Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

On 9/16/2018 at 7:54 AM, micoastreefing said:

Looking wonderful as always. The WD is coming along nicely. 

Thanks - I'm really excited to see it growing fast and bushy 🙂

On 9/16/2018 at 9:24 AM, A Little Blue said:

I like a lot!!👍👍👍👍

Thank you!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, YHSublime said:

How are you running the Algae Scrubber? I'm wanting to add one to my tank but can't figure out a good solution on a nano sized tank. Also, my WD is pulling the same colors, BUT not branching nicely like yours!

It's a drop in ATS and I have it in the chamber #2 on the right side. So it goes right after the chamber with the media caddy.

Post a pic of your WD in your build thread! I love your tank :wub:

13 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Looks great John! A few of the corals are really coming along nicely. 

Thanks Dave! Nanobox LED + T5 = winning

10 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

It's a drop in ATS and I have it in the chamber #2 on the right side. So it goes right after the chamber with the media caddy.

Post a pic of your WD in your build thread! I love your tank :wub:

I'll be following progress to if it yields results. Once everything is set and forget I hate plumbing in new things, so I like that it's plug and play.

I'll grab a shot of the WD, it's currently underwhelming! And thank you, I'm a big fan of yours as well! 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I'll be following progress to if it yields results. Once everything is set and forget I hate plumbing in new things, so I like that it's plug and play.

I'll grab a shot of the WD, it's currently underwhelming! And thank you, I'm a big fan of yours as well! 

Thanks! The ATS should be pretty easy to deal with in this tank. It's not a tight fit so it's easy to lift it out of the back chamber. The door shuts with a built in clip, so it should be really easy to harvest the algae.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:32 PM, teenyreef said:

The ATS arrived last Wednesday, so I've had it running for three days now. It's the DROP 1.2x from Santa Monica Filtration.

Do you think the 1.2 would work in the middle chamber on the IM10? I’m really anxious to see how it works out for you. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Porkpie5000 said:

Do you think the 1.2 would work in the middle chamber on the IM10? I’m really anxious to see how it works out for you. 

I think it would be too big and would block the flow through the chamber. I've thought about a DROP .6x in my IM10. It should fit, but it would mean giving up the skimmer. Maybe if this experiment works out I'll try it. 

10 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I think it would be too big and would block the flow through the chamber. I've thought about a DROP .6x in my IM10. It should fit, but it would mean giving up the skimmer. Maybe if this experiment works out I'll try it. 

I don't have a skimmer in there. I currently have the InTank Fuge Basket full of MarinePure Spheres. I could l slowly remove those and try the ATS. I'm going to follow your progress and see how it goes!

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

I don't have a skimmer in there. I currently have the InTank Fuge Basket full of MarinePure Spheres. I could l slowly remove those and try the ATS. I'm going to follow your progress and see how it goes!

I think that would be a good approach! 

While I had the macro lens and tripod set up, I got some decent shots of a few corals. 

Katropora:

20180917-untitled-030.jpg

WD tenuis:

20180917-untitled-025.jpg

Favia:

20180917-untitled-018.jpg

Electric miyagi tort:

20180917-untitled-032.jpg

Upscales microlados:

20180917-untitled-026.jpg

War coral:

20180917-untitled-016.jpg

• Like 10
skyscraper2290

Great pictures! Everything looks very healthy and happy. When I stopped getting on this forum a couple years ago @markalot tank was still in the beginning and I have been going back through his entire thread and just love the Kat so much. Such an awesome piece!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Great pictures! Everything looks very healthy and happy. When I stopped getting on this forum a couple years ago @markalot tank was still in the beginning and I have been going back through his entire thread and just love the Kat so much. Such an awesome piece!

Thanks! I am very lucky to have been able to get a frag, passed down to me when another member had to break down his tank.

When you have used Poly-Filter in the past, how long did you leave it in for?

I noticed the interior magnet on my Osmolator float switch has rust all over it. I don't think the magnet itself rusted, I think it attracted something that rusted. I'd like to run some Poly-Filter in the media rack for a little while just to be safe.

Thanks!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

When you have used Poly-Filter in the past, how long did you leave it in for?

I noticed the interior magnet on my Osmolator float switch has rust all over it. I don't think the magnet itself rusted, I think it attracted something that rusted. I'd like to run some Poly-Filter in the media rack for a little while just to be safe.

Thanks!

I've seen the same thing - the magnet attracts iron particles and it shows as rust.

I've left my Poly Filter in for weeks at a time by putting it underneath a layer of regular floss. 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

Can I “over poly-filter”? Is that a concern?

In theory you can strip the tank of nutrients and trace elements. So now I only use mine when I think there's something that specifically needs to be removed. 

Here's the algae growth in the ATS after one week. About what I expected, just some smudges and a few hairs. But it should be quite different in a another week.

20180919_204316.jpg

• Like 3

The other night, I broke the zoa rock up and did a light iodine dip on all the pieces. Most of them looked better almost immediately. I did another light iodine dip tonight. Pictures later this week, assuming they don't all die on me tomorrow.

Also, Jason Fox corals had a live sale on Saturday. I was just driving by, minding my own business, when I was physically coerced into sitting in front of my computer hitting the refresh button every two seconds going after those good deal special $5 and $10 frags. I even got a couple, which more than made up for the expensive ones I bought to make up for the heartbreak of missing the really good deals :lol:

They should arrive Wednesday. I expect to put most or all of them in the frag tank initially just because this tank is so full already. But just to document what they look like on the web site (since they will never look like this again after I get through with them), here's what's coming:

JF Enchanted Forest:

20180922-untitled-009.jpg

ARC Fireworks:

20180922-untitled-008.jpg

JF Cry Babies:

20180922-untitled-007.jpg

JF Ice Breaker:

20180919-untitled-006.jpg

JF Maze Brain:

20180919-untitled-005.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear:

20180918-untitled-004.jpg

JF Sidetracked Goni

20180914-untitled-003.jpg

JF Hateraid:

20180913-untitled-002.jpg

JF Supersonic Echinata:

20180913-untitled-001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

I messed up when I picked the shipping date for the JF live sale. I meant to request Wednesday delivery but ended up asking for Thursday. So the corals arrive tomorrow. That's a little difficult because I won't be home in the morning, but my teenage son will be there to accept the delivery. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

At the two week mark, here's the underwhelming algae growth in the ATS.

20180926_204020.jpg

I kind of expected it because I don't have much algae growth in the display right now. But I at least hoped for more slime. The instructions say that if you have bare white patches to reduce the photoperiod by two hours. So I'll do that next and check again in a week.

In the meantime, I have NoPox dosing turned off since back when I did the most recent round of fluco, and I haven't been dosing PhosphateRx because I don't want to artificially reduce phosphates, which could mess up the algae growth in the ATS. So over the last month Nitrates have gone up to about 24, and phosphates have bounced between .1 and .15. 

But there's no indication of browning in the acros and everything is healthy with no algae growth. The only thing I'm seeing is some red slime type algae in some of the corners where the flow is low (probably cyano). So I'm going to ride it out until I get algae in the ATS, or I see bad things happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, markalot said:

Pinky the Bear.  lol.   Hope it holds that color for you.  I miss my pink acro. 

Me too! From what I see from google image searches, it seems to be hit or miss in real world tanks. Which I know matches challenges we've both had with getting pink and red stuff to stay that way.