said:

Hi Teeny,

My Foxface is getting big for my 150 🙂

So I killed about 1/4 of my big Katropora and harmed both my frags as well.  Nitrate has climbed to near 20 so I started adding vinegar to the Kalk topoff.  The Nitrate drop was slow but the Katropora hated it, just flat out hated it.  The center is recovering and gaining color but I was shocked at the reaction.  I suspect KH swings a few months ago plus the nitrate drop were just too much for it.  Thing is my most sensitive acros are doing fine.  /shrug   Every acro is different.  

I figured if the fox face kept the algae under control it would be worth the trouble of catching him eventually :wink:

I'm hoping to grow this tank into a shallow 80g or a standard 90 within the next year. I've gone from hoping the foxface won't outgrow the 40g by then to hoping he hasn't outgrown the 80g by then 🙄

I'm sorry to hear about the Katropora, Mark. It's interesting how the Kat always goes against the crowd, doing well when the rest struggle and vice versa. 

As my tanks get fully mature, it really seems that over time, the number one cause of sps death ultimately gets traced back to some kind of alk swing, either by itself, or in combination with something else. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

This is a large fish in small tank friendly thread 😁

I just know a large fish when getting closer to adult size looks really awkward in a small tank. So if I put a sailfin in my 80g which footprint should be fine for a baby... I will have to pull it eventually since it would end up looking silly in there. Tangs grow slower than foxfaces at least. 

My #1 choice is a copperband though... just tough to find a healthy one. 

• Like 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

I just know a large fish when getting closer to adult size looks really awkward in a small tank. So if I put a sailfin in my 80g which footprint should be fine for a baby... I will have to pull it eventually since it would end up looking silly in there. Tangs grow slower than foxfaces at least. 

I agree! My nano foxface isn't so nano any more. Like anything else in this hobby, we have to pay attention and address growth issues all the time. 

I'd love a copper band too, I've always worried about getting a healthy one, though. 

• Like 2

I should point out I have a baby wrasse that can grow to a whopping 10 inches and I have the LFS on the hunt for another one for me that grows to 9 inches.

Wrasses grow very slow though so I have no anxiety about catching them as I will likely buy a house before they even get close to their adult size.

Foxfaces are fast growers or I would have one of those!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you're looking for a good Copperband ask your retailer where it comes from. If they don't know or won't tell you pass. It's likely a grenade from Bali. The best come from RVS in The Philippines. That's the only place I buy them from for myself. RVS isn't the cheapest, but they ship the nicest looking Copperbands in the business other than Australia.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you're looking for a good Copperband ask your retailer where it comes from. If they don't know or won't tell you pass. It's likely a grenade from Bali. The best come from RVS in The Philippines. That's the only place I buy them from for myself. RVS isn't the cheapest, but they ship the nicest looking Copperbands in the business other than Australia.

What you mean by RVS? They are a good LFS and will give me whatever information they can or I can request one from a certain area.

They have a nice one in one their pond that I wish I could just snatch....

It used to have lookdowns and stuff but the pond sprung a leak 😞 They just recently fixed it up. I saw the copperband looking nice and was like damn it... jump in my pocket!

MVIMG_20191130_144817.thumb.jpg.1e7b2a33c64984d17bcb00ec4e11c663.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What you mean by RVS? They are a good LFS and will give me whatever information they can or I can request one from a certain area.

RVS is a collection company in The Philippines. They are net caught fish held in a state of the art holding facility.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone! Instead of doing day after Christmas shopping, I stayed home and did water changes and tank maintenance today.

I'm going to get more serious about tank maintenance and care this new year. Things still aren't "quite right" in this tank. I removed all the zoas about a month ago because they still weren't recovering, and they started getting better almost overnight in the 30g frag tank. The acans are still struggling, too, but they're less easy to relocate. But as a test, I relocated the yellow wall acans to the 10g tank, and they recovered almost completely in about three days.

The sps continue to do well - they WWC Yellow Tips are turning into a huge colony that I really need to trim back again now. All the frags in the frag racks are doing well and overgrowing the racks. But the colors aren't as good as they have been in the past.

Now that I'm on vacation for a couple weeks and not constantly traveling, I'm going to try some repeated water changes - twice a week, at least 10-15 gallons each time.

In the meantime, I took a top down shot while the water was low during the water change:

2019-12-26 IM40 Top Down:

2019-12-26 IM40 Top Down

• Like 5
  • Wow 5